Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that the cold weather is finally here, when I need remote start the most, it has failed me.

In sub freezing weather the remote start cranks once without starting the car. It acts as if the car was started, and runs the blower, defrost, radio etc. It does not try to restart the car.

All this accomplishes is draining the battery. In fact, after the first episode, I was told I needed to replace the battery because it was faulty. Well, a new battery and after the first cold night using remote start, I found the car with another dead battery. The last two mornings I went outside and used the remote start to see what would happen.

Crank once, turns on all accessories for ten minutes and nothing else.

I have an appointment to have it looked at, but any help in advance is appreciated. I am not impressed (nor entirely trust) the dervice people.

My assumption would be the remote start needs to crank the engine a bit longer and for some reason it's sensing the car started when it didn't. Is the factory remote start supposed to sense if the car started and retry if it didn't?

This will be my fourth car with remote start and first with a factory system not part of an aftermarket alarm. The others all had adjustable crank duration, auto sense starting and retry (selectable up to three times) on failure.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
14,388 Posts
My guess is the factory system doesn't hook up to the RMP to tell if the car is started. Can you hear the car when you start it? in REALLY cold weather I need to hit it twice to get my car started, but mine is aftermarket. I never had the issue with my old cars though (xTerra and Civic).

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
The OEM remote start does not thrill me. I like the dei units that actually tell you when the car is started or when the alarm is going off. You can have em installed for around 400 and IMO they are much better quality. Circuit city is installing mine in early February and im excited.

·
Registered
439 Posts
[quote author=mentalcase link=topic=67994.msg1171954#msg1171954 date=1169934773]
The OEM remote start does not thrill me. I like the dei units that actually tell you when the car is started or when the alarm is going off. You can have em installed for around 400 and IMO they are much better quality. Circuit city is installing mine in early February and im excited.
[/quote]

agreed. i installed a DEI remote starter on my previous car, and it did read the RPM signal coming from the ECU. the starts sounded just like if someone was manually starting the car-- never too long nor too short of a crank... as soon as the engine fired up the cranking stopped.

·
Registered
56 Posts
i have had the same problem were the car doesn't start but the battery is drained by the accessories. now my problem is trying to jump the car. it seems like the alarm is still activated and with whatever little juice is left in the battery, the gauges go crazy, and the horn is now constantly honking. the remotes wont work to stop it. my question is, is it possible to jump the car with the alarm is installed, and if so, do it reset the system. i just need to get my car to start. thanks

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
[quote author=southpawboston link=topic=67994.msg1194659#msg1194659 date=1170953370]
[quote author=mentalcase link=topic=67994.msg1171954#msg1171954 date=1169934773]
[/quote]

agreed. i installed a DEI remote starter on my previous car, and it did read the RPM signal coming from the ECU. the starts sounded just like if someone was manually starting the car-- never too long nor too short of a crank... as soon as the engine fired up the cranking stopped.
[/quote]

DEI makes some hardcore stuff. Also, some dei remote starters will actually tell you the car is started from the remote. Its nice to actually know when my car is started.

·
Registered
439 Posts
[quote author=mentalcase link=topic=67994.msg1196626#msg1196626 date=1171008597]
[quote author=southpawboston link=topic=67994.msg1194659#msg1194659 date=1170953370]
[/quote]

[/quote]

DEI makes some hardcore stuff. Also, some dei remote starters will actually tell you the car is started from the remote. Its nice to actually know when my car is started.
[/quote]

right. that is a nice option. i had installed a very basic "add-on" module designed to work with the OEM keyless fob, so i had no visual or audio feedback that the car started (other than seeing the lights flash). every once in a while i'd go outside to realize it hadn't started, but oh well... i had bought the add-on cheap, it was worth it :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts