Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
did my first oil change last week. the manual clearly states that the oil capacity is 6 U.S. quarts.

but after putting 5 qts in the dip stick read right at the top (full) hole. I checked it after a few days and its still right at the full level.

so is it really supposed to take 6 quarts?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Yes its suppose to be 6 qts. Now this is my first turbo car. I don;t know if the extra quart is for the Turbo I have no clue. But its strange you only took 5.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the turbo's oil cooling lines should feed right off the same reservoir as the engine.

I'll keep an eye on the dip stick level. just wondering what's been the experience of other MS3 owners who've done their own oil changes recently.

and yes, this was with the oil filter changed out.

·
Registered
471 Posts
It took me less than 5L (big jug of Mobil1 5w30).

There is always oil left around and you can't drain it all even with the filter off.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Less than 6

I changed the oil myself and it definitely took less than 6 qts. Dealer did the second change and probably put in 6 which overfilled it....

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree that 5 qts seems to fill up the oil pan completely.

just kinda weird that the manual clearly states it takes 6 qts. :?

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
what is the consensus on this?
6 qt total capacity, but 5 qt for change? Good to know if you are doing yourself.

·
Registered
471 Posts
It takes close to 5 quarts (I have 5L Mobil1 jugs and it took almost 1 jug), you can't remove it all as the service guy told me last time when I said "hum, thought it was 6qt from the manual" and he confirmed that you couldn't get it all out even with the filter out.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I don’t know about FWD. But, when I drove RWD cars it was wise to over fill the sump by 1/2 qt. The logic was; under hard cornering the oil might cling too hard to the side of the sump, moving away from the oil pickup and causing oil starvation.

So I have no problem overfilling by 1/2 qt. (which 6qts fills to on my MS3)

1/2 qt will not harm anything. now if you put 9qts in the crankcase you might fill it up so far that the oil flows over the windage tray and contacts the crack, causing massive drag on the crankshaft.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Just changed the oil in my speed3 and it took a bit over 5qt's. Checked the dip stick and its dead even with the max line.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
i did mine this morning with full syn.
i took all 6 quarts !! maybe its my method.... i make sure the engine runs for at least 5 min to heat the oil up. this will thin it out and let it flow out better.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
[quote author=ElyasWolff link=topic=69174.msg1210867#msg1210867 date=1171589529]
I don’t know about FWD. But, when I drove RWD cars it was wise to over fill the sump by 1/2 qt. The logic was; under hard cornering the oil might cling too hard to the side of the sump, moving away from the oil pickup and causing oil starvation.

So I have no problem overfilling by 1/2 qt. (which 6qts fills to on my MS3)

1/2 qt will not harm anything. now if you put 9qts in the crankcase you might fill it up so far that the oil flows over the windage tray and contacts the crack, causing massive drag on the crankshaft.

[/quote]Actually overfilling is much worse than underfilling. Even at a 1/2 qt. It can cause some nasty problems which make you engine go boom. Especially in japanese cars. Nissan had this problem alot with have people over fill the cases and then damaging things. What happens is that if the oil level is too high the crankshaft ends up whipping into the oil creating air pockets that attempt to get sumped and screws up things from there etc etc.. Maybe on older cars it was ok but I definitly wouldn't do it now, if its 4.8 you put 4.5 not 5

·
Registered
466 Posts
im a stickler for not overfilling oil. from what ive always understood it can blow the seal out if done, my factory fill shows a *unt hair above max on the dipstick and im cold sweating it.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
my car did take 6, but not because i did what the manual said......because thats just what it took !!
6 quarts put me dead on the hole at the max line.

·
Registered
9,483 Posts
Mine took a full 6

Release front drain where filter is first
THen tighten
THen release the rear drain (17/18mm one)
Tighten
THen release the filter and change the filter
then undo the 17/18mm again for the last little bit

Jacking car in front only helps flow backwards
And have it kind of warm also so it can run down faster
and wait, give it time to drain out

·
Registered
405 Posts
I changed my oil twice so far. Once on a lift, and once on Jacks from the front. Oil was 5qts both times? Engine was driven right before so it wat hot. It seems the filter area holds very little oil. Not saying you did not get diffrent amout in but what happened to me so far.

·
Registered
188 Posts
just did my change. took almost a full 6 qts. I was a little worried for a while, and didn't fill it all the way to the max line... it's slightly below max. I'm going with it. I'll check it at the next fill.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I just changed mine for the first time about an hour ago.

Drove the car to the auto store (2mi) and picked up filter/oil/etc.
Came home and pulled in garage.
Pulled off the plastic tray and popped the hood.
Engine was warm and so was oil.
Posistioned drain pan, opened 17mm drain plug.
Opened oil filler cap on top of engine to help drain.
After drain, replaced oil drain plug.
Removed drain from filter cap.
Removed filter cap.
Replaced filter, put back in filter drain plug, replaced filter/cap onto car.
Filled with 5qts, checked level and was at half mark.
Added 1/2 qt and got to full mark.
Started car and run for 45secs or so.
Rechecked level after a minute and added rest of the 1/2 qt.

So it took 6qts to get to the full line doing it that way.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts