Mazda3 Forums banner

OEM remote start being installed

3K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Plum Loco 
#1 ·
I wasn't able to find any consistent or common threads on the OEM remote start but, as of this afternoon I'll know first hand and post here in the next couple of days.

The delaer said it was a "plug in" install and the OEM remote start would be programmed with both keys. No need to "lose" a key and none of the dreaded BB or CC quicky installs that hack the factory harness.

#3 ·
Remote start is in.

Seems there is ALWAYS something that goes wrong no matter how simple the install.

The lower dash (under the steering column) fell off before I even backed the car out of the parking spot. It was quickly put back on by the installer and latert fell off in my driveway. I managed to just align all the fastners and clips and it seems to be on pretty good now.

We were not given our original keyless entry remotes back, which was a big deal for me because I had just bought a second one when the selling dealer "lossed" one before delivery (we bought the car used).

At first we were told they kept them because we had no use for them. When I told him I wanted them back, he told me they couldn't be near the car because it would trip the security feature in the remote start. Needless to say, We left with the original keyless entry remotes.

The remote start has good range and has the ability to turn on the rear defroster from the remote. Two other cars we have remote start on will not send power to the rear defrost until the key is in and at the "on" position.

This was on an 04 Hatch, so for those on the fence and not sure if it will work because of the Mazda website not listing it for 04, it does in fact work.

#4 ·
[quote author=moneypit link=topic=65503.msg1123254#msg1123254 date=1167323421]
We were not given our original keyless entry remotes back, which was a big deal for me because I had just bought a second one when the selling dealer "lossed" one before delivery (we bought the car used).

At first we were told they kept them because we had no use for them. When I told him I wanted them back, he told me they couldn't be near the car because it would trip the security feature in the remote start. Needless to say, We left with the original keyless entry remotes.
[/quote]

The install directions specifically state to put the original fobs in the glove box for the owner if they should be needed. You know, if your new remote stops working, you can still go back to the old ones (just be sure to be ready to manually disarm the alarm, if it's armed). What tools.

#6 ·
You don't need a third / spare key for the 06-07 remote starter? Every dealer I talked to insist that I need a spare key for my 07 Sport Touring. Are they just ripping me off?

Any ideas on where I could find a pdf copy of the Mazda 3 remote starter 0000-8F-L10A? I found the older model on this board - is it the same?

Thanks

JC

#8 ·
You don't need a third / spare key for the 06-07 remote starter?
No you don't. I installed the starter myself and it comes with the module and a ring that goes over the ignition. This way you get to keep your key and the immobilizer still functions, and is only disabled for a split moment during starting (unlike aftermarket starters that require one of your keys to be imbeded deep in your dash, and therefore disables the immobilizer permanently).

When I told him I wanted them back, he told me they couldn't be near the car because it would trip the security feature in the remote start.
This is partially true. While the alarm will not go off just by having the original key fobs near the car, it will go off if you try to use the original fobs to open the car when it was armed using the fob from the starter kit. However, they should have given you your original key fobe back.
Like I said before, I installed the alarm myself and the installation manual specifically says to put the original key fobs in the glove compartment of customers car.

#9 ·
Just curious... Will dealers install on vehicles with manual transmission? I know my dad says his shop does, but does will the dealer install the OEM version?

#10 ·
You'd have to bypass the clutch trip wouldn't you? And somehow prevent it from working if the car was in gear? I've heard of it being done on cars with MT's but I know that there are very few places that will do it. That's the only thing that sucks about a MT. I wish I could get a remote start. :(

#12 ·
[quote author=Mazda3Pride link=topic=65503.msg1172123#msg1172123 date=1169942686]
You'd have to bypass the clutch trip wouldn't you? And somehow prevent it from working if the car was in gear? I've heard of it being done on cars with MT's but I know that there are very few places that will do it. That's the only thing that sucks about a MT. I wish I could get a remote start. :(
[/quote]

Yeah, exactly. Some places won't do it for safety reasons. His shop specifically adds another step to this... they make you roll the window down to activate it, others I have heard have some weird door thing like while the car is running take the key out close the door and seconds later the car will turn off - activating the remote start. Honestly, I don't think a dealership would go through this. I prolly won't go with OEM - will most likely get alarm/remote start together as one.

#14 ·
link to remote start install manual

For those of you who installed the OEM version, did you mount the dipole antenna where the install manual says to (see below). I just got this thing yesterday and I want concelment but I don't want to compromise range. Hoping those with experience can share their trials as well... Thanks in advance!

Edit: Replaced link to manual...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.