Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do i need a center-center, offset-offset, or center-offset muffler for a Stock Exhaust

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
well if your just replacing the muffler only as opposed to getting an aftermarket exhaust or getting the shop to make you one, you will most likely need center-center.

however, this depends how big said muffler is.. you might be able to get away with offset offset (if they are offset in the same direction that is). think about your exhaust:

---(pipe)---===(muffler)===---(pipe)---

you cant add a center-offset in there or it will be like

------===___--------

which wont line up.. :lol: sorry for the crappy drawings, but that should give you an idea that center-center is go unless you look and see what else you can fit under there size wise. (stock pipe size is 1 7/8" btw)

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
if your going through all that, you could just get them to make you a whole new exhaust. what your doing will help but the pipe diameter is still 1 7/8" regardless how free flowing you make it.

you could ask them to get some 2.5" pipe and just make a ghetto-back (crush bend it the best they can, since majority of shops dont have mandrel benders.. although if they do holy hell, by all means get mandrel bent 2.5!) and then you can put whatever you want in there.

if thats a lot more work than you want you can buy an aftermarket one or go another fairly popular way and buy a speed3 owners stock exhaust, which is about the same size as an aftermarket exhaust, and do whatever you want with it.

its all preference, but imo if your looking for something more free flowing, just buy/trade/make a larger diameter pipe instead of hacking up a tiny restrictive stock pipe.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya its just that im really on a budget and i think with a race pipe and new muffler on the stock pipe ill be getting at least 5-6hp. its not worth all that extra money to me to ad a half an inch of piping to get maybe 3 more hp

1 - 5 of 5 Posts