Mazda3 Forums banner

3561 - 3578 of 3578 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,350 Posts
Very nice!
In the off chance I move to GA (I am waiting for a few different job offers, and that is one of them) you'll have to take me for a ride = p I'm light, I promise!

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,562
Very nice!
In the off chance I move to GA (I am waiting for a few different job offers, and that is one of them) you'll have to take me for a ride = p I'm light, I promise!
If you do (which I find it hard to believe anyone from Canada would have any interest in coming all the way down here!), we can certainly set that up!

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,567
Road Atlanta next Friday.

Going to try a new lower mount for the rear wing for further adjustability. We'll see how this goes.

I'm still unsure if I want to throw the new suspension on. Being Road Atlanta, I figured I should give the BCs one last hurrah in case something does break (Road Atlanta is well known to break sh*t).

So this weekend will be my tech, oil and brake fluid changes. Going to cut the rear bumper some more I think, and possibly redo the side skirts.

I'm considering lowering the vehicle a little more as well.

I want to go to the new suspension setup, but... RA is not the place for me to do some TnT.

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,568
Car did well at RA, pretty hot in the mid 90s.

Differences to the car this time were different splitter supports up front, lowered car about half an inch, larger cut rear bumper, wing endplates, wider side skirt sills, and mirror deletes.

The car had plenty more to give with the Z214s, got my time down to 1:46.6, plenty of traffic to be had on such a large course. I know for a fact the car could get down to the lower 1:40s which is pretty impressive for that track, however, between first time being there, traffic, and being so hot, the power wasn't there down the back straight.
Ran the RS3s for the two morning runs, ran fine, due to major traffic though I never got to run a solid time, so both ended up in the 1:50 range. Too many slow Miatas and FRS's and the like. (Slow drivers)

Never did check to see what times the racing class was running, but I assume in the 1:30s, which there's no way I could've kept up lol. It was awesome to be passed by a few legitimate racecars on Friday though; two Global ND Miatas and I believe a Pirelli TSX.

New suspension will be going in for AMP and RA in fall, along with considerable lowering to assist more with the aero.

·
Super Moderator
6,350 Posts
Isn't it more helpful than detrimental to have the side mirrors? do you actually physically check your blindspots now?

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,571
Isn't it more helpful than detrimental to have the side mirrors? do you actually physically check your blindspots now?
ATV Mirrors on sides and Longacre in the center. With the center alone, I don't actually have many blindspots.

My drivers' side mirror is in a good place now, but passenger I need to make a tweak to angle it so it.. works better.

It's not hugely / at all important, as on track, we give each other space, and no one would be... next to me normally.

On the street, got plenty of time, and yes, can actually look around then, so not a big deal.

·
Super Moderator
6,350 Posts
Ah ok. I guess my track experience is limited to very small courses with no space at all so you have people all over you. I would really like to try a bigger road course some day...

·
Registered
174 Posts
Are you driving your 3 to the track? Street legal in GA without side mirrors?

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,574
yeah, it's still "street legal"

Police in the south don't care. As long as you're not being dumb and causing accidents, and your car isn't literally falling apart on the road, I haven't heard of anyone getting pulled over for anything short of speeding.
Heck, the police barely seem to care if anyone's taillights are out here as it is.

I've yet to encounter an officer that has been willing to pull the car over.

I mean it's not like I can't see guys lol... I can see still more with my mirror setup than the stock mirror setup ever gave.
Only thing I don't have anymore that I miss is a rear facing camera. Which I will go back to again at some point.
Besides, I've seen makeup mirrors duct taped to wing mirrors. I'm pretty sure I'm doing better than that lol.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm right there with you in terms of what's safe and what's legal not being the same. Replacing side view mirrors with cameras can give much better visibility and much better aerodynamics, but not legal in the US. I guess I forget about how lax a lot of the south is when it comes to driving laws. I may technically be in the south, but Virginia is incredibly strict when it comes to a lot of driving things. It's been a number of years since I did a road trip farther south than North Carolina.

True story: years ago was working a contract with a Florida city sheriff's office. One of the officers gives me his card and tells me to drive as fast as I want on the highways. Says if I get pulled over, give the officer his card instead of my license. Says he's buddies with all the guys on the highway patrol in that region. Corruption at its finest.

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,576
LOL yeah, Virginia is the east coast's version of California when it comes to vehicle laws hahahahahahaha... it's funny to think about it that way, but it's totally true!

Yeah, the one time I actually drove through Virginia many year ago I was seriously concerned I would get pulled over. But I never really saw any police on the main highways! And I seriously don't make a scene when on the highway, in this car I'm usually going at or below the speed limit, usually end up in the 60-65mph range.

good lord, yeah that's a bit bad lol, even still. If someone gave me something like that I'd be like.... keep it... I don't care to go fast lol, if I want to go fast I'll take it elsewhere, but not on the street. Driving fast on the highway is nothing short of annoying to me.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The state that scares me to drive through is South Carolina. I hear horror stories of people with out of state plates being pulled over for 1 over while people with state plates blow through at 10 over.

VA had a huge shortage of state troopers for a number of years. Generally only state troopers ticket on interstates. My local district is supposed to have 14 troopers and only had 7 about 10 years ago. I hear the numbers are back up though so you're more likely to see them now. At least in the northern part of the state there are tons of people here on assignment with out of state registered vehicles, so they don't seem to pick on out of state drivers like some states do.

We only used the guy's connections once - and he was in the car with us when we did (made an illegal turn at his advice and got followed by a cop with the lights off - he popped out when we stopped and the cop left). Of course, there were 3 of us on the trip where he gave us the card and we had "upgraded" to a large car. They gave us a stripped Chrysler 300 - nothing luxurious at all about it and it had the smallest V6 for an over two ton car. We were having trouble holding speed on flat highways with the car floored - not too much worry about a speeding ticket!

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,578
Guess it depends where in SC. I've been there quite a bit, usually just the Columbia area, but I seriously over the past whole of my life have never seen an officer in SC before lol

3561 - 3578 of 3578 Posts