Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm preeeeety sure this is the right place. Here goes.

I was driving along, minding my own business, when BAM! Out of no place, my right front tire exploded. Like, I didnt hit anything, nothing was in the road... just... poof. I JUST (3 weeks, 2 days) ago bought brand new Dunlop winter sport 3d's... Brand freaking new. There's a crack about an inch on the tread and about ... eh, 2 or so inches up the side wall. Here's some pics. Sorry if they come out huge.

TPMS light: Second warning!

Crack!

Its huge. In a bad way.

Saaaaad spare...

I'm going back to the place I bought them tomorrow and I'm gonna see what they say. Being from the former Rubber Capital of the World, I work with some guys who actually used to make tires, and they both said it looks like a manufacturing flaw when they made that tire. So, well see. I guess it didnt technically explode, but... it was L o u d. I thought someone was shooting someplace! ... eek.

Other than that, the traction with them is AMAZING and I love them. :)

Sigh. Also, sorry for the sucky iPhone pics. :(

·
Banned
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, she's okay. I was only about 7 blocks from my house and couldnt even tell anything happened till the TPMS light came on and I backed into the garage and got out. And heard the loudest wooshing-of-air sound, EVER. Heh. So I pulled out onto the street ('cause our driveway is a hill) and called AAA to change it. And my Dad was all 'oh, you just hit something' ....but I didnt. It was random and nothing is in the tire! Its like a freak accident!

I'm glad I didnt like, loose control or something. I would have flipped! And maybe sued! Geesh.

I just hope when I go to the tire place tomorrow that they don't give me a hard time. They've been in business as long as I can remember, so they should be pretty good on the customer service stand point. Hopefully. Besides, my husband needs tires and we were gonna go there... Maybe I'll mention that and thell be nice.

·
Banned
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I just got back from the tire place where I got them... and they pretty much told me tough. They said I would have had to be going 65 to 70 mph for the tire to do that, and I would have had to hit something. Well, I didnt. I even offered to take them to where it happened. They didnt believe me. They pretty much called me a liar to my face. My husband was in the car too and witnessed the whole thing. He wants to go down there, but I wont let him. Pretty upset. Whew.

Anyways, if you live in NE Ohio and need tires, DO NOT GO TO VAN'S TIRE! They will screw you over and call you a liar and not stand behind the products they sell.

Wish me luck, I'm on my way to another tire place to see if I can get one tire... I plan to call Dunlop (well, its really Goodyear!) later on to see what they say. Sigh.

·
Registered
232 Posts
[quote author=kateleestar link=topic=135810.msg2925349#msg2925349 date=1234233234]
Yeah, she's okay. I was only about 7 blocks from my house and couldnt even tell anything happened till the TPMS light came on and I backed into the garage and got out. And heard the loudest wooshing-of-air sound, EVER. Heh. So I pulled out onto the street ('cause our driveway is a hill) and called AAA to change it. And my Dad was all 'oh, you just hit something' ....but I didnt. It was random and nothing is in the tire! Its like a freak accident!

I'm glad I didnt like, loose control or something. I would have flipped! And maybe sued! Geesh.

I just hope when I go to the tire place tomorrow that they don't give me a hard time. They've been in business as long as I can remember, so they should be pretty good on the customer service stand point. Hopefully. Besides, my husband needs tires and we were gonna go there... Maybe I'll mention that and thell be nice.

[/quote]

Called AAA to change it at your own house? Dang, I guess you really want to get your money's worth out of that membership :p

·
Banned
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[quote author=Cloudguy link=topic=135810.msg2926842#msg2926842 date=1234290130]

Called AAA to change it at your own house? Dang, I guess you really want to get your money's worth out of that membership :p
[/quote]

Well, for one my Dad owns his own business, and I'm on the business's account, so its free to me. Second, I'm not making my husband roll all over the wet snow-slush covered ground and take 40 mins to change a tire at 11 at night. AAA has that gun thing, hahaahhhaa, and they did it wham bam, over. So... yeah. I called AAA.

I've had it 11 years and only used it 3 times for myself!

·
Banned
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update!

So, I tried posting this the other day, but the laptop went on the fritz.

Anyways, that white stuff is all over all the tires at my house, its salty dust, left over from the big snow and the attempt of the city to clean the streets.

I went to Goodyear Gemini in Stow (the one on 59, if you're from around here) and they pretty much said that the tires sidewall failed, they had 6 or 7 people there look at it. They apologized and they were awesome enough and called corporate (which is Goodyear HQ, about 4 mins from my house) and they gave me 'one time amnesty' and gave me a new tire and offered to cover the other 3 under a road hazard program, which I happily bought. Van's Tire doesn't even offer road hazard. They didn't even ask me when I was there. They need to learn a lesson in Customer Serivce from Goodyear on this one.

Lessons: Do not go to Van's Tire in Akron (OR any of the other 3 or 4 locations they have!) The website Van's Tire has, that says that customer satisfaction is #1 is completely untrue. They will call you a liar, and suck majorly. Goodyear in Stow will be getting my business, since my hubby needs tires and so does my dad. From here on out, I'll be going there. Yey other tire place!

·
Registered
296 Posts
How old is that tire that you had a problem on? They might be selling you old tire. The softness if tire decrease when they age.

·
Banned
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It was brand new. I bought it on 1/23 and it passed away on 2/7.

You can tell it was brand new, it wasnt worn at all and still had those neat little nubbies on it. Even still, after it failed, it still had the little nubs on it.

·
Registered
296 Posts
[quote author=kateleestar link=topic=135810.msg2939968#msg2939968 date=1234793434]
It was brand new. I bought it on 1/23 and it passed away on 2/7.

You can tell it was brand new, it wasnt worn at all and still had those neat little nubbies on it. Even still, after it failed, it still had the little nubs on it.
[/quote]

Sorry, you misunderstood my question. I'm talking about manufactur date of your tire not when you purchase it.

I think CNN had a report on it awhile ago. Apparently a lot of big shops like WalMart and Sears are selling out of date tire (i.e. tires that are manufactured 6 years ago). These tires are so old and they're not even safe to use. I couldn't find the exact article on CNN.com but here's a similar one.
http://consumerist.com/5049547/your-new-tires-could-be-six+year-old-death-traps

·
Banned
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I don't have anything like a 'born on date' to help me out with. I know that the tire place ordered them from tirerack.com, though. They, at least around here, seem like a pretty reputable place. That's where my new new tire came from. (The replacement tire.)

·
Registered
296 Posts
[quote author=kateleestar link=topic=135810.msg2940164#msg2940164 date=1234801240]
Well, I don't have anything like a 'born on date' to help me out with. I know that the tire place ordered them from tirerack.com, though. They, at least around here, seem like a pretty reputable place. That's where my new new tire came from. (The replacement tire.)
[/quote]

Yea, I purchased my tires from TireRack also, they're great.

I am just sharing what I know with you because I heard about this on news awhile back. I know everything is all set now but just be aware next time.

Here's an example on how you can check the date of the tire.
http://blogs.bikecrawler.com/2008/05/24/new-tires-check-the-manufactured-date/

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
tires tend to dry off as they age...which cause them to become hard and vulnerable to cracking..
if u let rubber sit for a few years...same thing happens

·
Banned
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It said they were made 43 08... so that's the 43rd week of 2008. So, what is that, like early fall?

They werent old. That one just sucked. :)

·
Banned
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, after I threw a fit at the first place and went someplace else! Haha. At least I know now what kind of place I went to, and not to ever ever ever go there (or send anyone there) ever again!

: )

They are so lucky the blow out didnt damage my snowflake.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
[quote author=kateleestar link=topic=135810.msg2924671#msg2924671 date=1234222772]

Crack!

[/quote]

A couple of notes from a former tire guy (who has seen and heard his share of 'I didn't hit anything stories'). I had 7 years in the business as a store manager and even got to go to the Michelin training facility in South Carolina for a weeks worth of really technical training.

First, you hit something. That big ass bruise on the tire at the leading edge of the crack proves it. Tires don't just pop when you are backing in and out of a garage. As a general rule, defective tires that lead to blowouts start as tread seperations (where the belts on the inside of the tire start to delaminate from the rubber) then fail in a pretty dramatic fashion (think body damage that NASCAR cars get when they lose a tire.)

Sounds like this happened at night? (You mention 11PM tire changes.) Kind of hard to see stuff on the road at night. Heck, its hard to see stuff on the road during the day at speed.

Second, the first tire store was stupid. About the only time I did not take care of a customer (in the same way the second store did, replace the tire and sell the road hazard. 'One time Amnesty' means customer service adjustment, not defect adjustment.) was when I had a guy with a truck and off road tires come in swearing he didn't hit anything. We pulled the tire off the rim and found a small crowbar in the tire. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts