1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/xlm.aspx

From their website:
Fuel Economy and Power
AMSOIL XL 5W-20 Synthetic Motor Oil enhances fuel economy and powerful performance. A low coefficient of friction ensures the maximum delivery of engine power with minimal frictional losses.
I just had the dealer put in this amsoil. Wierd thing was they only put in 4 quarts.. the 5th wasn't opened at all. When I got home, I waited a couple min and checked the level and it's full, so I guess it's fine? (shrugs). I've been reading plus heard from numerous sources that I COULD get a slight bump in MPG. I will keep y'all posted. I only have aobut 30 miles on the new oil. I usually get between 24 and 26 in the city and 31 to 33 on the HWY with Mobil 1.

-Fnny

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
That particular Amsoil line isn't a "true synthetic"... it's plagued by the same "problem" that Castrol has (severely refining a dino oil & calling it synthetic). Mobil 1 is a TRUE synthetic... 100% non-dino. Granted, any Amsoil product still has a very robust additive package... but I just thought I would clariy the fact that this particular oil is NOT a "true synthetic".

As for seeing a MPG increase over Mobil 1... No. If you see anything, it will be a decrease.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well hell.

Just thought I would try something different. I did Mobil 1 last change and noticed a slight decrease from the dino oil from the factory. (the last change was the 1st change for the car and my dealer changed over to synth. for me).

But on another front, I heard that Mobil one is not a true synthetic also, it's too is converted from a base III with so many additives to make it synthetic quality? Too much oil talk for me lol.

Thanks for the Low down on oil SiXX. I will keep you posted regardless of the results. I more than likely will keep w/ Mobil 1 since I trust it, but friends who are avid AMSOIL enthusiasts claim otherwise. Plus the shop that is a authorized retailer of AMSOIL told me that it was, "THE BEST THING ON THE MARKET... Better than Redline, Royal Purple, or Mobil 1" and swears by the changing of the oil very 20K w/ just filter changes... that stuff makes me shudder at the though of it. Synth or Dino, I change it every 4k. Maybe an overkill, but I don't mess w/ the life blood of the engine.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update.

I"ve had 2 fill ups since then and here's my MPG:

1st: 24mpg

2nd: 28mpg

All NOVA traffic. I have ~30 lights to work.

-fnny

edit... I'm no grandma when it comes to driving either.. so I"m pretty impressed... we'll see if the trend continues.
:D

·
Registered
7,739 Posts
When I brought Mobil1 5w30 for the dealer to change, they also only used 4 quarts. Didn't even open the 5th quart. :thinking: Checked the oil later and it was full. Something shady going on here? Shouldn't there be 4.5qrts of oil in the car?

I'm not sure about MPG increase. I noticed similar mileage while I had dealer oil previously. I'll have to compare my fillups with dealer oil and these recent ones with this synthetic. I've kept track of almost all fill-ups now for the past 11k miles. :lol:

·
Registered
7,739 Posts
Things that make you go HMMmmmm.

Could the tech guy be pulling a fast one? Not completely draining all the oil?
I checked the oil when i got home and it was almost completely clear. Was hard to tell where it was on the dip stick, but now it's a little more orange in color and i can see it's at the max mark or slightly above it.

·
Registered
501 Posts
SiXX said:
That particular Amsoil line isn't a "true synthetic"... it's plagued by the same "problem" that Castrol has (severely refining a dino oil & calling it synthetic). Mobil 1 is a TRUE synthetic... 100% non-dino. Granted, any Amsoil product still has a very robust additive package... but I just thought I would clariy the fact that this particular oil is NOT a "true synthetic".

As for seeing a MPG increase over Mobil 1... No. If you see anything, it will be a decrease.
SiXX...based on your previous posts, you are WAY too into motor oil...but I respect the hell out of you for that :lol:

By the way, I just got my first oil change last Saturday at my dealer. They use Kendall GT-1 Synthetic blend. What's your take on the Kendall brand?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I honestly can't say. I trust my guys at the dealer, they are pretty good about stuff like that. I'll keep you posted the next time I get an oil change to see if it's 4 again.

-fnny :D

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
totlpkg said:
SiXX said:

SiXX...based on your previous posts, you are WAY too into motor oil...but I respect the hell out of you for that :lol:

By the way, I just got my first oil change last Saturday at my dealer. They use Kendall GT-1 Synthetic blend. What's your take on the Kendall brand?
Hehe, just call me "The Oil Guy" :smokin:

As for what I think of Kendall... it's now put out by ConocoPhillips (the same people who make MotorCraft). As for how similar it is, that I'm not sure of. I really haven't done much research into Kendall in a while... but the last I heard, they really fell off the beatin' path. I'd personally just bring your own 5w20 MotorCraft or Havoline if you're wanting to stay with plain 'ol dino oil. If you're going to go synthetic, Mobil 1 5w20 or 5w30 (for cost savings at Wal-Mart)... or even Royal Purple 5w20.

·
Registered
26 Posts
totlpkg said:
SiXX said:

Not to get off topic, but what dealer do you use, totlpkg? I noticed your location of Akron...And I happen to work there (Uniontown, technically) and use Park Mazda.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Pseudo2 said:
totlpkg said:
SiXX said:

Not to get off topic, but what dealer do you use, totlpkg? I noticed your location of Akron...And I happen to work there (Uniontown, technically) and use Park Mazda.
Pseudo2...I bought my car at Park Mazda...the one on Arlington Rd. Apparently, there is another "Park Mazda" in Wooster. Which one do you use?

·
Registered
26 Posts
totlpkg said:
Pseudo2 said:
totlpkg said:
SiXX said:

Pseudo2...I bought my car at Park Mazda...the one on Arlington Rd. Apparently, there is another "Park Mazda" in Wooster. Which one do you use?
The one on Arlington. I bought mine from there too. :lol:

Looks like I know what they use for oil now. :)

·
Registered
501 Posts
Pseudo2...What/when did you buy? I bought my black 3s 4-dr. on Feb. 11. I've definitely seen more 3's on the road in the last 2-3 months...more
5-doors than sedans. In fact, I was in our Dodge Caravan yesterday (I took IT because it was in the driveway and didn't feel like taking my 3 out of the garage) and almost drove off the side of the road checking out a titanium grey 5-door in the Wal-Mart parking. :oops: Lot of debate about which style is better looking, 5-door or sedan. I like them both and almost bought a 5-door, but with the Caravan, there was no need for extra cargo capacity.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
C'mon guys... letz not hijack the thread anymore. Original question was pertaining to oil changes, so let's try & keep it on track.

:cheers:

·
Registered
878 Posts
The Mazda3 2.3L engine holds 4 1/2 quarts of oil with the filter change. It doesn't matter if it's dino, synthetic or semi synthetic the volume is the same, 4 1/2 quarts. I will say this is a fact, along with my owners Manual. I've changed it 3 times and 4 1/2 quarts puts it on the full line.
I don't know where some of you get your figures/capacities.

Read your owners manual. Trust the manufacturer to know what they designed.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts