Mazda3 Forums banner

Nuse's Twilight Blue '99 NB1

23K views 88 replies 13 participants last post by  XCNuse 
#1 ·
Yep.
I became a hair stylist this weekend.

Learning about the car, don't know much yet, not sure what all it has options wise, list of things will come soon!

This will be the daily driver. And oh my goodness what an enjoyable car it is to drive.

See less See more
#4 ·
It's going to remain mostly stock for the whole life, that's the plan at least, keep it as a good running DD.

I am trying to fix all that I can right now, already throwing a CEL so I can't do emissions testing yet, but trying to get everything in order.

Plan is just simple quiet exhaust setup and midpipe, simple springs and upgraded shocks (I'm pretty sure it's still on the OEM shocks, I can't imagine it is, but, the previous owner said he didn't replace them lol...), and 949UL wheels, along with a simple brake upgrade, but really that's about all I plan on doing.
Otherwise very simple things. Antenna delete, keep the stock radio, seriously just OEM+ on all accounts.
That and a hard top, and roll bar of some sorts, but yeah, nothing major planned for it at all, just that it runs.

Very fun car to drive.

#6 ·
Congrats!
A lot of people talk trash about the Miata but they are unbelievably fun to drive. Every time I've driven one I'm all grins. I'm sure I'll eventually snag one whenever buying a second toy car is more of an option.

#9 ·
Engine will be having a full overhaul on replacement parts next weekend. I won't be doing the work [fortunately], because I literally don't know anything about this car yet.

Took me a google search to figure out how to open the gas cap! (center console for those wondering; and since this car was broken into, only way to keep the center console shut is to lock it shut.... so now it just stays open lol)

All fluids replaced (coolant, oil, trans oil, diff oil)
cam and crank seals, timing cover, valve cover
accessory belts, timing belt
thermostat, spark plugs, spark leads

Replacing midpipe early next week with a used one since we can't fix the cracked weld. Not a big deal, but.. really need to get emissions.

Haven't been pulled over yet for no license plate. Dad was amazed I was driving around with no license plate, but.. apparently, for a private sale, that's what you do in Georgia.

So other than getting it back to hopefully very good running condition, the plans are as follows:

Eventually:
Hard top
Springs and shocks (lowering, maybe 1-1.5" MAX [these cars are such a pain to get in they're so low to begin with..])
Strut brace and more importantly, brake booster brace
949ULs wheels (dark bronze?)
Harddog or similar roll bar
Racing Beat midpipe
Unsure which final exhaust, Racing Beat, Autoexe, or Roadster Sport
Some Garage Vary styling bits

Soon(er) than later:
Fix / replace roof latches (locks don't .. touch the latch at all.)
Serious exterior detail (already have done interior, and partial engine)
Replace center console with a 2001+ if I can
FM Delrin door bushes
Red taillight tint (reverse cutout), or NB2 taillights (I hate the amber turn signals)
Radio antenna delete
Scangauge2 OBD2 scanner

#10 ·
Might be going with the RoadsterSport midpipe instead of RB.
A lot of the "soon" stuff is coming with funding.

On the plus side, I've sourced an NA hardtop with heated rear window, so that's good to go this early on! Will be painting / wrapping it in matte black (because it makes sense / matches vinyl roof to begin with)

Almost done fixing center console, unclogged drivers' water drain (valve was stuck shut, lots of water came out :/ ), and fixed a rattle in the rear (tension springs for trunk came loose from a tie down)
If weather is good enough this weekend I'll be giving it a serious detailing. Buff, polish, wax, vacuum, you name it.
Interior is already clean, but wanting to go over it one more time.

Currently overwatching funding for replacement parts next weekend; first time my "play" money has been at/under $1k in a few years. Joy!

Midpipe will be first part to go though; the rattle is annoying, the leak is silly, and the cat is dead.

But yeah.
Driving to work with the top down is fun!

Really the coolest thing to me about driving with no top is being able to see.... anywhere. It's like on a bike, it's a lot of fun.

#12 ·
Awaiting invoice for work on it this weekend.

Scangauge 2 ordered
Radio antenna delete plug ordered
red tail light tint ordered (to get rid of those ugly amber turns!)

Fixed center console, so no need to get NB2 center anymore
Frankenstein bolts arrived
workshop manual arrived
Hard top is awaiting me an hour southbound, a bit pink, but does have a headliner and not sure what else captures I'll need to keep it on for winter. Will vinyl matte black.

After the work this weekend / next paycheck a midpipe will be ordered. Now looking at either a custom one from Enthuza, or the Flyin' Miata. RoadsterSport has been kicked to the curb from stories everywhere about their cats failing within a year... no thankyou. And the FM one is cheaper...

I have also settled on V-MAXX Classic coilovers ($615 new!!! holy cow!), as apparently springs are not a very common mod / isn't something at all anyone does, everyone just does coilovers, so no complaints there.

Rain has been settling here, and with the time change I haven't had time to detail the car except the interior, so no progress there sadly. Really want to see this thing cleaned up. And haven't fixed the latches yet either; again... because of all of the rain the roof has not been down.

In the meantime, still happy with the car, love driving it.

Have been eyeing the OEM side skirts, to go along with a GV front lip, so that will likely be happening (I like how the OEM skirts give the car some good handles down low)

Awaiting to find a HardDog on sale. Not too worried in the meantime about having another open diff to be honest, as it will push out my gear ratio too which I don't feel the need to do at the moment.

Haven't settled on the wheel color yet, definitely feeling the tungsten though, and haven't decided entirely on size yet either, but want to stick with 15s.

#16 ·
haha well seats are a must, the drivers' side on every Miata you ever come across will have tears, and is not comfortable at all and very not supportive.

If you ever get a chance to sit in Elise seats, do it. They look hideously uncomfortable but they are insanely opposite. They have virtually nothing to them, but are shaped perfectly to hold your weight the way a seat should.

It's a DD, but things are still happening. All said and done though this "project" shouldn't end up costing more than $7k including the car itself and everything getting replaced in the next few years.

And the thing is, parts, unless they are heavily damaged, have no value to lose anymore on these cars as it's already at rock bottom.

So if I ever try to sell say the seats again, I'll get what I'm paying, or close enough to where the loss won't hurt like everything I've done to the 3.

Besides, this is a DD and travel vehicle, I want it to be mine and run extremely well too.

Talked to a local last Sunday about what I should do, and mentioned keeping it stock; he said why, at 125k miles, it's too late to "save it."
Do what you want. Make it yours, and enjoy it.

If I'm going to drive it every day.. it cannot be uncomfortable forever lol

#20 ·
first visual mod!

Using Genuine Honda Parts
lol!

Red tint comes in the mail today (was supposed to be here on Tuesday...), so I will be making circles to go over the amber so it will have red tails before the weekend.
Sadly though the throwout bearing is making noise, so sadly I have to start saving up to get my clutch replaced... already. UGH!

Hopefully the weather is good this weekend and I can FINALLY wash the dang car and detail it.
Been raining and cloudy... literally since I bought the car. Sun finally came out yesterday for the whole day. But is now gone...

Antenna delete.

#21 ·
Just wanted to state that R-Vinyl red tint is GARBAGE.

I put it on just over my ambers, and it looks just as orange as it did before.
At least it was cheap.....

Anyways, Oracal 8300 ordered, and will likely just go over the whole taillight and just cutout the reverse like on the 3.

8300 is what's on the 3, and while it's not easy to install, mine has been doing great on the 3. Out of all of these years, with a good wax it looks still brand new. It's got a far deeper red to it than most other cheap crap I've found on eBay.

I'm stuck between saving and ordering all parts from Flyin' Miata at once, or spreading it out over time. I don't think there are real savings to be had though to be honest.
But I suppose I should fix the exhaust before winter really shows up. They're expecting flurries this weekend already :(

#23 ·
I haven't been able to get a good picture to show what it looks like, but in person it's pretty obvious and very pathetic looking especially in daylight.

Other than that Oracal vinyl being ordered, midpipe, door bushings, and brake MC brace purchased.

I was drilling the cubby hole to place my Scangauge2 and the bit decided to grab it and take a large chunk out of the side, and I'm seeing if I can JB weld it shut again where it's damaged before re-drilling it for the aux input switch. Shouldn't be visible anyways all said and done, but still annoying that it happened. And also means I'm out of a radio for the remainder of the week (not a huge deal since I didn't actually turn it on until this past week anyways lol)

Once the JB weld dries I can put the radio back in and finally have an aux input [hopefully].

As well as Sharka's vent bezels in gloss black purchased as well.
I came across a picture of an interior with them last week and wasn't sure what I was looking at or why it looked so good. But with this and a new steering wheel at some point, interior should be looking OEM+ nice here before winter.

#24 ·
At some point I'll start to take actual pictures; I just see no point since the car is still visually stock minus plastidipped wheels.

And now that it's clean, the amount of body damage is definitely visible :(

Got my gloss rings on from Revlimiter, very nice little touch.

@cab0oze you were asking for a comparison? here you go.

Unfortunately I am extremely hesitant right now about the all red. I think it's because the 3's taillights are all black inside, so it gives a very deep look. Since this car still uses mostly the plastic outer casing to move light around, it's much brighter. And I am not totally feeling the all red taillights. I know, it's weird. But something about it just looks... off.

But if you're looking at this, and confused; yes, that's the RVinyl on the right... in place...
FYI The reverses are cutout, this was just in the middle of install.

So NB2 taillights eventually it will be.

Finally got the Auxmod playing nice and Scangauge2 in place as well.
Swapped location of the radio with the cubby hole, so the radio is now on bottom (I don't need to look at it that much, nor do I need to touch it, so why make it more visible?)

Brake MC brace, midpipe, and door bushings are suppose to arrive on Wednesday. Hopefully early enough to install the hard one; the midpipe. Fingers crossed that o2 wants to budge.

#25 ·
shitty pictures and new parts!
Should have taken the polarizer off, oops.

I'll get better pictures when the car is actually pleasing looking next year.

Actually feels like I gained a fair bit of torque back from closing the exhaust back up.
Delrin door bushings now in place... they actually help significantly.
Brake MC brace in place... huge difference!

For those wondering why the new midpipe:

#27 ·
haha I didn't actually get to see it like that until it came out; I just saw a crack in the weld around that pipe.
Almost looks like the weld didn't even penetrate the surface of the muffler to be honest.

But it did cause a hideous metal on metal slapping sound while leaving a light at times, and that was just as awful as hearing how much it created a blowing sound from the passenger seat.

Not smelling exhaust is a plus too.

Should be picking up the Elise seats next weekend. Not sure when I will put them in the car though.
Hard top is next; I was hoping to be buying that by this weekend but... screwed up my budget somewhere.

#28 ·
Picking up Lotus Elise S2 seats tomorrow. I don't think I will be putting them in yet though.

I'm considering having them completely reupholstered, as I don't quite like the appearance of the S2 seats, and I really don't like the idea of suede in a car that.. can leak.

Here is a picture of the Elise Probax seat, in beige, vs an S2 seat.
My seats have black leather where the suede is, and ugly blue suede where the black leather is.

But I'm want them to look like the beige seat. I'm thinking black leather across the top and sides, and a grey mesh fabric centerpiece and try to make them similar to the Speed3 gen1 leather/cloth seats.

IF it is too expensive or I end up not caring, likely I will just dye the blue black, and hope it doesn't dye my clothes black.
We'll see. Elise seats are hard to get your hands on, and I'm very sure these are worn out and need new foam anyways.
I'd like to try to reupholster them myself but, that's a skill I don't honestly have. I can sew.. but I've never tried to do anything like this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.