Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have these nice blue LEDs in the footwells that i had tapped into the circuit for the headlights (I literally just tapped the red wire going directly into the left headlight. Well I decided that I wanted the LEDs to stay on when I have the headlights off but the orange marker lights on. (So they would be on with both just the markers and with the headlights.)

So i took it off the headlight circuit and tapped it into the red wire for the markers...went to turn them on and suddenly one of them flashed green and they both went out. Ah! They don't look like the bulbs burned, they are still clear and look OK.

I'm no expert... what do you think happened? They were working fine before, the only thing i changed was what wire they were tapped into.

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
I read your post twice and I'm confused.

A. Do you want them on with only the parking lights?
B. Do you want them on with only the head lights?
C. Do you want them on with both the parking and head lights?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[quote author=danielj link=topic=135158.msg2908909#msg2908909 date=1233679267]
I read your post twice and I'm confused.

A. Do you want them on with only the parking lights?
B. Do you want them on with only the head lights?
C. Do you want them on with both the parking and head lights?
[/quote]

No
No
Yes I want them on with both the parking and the head lights. Sorry yeah I should have proofread that $%&# lol

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
Then tap into an interior power source such as the ashtray lighter. This way there only on with the parking and headlights.

This is how most of us wire them up.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah my interior LEDs lights turned green. Yeah I didn't even think about wiring it up internally. What's the best way to get to that ash tray wire? Taking out the radio?

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
Here you go. This will walk you through on how to access the ashtray light.

[quote author=danielj link=topic=133816.msg2885170#msg2885170 date=1232723050]
Here is a very helpful walk-thru from an audio thread.

[quote author=piki-iki link=topic=101973.msg2058658#msg2058658 date=1202600987]

6 - Remove the cup holder compartment, by simply pulling on it, as indicated on the following photo:

7 - Release the gear shift knob unit, by simply lifting it, as shown:

8 - This will reveal 2 screws that hold the ashtray compartment. Unscrew them as indicated, then pull the ashtray compartment towards you (it helps to stick your thumb in the cigarette lighter hole):

[/quote]

[/quote]

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sweet, i'll try this out this weekend, I think it's actually supposed to be above 40F here! Balmy balmy new england lol thanks again

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
[quote author=icspots link=topic=135158.msg2912942#msg2912942 date=1233795066]
[quote author=Six link=topic=135158.msg2912017#msg2912017 date=1233773698]
Once again, daniel saves the day lol
[/quote]

I think Daniel's smiley needs to be a superman smiley. :lol:
[/quote]

aw, you guys are kind.

·
Registered
453 Posts
okay I know this is off topic, but it has to do with wiring a gauge to the same source for power, the cig lighter. I attempted to wire my volt gauge to the cig ligther (the orange circle connection). I tapped the red orange for power and the black and orange for ground, and my gauge didn't light up when I turned the headlight switch on. I reversed the connection and nothing again. Then I noticed that the orange circle on the cig lighter doesn't light up anymore. DId I blow a fuse??? Damn I thought wiring a gauge for 12v power and ground would be easy but it's harder than it seems. I thought at first that maybe I didn't pierce the cable hard enough with the wire tapper because I tried tapping the radio harness for 12v source and ground and nothing again. Does anyone know where I can see if the "cig lighter circle light" fuse is at? I want to see if I burned a fuse, or just fucked up the circular light around the cig lighter. Sort of off-topic but I'd appreciate some insight.

Thanks

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
The ashtray circle light is not on it's own fuse, if you blew it, other lights will be off as well. Did you use tap ins or splice the wires?

·
Registered
453 Posts
I used tap ins. But that's the only light that went out. No other lights went out. My cig lighter still works but the orange ring around it won't light up anymore. I have no idea how I burned it. I really want to wire my gauges they've been in my car for like 6 months and I've yet to wire them :/

1 - 14 of 14 Posts