Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I keep reading on this and other forums about blown engines in the mazda 3 and it's scaring me.

how many standard 2.0 or 2.3 engines (not mazda speed, no turbo, no modifications on the engine) have blown so far on these forums?
is it something that happens often?

reason I'm worried: want to buy used mazda 3, still in warranty, and don't have service records (it's a lease return, buying from a volvo dealer). I read several horror stories about blown engines and mazda canada refusing to replace it under warranty.

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
The only non turbo blown engine issues I've read were all due to operator error. And I read a lot on here.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, so what kind of operator error are we talking about here? what can I do to damage the engine, other than downshifting at high speed?

I understand I can do something stupid that destroys my engine and it will not be covered by warranty, I have no problem with that.
What I'm afraid about is the engine blowing up for other reasons (defect) and the dealer refusing warranty simply because I don't have the receipts for the oil changes prior to the time I bought it.

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
The only few I've seen are from improper downshifts by drivers who were not thinking or paying close attention what they were doing. Not by manufacture defect.

·
Registered
27,077 Posts
I've seen those, and the hydrolocked engines.... but those are also user error.... basicly driving into a lake of a puddle to the point of the engine sucking in water.

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
Yeah, the hydrolocks are a good callout. I wasn't thinking about those but true, those are all driver error.

·
Registered
25,357 Posts
Don't forget people with the 2.3's having the plastic oil filter housing crack. There's a few people that have had that problem happen as well, and had their engine lock up as a result. But generally speaking that comes from people not tightening the hosing properly and damaging it. Easy way to solve this is, a.) Do the oil changes yourself and do them properly. or b.) Have the Mazda dealer do them so if something does go wrong, voila, they are held accountable.

There's also been 1 or 2 people that have had the serpantine belt break and cause the engine to overheat, but thats a FREAK occurance and periodic inspection of the belt and and pulleys for wear should be able to prevent that from happening.

So basically, if you take good care of the car and do proper maint./rep. work, and don't dog the piss out of it, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah... I don't think there's a problem with the car, it looked to be in very good condition.
I'm having the dealer bring it to the CAA (the canadian AAA) for an independent inspection before I buy it.

the problem is, even if the car is in perfect order, and I maintain it properly with records from now on, and I get it inspected by the CAA or a mazda dealer right now (including stuff like engine compression check etc), if something happens can they just be assholes and deny warranty because I can't produce receipts for the first owner?

·
Registered
556 Posts
[quote author=danielj link=topic=138464.msg2984100#msg2984100 date=1236637770]
The only non turbo blown engine issues I've read were all due to operator error. And I read a lot on here.
[/quote]

Mine blew, no operator error... no over-rev, no hydrolock. 23,400 miles. I wouldn't say it NEVER happens, but it mostly happens to misuse.

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
[quote author=anythncldhppn link=topic=138464.msg2984543#msg2984543 date=1236651427]
[quote author=danielj link=topic=138464.msg2984100#msg2984100 date=1236637770]
[/quote]

Mine blew, no operator error... no over-rev, no hydrolock. 23,400 miles. I wouldn't say it NEVER happens, but it mostly happens to misuse.
[/quote]

I stand corrected! Can you provide some details as to the reason it blew?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Actually, since they covered it under warranty, I really didn't care. I was kind of goin through a lot of stuff when it happened, so my main concern was it getting covered, not what "it" was. If it was coming out of pocket, I would have known lol.

I was driving with a few friends and heard a fairly loud ticking coming from the engine so I pulled over and checked it out. I thought it was a valve tick, but they said it was coming from the short block. I'm assuming it was a rod bearing or something of that nature. They replaced the whole short block though.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
I'm on here a lot too, I hardly ever see any information about the MZ3 engines going. We've certainly got nothing on the 2009 WRX.

[quote author=bani link=topic=137675.msg2967883#msg2967883 date=1235878508]

[/quote]

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have over 192,000 miles on mine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts