Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know when is a good time to get your first oil change? I heard many people say you should change it on the firsk 1K miles, then every 3K after that, but the manual said only every 5K?

any recommendations?

oh yeah, does anyone know how to remove the cartrige oil filter? i heard there is a tool that does it.

Thanks

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
I've also heard that you should change fairly soon after the break in period. Personally, I would feel better getting it done. I don't know if it's necessary or not though. Anybody else?
If you drive like 99% of this country, every 3K miles is the recommended oil change interval. 5K I think is for people who do primarily highway mileage.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I remember when I first bought the car, my dealer told me to have the first oil change at 4000km and every 8000km thereafter.
But when I ask the manager from the service department, he insist me to do the first oil change at 8000km; he said it's not necessary to have an oil change prior 8000km becoz of the motor oil they use....

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
BMM3 said:
PL said:
oh yeah, does anyone know how to remove the cartrige oil filter? i heard there is a tool that does it.Thanks
A cartridge oil filter? Am I missing something? :?: :?
The oil filter is not the traditional screw-on type, it is a cartridge type. One member here brought his car to a quick-lube type place, not the Mazda dealer, and they tried to use a screw -on filter. Needless to say the oil filter fell off ,and all the oil leaked out, seizing the engine. The oil change place is paying for a new engine.

I forget where his topic is about this, either in "Powertrain" or "Mazda3".

·
Registered
420 Posts
:shock: Never heard of such :? Are these cartidge filters available at Autozone, etc., cause I plan to change my own oil as I have my past cars. And exactlly how does it work?

·
Registered
47 Posts
i am looking in my manual now, and it says change oil every 6 months/7500 miles (page 8-4).. is this right?

·
Registered
266 Posts
The manual says that if you live in dusty places, have to use excessive breakes (eg:you live in a mountainous area), drive in areas that are salty (eg: near the sea, or roads are salted in winter), drive on rough or muddy roads, drive a lot in stop start conditions, or in extreme temperatures then oil changes are every 5000 miles (or 8000 kilometres). If none of those conditions apply then the oil changes are every 7500miles (12000 kilometres). Hope this answers the question.

·
Registered
773 Posts
In other words, if you don't live in Eden, you're on the 5k interval. Think about it, in the US, if you're not near an ocean or dusty roads, you're in lots of rain and thus mud. They should just use a system like BMW, which monitors your driving and tells you exactly when to get a servicing. Then again, maybe they should be like BMW and have free everything for the first 4 years. mmmm, free everything. I'd be really abusing that I'll bet.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I would have thought that many North Americans did a lot of freeway driving and that the 7500 mile oil change would be the go. :) . As for BMW driving monitors, hey this ain't no BMW! Mind you we still get a lot of bang for the buck so we should be reasonably satisfed :wink:

·
Registered
773 Posts
Not complaining, just wishing, as I would to win the Lottery. And while a majority of my driving is on the freeway, I'm still going to go with a 3 month interval on oil changes. Hey, it can't hurt, right? And I live in a very temperate area, so there aren't very high/low temps to worry about.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I took delivery of my car yesterday. My first question to salesperson was when to do first oil change and he replied that first one should be done at 7500 miles not before that, and I'm in Boston, MA. I was bit surprised but then dealer showed me manual for 3 and it clearly states to do oil change at 7500 mile / 6 months.

What do you think ?

·
Registered
47 Posts
mjoshi said:
I took delivery of my car yesterday. My first question to salesperson was when to do first oil change and he replied that first one should be done at 7500 miles not before that, and I'm in Boston, MA. I was bit surprised but then dealer showed me manual for 3 and it clearly states to do oil change at 7500 mile / 6 months.

What do you think ?
yeah, thats what threw me for a loop. but thats cool, savews us money right?!

And hey to you over in boston :)

·
Registered
296 Posts
mjoshi said:

What do you think ?
the salesperson told me 3000 miles, i'm in boston also. i bought my car at Norwood.

·
Registered
47 Posts
beyonddc said:
mjoshi said:

What do you think ?
the salesperson told me 3000 miles, i'm in boston also. i bought my car at Norwood.
remember, most salesmen know less about the car than the customer (well informed customer that is)

so do we have a number or what. 7500 miles it is up here in New england?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hello to NewEnglander, I'm in Clinton MA. Todate I've seen only one black MZ3 Hatchback in worcester hill area. This car is so cute it turns head wherever you go.

I'm loving it...

·
Registered
64 Posts
my salesperson told me 3k, but keep in mind they're trying to make money for the service dept.... i go with click and clack's general advice to do it every 5k.

·
Registered
526 Posts
JiffyLube wants you to think it HAS to be changed at 3K, but realistically 5K is probably safe. But for $20 a pop, 3K isn't that big of a deal...prevention is the best medicine.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I personally wont go to Jiffy Lube, Mazda dealer would be best choice for me. I had bad experience with Jiffy Lube on my Altima. Those guys are always looking for an opportunity to sell you one or other thing. And the quality of work is not that good (atleast place where I visited).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts