Mazda3 Forums banner

3541 - 3560 of 3578 Posts

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,542
all local dynos got caught up in drug related scandals so I honestly couldn't say.
But, probably 150 something to the wheels.
nothing amazing.

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,543
Gasp! RS3s on track! They actually did extremely/surprisingly well. Only ran them for one run group though; was too afraid of them doing any damage since they're so tight.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
Awesome pics!

I really think you need a rear bumper though haha

I've never noticed but has your windshield tint strip always been so low?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Agreed - those are beautiful pictures! Does look weird without a bumper though.

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,546
Awesome pics!

I really think you need a rear bumper though haha

I've never noticed but has your windshield tint strip always been so low?
New strip, put it on last week, says JZillaTrackdays on it. It's lower in the center, higher on the sides, this one is relatively "flat" across the windshield, whereas a square cut would be high center, low sides. This one was rounded so it is more flat when viewing car from front (because it has type.)

bumper will be going on sometime this week.
Wing is already off lol

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,548
lol it's just 4 bolts, takes 10 minutes to take it off / put in on.
Need to start prepping for winter, as it will be here very soon.

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,549
Sadly didn't do any car meets really this year, just a handful at most. Been a busy year with work I suppose.
But finally had one this past Saturday!

·
Super Moderator
6,350 Posts
Yeah I hear ya. I only went to 2 meets all year :(
Kinda sad... I hope I'm not doing this "growing up" thing people have been telling me about

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,551
Winter is almost here, and I have no money, so that means.. time to start putting on the parts I already have!

And get the 3 in the air.

I've got rear swing arm bushings that have been sitting around for the past year (seriously), 2 sets of AWR suspension packages that need to go in, and at some point next year order some stiffer springs and readjust the ride height.

Next would be to continue with aero work and fix everything that is currently very wrong.

At some point in time I need to learn how to weld and start making parts, and fixing things; like my seat, so it doesn't lean so far forward. Makes wearing a Hans the worst experience ever.

Guess it's time to sell off all the other parts for it too!
And strip out any remaining weight that I can, ei, the lower sections of the dash.

Time to go full weekend race car.

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,553
Sadly still haven't touched or washed the car!
I need to, it's been freaking warm enough down here. About to get back into freezing temperatures this week, but it's been in the high 60s and low 70s lol!

Eventually I will settle in and get to work on suspension.

I've decided I will not be superchargering before the spring event.
Mainly due to time constraint and unsure if I will even be able to afford the kit at this time.

Mainly due to time constraints though. If it had arrived this week; maybe, but I'm months away from having enough money lol.. because miata.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Sadly still haven't touched or washed the car!
I need to, it's been freaking warm enough down here. About to get back into freezing temperatures this week, but it's been in the high 60s and low 70s lol!

Eventually I will settle in and get to work on suspension.

I've decided I will not be superchargering before the spring event.
Mainly due to time constraint and unsure if I will even be able to afford the kit at this time.

Mainly due to time constraints though. If it had arrived this week; maybe, but I'm months away from having enough money lol.. because miata.
Lazy!...Go wash your Hoopdee!...haha

The weather is Crazy....Here in SoCal its been usually cold and lots of rain!....Geez...

·
Registered
407 Posts
@XCNuse at some point I will push on your wing to see if the PCI risers exhibit any flex side-to-side. That's just a huge lever arm on a very svelte mount. New endplates look ace though, when are you gonna test all the different configs that you dreamed up?

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,558
@color0 the mounts do not. The sheet thin body however.. does.
Again remember it is steel, so while thin, have significant lateral strength.

Even with these oversize endplates, they only shimmy a bit, maybe 1/4" max at bottom at 60+mph

First trackday is mid March. In mean time, between miata work, I need to:
replace suspension
buy different springs
new splitter with side plates
begin stripping remainder of interior

I think I will leave the glass in for this one last event, and come Fall, remove the fronts and fill the rears with lexan.

And then start saving for s/c

·
Registered
407 Posts
That's kind of what I was afraid of. The Impreza risers I built shimmy just about 1/4" when you hit an awkward enough bump. Granted his wing weighs more than 2x ours, but still, I need a diagonal rod to stabilize his kit.

If you need springs lmk, and we should talk RE side plates/spats. Many rulesets allow a mild "hammerhead" setup so take advantage if you can!

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,560
Saturday was spent rebuilding aero.
New end plates for the wing, slightly adjusted from the ones posted earlier in this thread. Adjusted vent locations and rear cutout section, and added strengthening supports so they don't flop about, which is a bad thing.

Made small-ish side skirt extensions that extedn about 2.5" from the body. I will make some slightly larger or do something different for fall at AMP. And improve upon those, they were a quick last minute one, just wanted to see if they would survive to begin with.

New front splitter which is ... significantly larger than the old one.

Got no solid clean runs without a passenger, 3 runs got cut short due to red flags.
But, with a passenger, I was 3 tenths off PR, and the car was far more neutral feeling.

Which, for our cars, a passenger on such a short tight course should easily be worth near 1 second. As that's 5% or more of ballast.

Removed front windows, rears are next to go.
Might strip triangle windows in rear and make vented lexan.
Next will be to remove the remaining glass and go full lexan.

All remaining weight I can think of has been stripped, I'm not sure where else to go short of lighter body panels like hatch and hood, but weight won't be significant.
Next will be lighter splitter which is already in mind, and will be a good weight reduction as well.

Next important thing will be finally a switch over to a different suspension setup, and say goodbye to the BCs. They've been great, and have taken a beating, so I'm definitely holding onto them.

Still curious to see how far it can go without any power mods though at this point. Seeing the GPWerks S/C isn't looking very positive right now.

3541 - 3560 of 3578 Posts