Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you have any idea if we can install OEM xenons in our non-xenon equipped mz3's?

We already have projection housings for the lights....is it possible that we can find a set of OEM HID's and install it in our cars?

This is one of the only gripes I have about my Canadian mz3....the lack of HID's as an option.

EDIT: Edited topic name for easier navigation :)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Levitron, the shop is closed during the weekend but I'll call them and let you know later. IMO, there shouldn't be any technical difficulty.

BTW, nice car!!!

·
Banned
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bruno!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Levitron,

I just get off the phone from the shop, and they told me you have to change the optical block that goes together with the HID bulb. Count something in order of $2000 to get the OEM HID.

Bruno

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
bluong1 said:
Levitron,

I just get off the phone from the shop, and they told me you have to change the optical block that goes together with the HID bulb. Count something in order of $2000 to get the OEM HID.

Bruno
Is that to do it legally, or just to DO it though.

In other words, don't replace the assembly just put HID ballast/bulbs in. They wouldn't be legal in the states and prolly not in much of Canada, but everybody does it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
They told me the car should be reinspeted/recertified to be legal.

In other words, don't replace the assembly just put HID ballast/bulbs in. They wouldn't be legal in the states and prolly not in much of Canada, but everybody does it.
Could be, but then Levitron shouldn't be bother with expensive OEM equipments.

BTW the OEM Xenon bulb is DS2/35W,

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
bluong1 said:
They told me the car should be reinspeted to be legal.

Could be, but then Levitron shouldn't be bother with expensive OEM equipments.
Well, we're talking like $360 compared to $2000

It would not be OEM HID's, of course.

If you have a good relationship with a service manager though, I bet you could get htem to order you a pair of OEM light assemblies for under a grand. Would be interesting to say the least.

·
Banned
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Bruno.

That's one expensive upgrade.

I guess I'm going aftermarket then.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hi guys, I'm a dummy on this headlight thing. And a friend of mine told me that he can sell me his universal xenon headlights for $400cdn. My questions..... will those "universal xenon headlights" work on a mazda3? is 400$ a good deal? any suggestion or advice before i get those headlights?

·
Registered
327 Posts
400 is a good deal, but make sure you have the bulbs to fit your Mazda3. Also make sure the kit he's selling you is a respected one, so it can last a long time like several several years. Phillips and Sylvania have the best kits.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
TMMA said:
Hi guys, I'm a dummy on this headlight thing. And a friend of mine told me that he can sell me his universal xenon headlights for $400cdn. My questions..... will those "universal xenon headlights" work on a mazda3? is 400$ a good deal? any suggestion or advice before i get those headlights?
They need to be the correct size.

I'd recommend looking at Polarion - Philips are pretty much the top of the pile and you can be sure they'll work.

·
Registered
154 Posts
VraiDiouf said:
400 is a good deal, but make sure you have the bulbs to fit your Mazda3. Also make sure the kit he's selling you is a respected one, so it can last a long time like several several years. Phillips and Sylvania have the best kits.
What kits are the respected ones? and what bulb size should I be looking at? :roll:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts