Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just realized I haven't heard anything about Overdrive with the MZ3. I was curious if the 3 had OD. ALso, if it does not, wouldn't this affect gas mileage, and also put undo strain on the AT when maintaining highway speeds for extended periods of time? I thought all new AT's had OD, but I don't recall hearing anything about it.

TIA
Craig

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Driven 2 AT models, and I didnt notice any OD button or in the literature did they state the AT had OD.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
WAIT! Im wrong. It is a OD AT. Clearly stated in another book I have.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
coo, so it is OD even though it's a 4 speed? I don't remember seeing it in any literature or seeing a OD selector in the vehicle. I assumed it should have it, but didn't recall it anywhere. Where did you see it listed as an OD AT?

EDIT: I looked in the MZ3 book from the dealer and it says 4 sp AT w/OD. Sorry, I forgot I had the book.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Manufacturer literature.

Doesnt state its switchable. So Im assuming its on all the time for the best performance.

MPG is bad for the auto... 26/34 on the sedan, 24/29 on the hatch.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Wouldn't 4th gear be overdrive, with a gear ratio of .725? I always thought if the engine was turning less than the wheel that was overdrive.

·
Registered
225 Posts
The automatic transmission doesn't have an overdrive button; you simply shift it into M mode and leave it in 3rd speed.

·
Registered
49 Posts
every car in North America has had auto o/d for 3-4 years now. Ford is known for having an o/d button on some of their cars.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Yep that's the case. It was handy having the O/D button on the Pro5 but with the manumatic it's pretty much moot.

·
Registered
86 Posts
As was said earlier 4th gear is an overdrive gear. Nothing special is required to use it, simply place the car in drive. The computer will determine shift points based on rpm, throttle position, load, and engine speed. With moderate throttle positions the bias is to uphsift at relatively low rpms to conserve fuel, and the 4th gear is engaged at fairly low speeds.

Also as mentioned in messages above the Atcivematic features allows you to shift manually and the car will remain in the gear selected all the way to the rev limiter if that is desired. Conversely one could stay in 4th gear nearly all the time in manual mode. The car will however downshift to 1st gear automatically when coming to a stop in manaul mode.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Screw overdrive, buy a Standard transmission. lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts