Mazda3 Forums banner

3521 - 3540 of 3578 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
I seriously can't wait. Probably the fastest NA3 street car already is about to get faster.

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,526
Accomplished nothing tonight, spent the whole evening at the shop I went to weld my mirror replacements.

... and they got welded wrong.
So looks like tomorrow and specifically Friday night are going to be late nights trying to get the splitter in place and functioning.

At this point I won't be doing the suspension until likely a few days before the trackday, which won't be fun, but I don't have any other time to do it.

Question at this point is, should I risk swapping in a completely new suspension or just stick with the BCs since they've been just fine.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Don't risk it... experiment later, you already have enough stuff brand new hitting the track!

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'd like to know as well. An autocross friend of mine did that exact same thing to his Evo 8. Just so he could run even wider wheels and tires.

Sent via the FBI Surveillance Van outside my house.

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,531
not superglue lol, but JB at first but as you can tell, the upper halves couldn't quite hold it so I had to put in some rivets sadly as well; oh well, it's more of a thing of function than true appearance.

But basically, yeah. cut two lines, bent inwards by hand (off of car), test fitted, took back off, painted, and then ..... grinded and beat the heck out of them to fit semi okay.

The lower halves are vinyl, so that's why in all pictures you'll likely see the lowers will either look the wrong color or just beat up.
They certainly make a lot of noise, that's for sure..

They sound like metal mudflaps lol.
Also thanks to Rey's picture I realized somehow, either from the trip up there or just not having time to measure, the passenger side of the splitter is sitting lower. Measured and it's true.
So I need to redo the rear brackets on the passenger side, because that's an issue!

But hey, that's why you test these things early!
Now I just need a way to remove my bumper without having to remove the wheels.......
Because otherwise right now it's only two screws up from the bottom into the fenders, and the two poppers in the center.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I dunno how it is on Gen1's but on the Gen2's converting the front bumper to quick-release is almost laughably easy. Just take out the front undertray and fender liners and let the bumper tabs and two screws under the hood do their work. Should've showed you when I was in Atlanta.

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,533
the tabs that hold the sides in fail after you gen1s leave the factory.
The way I have it is really easy at the moment, only 4 items, but the screws on the side I cannot access with wheels on. I just want to remove it without taking the wheels off is all.

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,538
One thing I'm not overly excited about while swapping my front pads over last night (how I loathe speed3 calipers.....)

Noticed over the course of who knows how long the rubber boots on my brake lines had moved, and the brake line holder/guard has been very slowly rubbing at the lines, and started to chafe the outer coating on it. One side got down past the exterior rubber coating.

This is all of course after RTBrunelle's GTi's exhaust hanger rubbed through his rear drivers' brake hard line...

Always look at these things. Brakes matter... a little bit.

Bored out the remaining parts for the new suspension but I've come to conclusion with Brian that it probably isn't best to toss another variable in the mix, and just go to my previous setup.

Will be running more camber, other than that... see how things go this weekend.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Are you able to go -3.5 in front without destroying the front sway bar tabs? I'd like to do this but at -2.6 I'm already scraping the undercoating off my chassis. What do...

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,540
Didn't really have time to fix much, but trackday springs are all swapped in, -3ish or more camber up front, fixed some toe, drivers' side could come out a touch more but meh.

Washed, packed a little bit.
Gotta go photo & video a wedding.. so that's why I didn't accomplish a quarter of the things I wanted to. Been insanely busy.

After this I have to make a new splitter shape, hopefully this one will at least survive, if it does, it'll likely stay on through winter.
Mirrors didn't get... even cut out.
Gotta go get gas and pack the remaining stuff up.

Oh, but I did make new wing endplates.... already lol
With VG cutouts!

3521 - 3540 of 3578 Posts