Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I drove 40 miles to the nearest Mazda dealer to get the oil changed yesterday cuz they are supposed to do a better job than the monkeys at Jiffy Lube or whatever, right? Well anyway, I drove down there, dropped off the car at the service department, went inside, and read the newspaper for an hour till the car is ready. Payed up, get the keys, got in the car, and drove off.

As I'm leaving the dealership, I noticed that the car was making a very slight burbling sound, kinda like if the last muffler was removed. I drove across town, parked at Home Depot, and got out of the car while it's still running to check the mufflers. They didn't appear to have any damage, so I popped the hood open and this is what I saw...

Yup, the technician forgot to put the oil cap back on! :shock: :x

Then I said a few cuss words, got back in the car, and shut 'er down. Called up the dealer, yelled at the service dude, who said I should just drive the car back to the dealer. :shock: I told him I wanted it towed, and he said to call roadside. I called roadside and the tow truck came in 20 minutes.

Got back to the dealer, where the general manager and the service manager walked out to greet me at the tow truck. They start apologizing and stuff and we walked inside. I started fuming a little at them, and they told me I was making it a bigger deal than it actually was. I was about to go on saying that if I didn't catch the slight burbling sound and kept driving till the engine ran out of oil and seized, that they could be paying for a new engine, but I decided to keep my mouth shut. Got a work order, the rental, and went home.

As for the rental, I got this

2008 Chevy Cobalt with crank windows, manual locks, and about as clean as a pile of dirty dishes.

Went back down today, and the engine is as good as new. It only lost about 1/4 quart of oil, and absolutely all the oil was washed out of the engine compartment. No oily smells, residue, and even all the nooks and crannies on the electrical plugs are oil-free. Looks like it never even happened. Dealer did as they said they would and then some. They did, however, damaged the under-hood insulator while trying to clean it, so I'm going back down there next Wednesday to get a new one installed (free of charge of course).

Overall, I'm very satisfied with their service and I'll definitely be going back there. I don't blame the service tech dude just cuz shit happens and everyone makes mistakes or whatever, but ya gotta try to keep 'em to a bare minimum cuz sometimes mistakes could cost a lot more than a car rental and a 1/4 quart of oil.

Edit: Speeling errors. :lol:

·
Registered
879 Posts
This happened to my wife on an old Neon. I usually did all the oil changes myself, but got a dealer coupon for a free oil change so I took advantage of it.

a few days later my wife went to Daytona Bch for the weekend (I live on opposite FL coast) and she called to say she heard a loud bang while driving. I said don't worry about it and I'd check it when she comes back. I didn't and she never heard it again. So the next day I went to the carwash to wash the car when I popped the hood I noticed the cap was missing and there was almost no oil in the car. So I drove it back home, and went in my other car to the dealer to bitch.

luckily it was a lease but there was no damage.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Dam! Way to keep your head on and not punch someone. I might have.

I had a similar situation happen to me last year. At the dealer for routine oil change (this was before I started doing my own oil change). Took them 30 minutes, I paid and walked out to start the car. First thing I notice after I start it is the engine sounds much louder than normal. I look down and the oil light is still on. Its been running about 10 seconds now. So I shut it off right away and check the dipstick. NO OIL on the the dipstick. By this time the service manager has seen my hood open and is walking out to the car. I can feel my blood pressure rising very quick. First thing he said was he knew exactly what happened, they were having problems with their oil-filling machine. It was not reading the proper amount or some crap. I said ok but don't your guys check the dipstick to be sure? Especially with a malfunctioning fill machine? He said well the guy should have...I just shook my head in disbelief. Anyways so we talk and he goes and brings out 2 quarts. It took the whole 2 quarts to get over the lower fill line on the dipstick. He gave me a free oil change card and I still have it in my desk at home. Needless to say, that day was the day I decided to start doing my own oil changes. I know people are only human and everyone is a bonehead at some point, but not checking the dipstick after an oil change? That just seems lazy and foolish to me. On the way home I was glad that my wife hadn't been the one to get the oil change. She might have drivin it home with the oil light on.

Glad everything turned out ok in your situation.

·
Registered
242 Posts
No Shit! They told you to "drive back". Fuckin' a! Time to ditch that sad looking valve cover cause there apparently is no reason to keep oil in there.

·
Registered
151 Posts
On my old Jeep, I did a routine oil change. Drained out 6 quarts of old, replaced the filter, and added 6 quarts of new Mobil1. Only one problem. I forgot to put the drain plug back in it. I only caught it because there was a huge stream of oil running down the driveway. Man, I felt like a moron. Plus it was a waste of some expensive ass oil.
I had to take the wifes car to Advance Auto parts and buy 6 quarts of their house brand. I was broke and couldn't afford another 6 of Mobil1.

·
Registered
644 Posts
shit dude. this is why i do all my oil changes myself. cant trust people nowadays. they are all after money. you dont even know if they put the right oil in...

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
LOL i had an Rtard moment too man. i ordered a SU 2.0L filter conversion earlier this year. after draining oil and putting on conversion kit i filled it back up and right before i turned it on i saw that it looked a lil funny to me. i said whatever and turned it on. HOLY SHIT. oil started flying out EVERYWHERE. i quick shut it off and after checking to make sure i hadn't shat myself i looked down to see that my suspicions were correct. they had mistakenly shipped me the one with an oil cooler which i do not have. than again it could have been my fault and not selected it during checkout im not sure. i called SU up and they said a replacement would be sent asap (GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE). well while that was happening i was taking off the 1st one.i dont know exactly HOW i managed it but i broke off a bolt holding the blasted thing on IN my engine block. i figured oh fuck me running with a razor blade i just fucked my engine. i got it towed 40 miles to a good shop in the area. 5 min on a lift and they had grinded it flat, cut a slit in it and taken a simple screwdriver to it lol. i could have done that shit :p they didnt charge me for that cuz it was so easy but they did put the new part and filled her back up for me :)

lesson learned. PAY ATTENTION and dont drink while you do oil changes :D

that shop helped me with tons of other things i needed done to my car - Carter Racing in Savannah GA :) good good ppl. the owner Mickey is the mufuggin MAN

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[quote author=stranger706 link=topic=138866.msg2994453#msg2994453 date=1237066315]
Dam! Way to keep your head on and not punch someone. I might have.

I had a similar situation happen to me last year. At the dealer for routine oil change (this was before I started doing my own oil change). Took them 30 minutes, I paid and walked out to start the car. First thing I notice after I start it is the engine sounds much louder than normal. I look down and the oil light is still on. Its been running about 10 seconds now. So I shut it off right away and check the dipstick. NO OIL on the the dipstick. By this time the service manager has seen my hood open and is walking out to the car. I can feel my blood pressure rising very quick. First thing he said was he knew exactly what happened, they were having problems with their oil-filling machine. It was not reading the proper amount or some crap. I said ok but don't your guys check the dipstick to be sure? Especially with a malfunctioning fill machine? He said well the guy should have...I just shook my head in disbelief. Anyways so we talk and he goes and brings out 2 quarts. It took the whole 2 quarts to get over the lower fill line on the dipstick. He gave me a free oil change card and I still have it in my desk at home. Needless to say, that day was the day I decided to start doing my own oil changes. I know people are only human and everyone is a bonehead at some point, but not checking the dipstick after an oil change? That just seems lazy and foolish to me. On the way home I was glad that my wife hadn't been the one to get the oil change. She might have drivin it home with the oil light on.

Glad everything turned out ok in your situation.
[/quote]

That's gotta suck big time. :( Now along with opening the hood and verifying the oil level and that the cap is back on and the filter is new and on completely (except the MZ3...impossible to tell just by looking at the outside), I also keep a mirror in the glovebox and do a full-circle inspection for any damage on the body or whatever.

I'd like to do my own oil changes, but I'm trapped by the warranty. Don't want any crap about "you did an improper oil change which obviously caused the power window motors to stop working" or anything like that. Visual mods only at the moment. :(

G

·
Ouch.

Maybe I shouldn't have read these horror stories since I'm going in for an oil change tomorrow (amongst other things)

·
Registered
332 Posts
my cousin took his truck into a jiffylube type place for and oil change and they forgot to put the oil pan plug back in. needless to say 5 miles down the road his engine siezed! the oil change place had to buy him a new engine.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
[quote author=IBrakeForNobody link=topic=138866.msg2998716#msg2998716 date=1237257286]I'd like to do my own oil changes, but I'm trapped by the warranty. Don't want any crap about "you did an improper oil change which obviously caused the power window motors to stop working" or anything like that. Visual mods only at the moment. :(
[/quote]

Go ahead and do your own oil changes, they can't use that against you. Only reason they could deny warranty coverage is if you did something to break it. If the dealer tries to pull that "only we can do oil changes to keep your warranty intact" crap, then you need to find another dealer.

·
Registered
879 Posts
keep your receipts of the supplies you bought.

I never did though, but I'd always enter the info in the log book with mileage, date, and what I did.

And to adelossa, if you want to be careful, after an oil change, pop the hood and check the oil when they return it to you. Kneel down and look at the plug to make sure its on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Obvoiusly it doesn't matter where you go, there are monkeys at the dealer, Jiffy Lube, and Pepboys. At the end of the day they are called mistakes. They are going to happen its all a number game. No matter where you go be paticular, make small talk with the one in charge and watch ur crap get done. At the end of the day you're paying them money. If they care about you as a customer they will make it right, like it sounds like they did. We just have to keepm honest.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
[quote author=vtrin link=topic=138866.msg2999521#msg2999521 date=1237300799]

I never did though, but I'd always enter the info in the log book with mileage, date, and what I did.

And to adelossa, if you want to be careful, after an oil change, pop the hood and check the oil when they return it to you. Kneel down and look at the plug to make sure its on.
[/quote]

What kind of logbook do you have? I'm using an Excel spreadsheet right now. :lol:

G

·

[/quote]
Yeah, that's what I did after I left the dealership. I trust them though, so I wasn't really worried.

·
Registered
879 Posts
[quote author=IBrakeForNobody link=topic=138866.msg3003009#msg3003009 date=1237423090]

[/quote]

What kind of logbook do you have? I'm using an Excel spreadsheet right now. :lol:
[/quote]just the dealer supplied warranty log.. the Mazda has spots for you to enter the service interval and dealer name, mileage and date. The Mazda one is kinda skimpy as my Nissan's had a full page per each scheduled service interval. My quest has a checklist on each page of things to do based on service interval (A or B)

·
Registered
432 Posts
I enter the info into the service data section that came with the owners manual, along with the reciepts for my oil and filters :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts