1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/031202/latu099_1.html

Mazda Heads Into Holiday Season With Strong November Sales
Tuesday December 2, 2:52 pm ET

IRVINE, Calif., Dec. 2 /PRNewswire/ -- Mazda North American Operations (MNAO) today reported sales of 19,306 units in November -- a 21.9 percent increase versus the same period last year. The increase was the best November year-over-year jump for Mazda in the past decade.
The company's strong month was led by its sporty Miata roadster, which posted a 32.6 percent increase in November sales. In addition, Mazda reported sales of 6,180 units for its MAZDA6 flagship sedan. Sales of the MAZDA6, which celebrated it one-year anniversary in November, continue to build momentum.

"With a rebounding economy and a line of fresh and inspired vehicles like the MAZDA6, the RX-8 and all-new MAZDA3, which is just hitting showrooms, Mazda positioned itself last month to close the final quarter of 2003 in impressive form," said Jim O'Sullivan, president and CEO of Mazda North American Operations. "We expect our strong November sales, and a month of heavy holiday shopping still to come, to provide Mazda the kind of growth that will catapult us into 2004."

Overall, Mazda's year-to-date sales total 235,809 units -- down 2.3 percent from last year.

Mazda North American Operations is responsible for the sales and marketing, customer parts and services support of Mazda vehicles in the United States. Headquartered in Irvine, Calif., MNAO has more than 700 dealerships nationwide.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Good news on November sales, but it has got to be disappointing for Mazda to replace the 626 with the Mazda6, introduce the RX-8, and offer the Protege5 across the entire year, and yet still be down 2.3% on YTD sales.

·
Registered
427 Posts
In the USA, sales in 2003 are expected to be down 1.0-1.2% vs 2002. With SUV sales being higher in 2003 than in 2002.

So it appears that despite the innovation shown in Mazda's 2003 lineup, they are losing (slightly) marketshare in the US.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Wow... who are they losing marketshare to?

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hence the reason they're coming out with a new SUV in addition to the Tribute.

There was an article on how Saturn only had 1 model for 8 years, and now they have 3 and they waited too long to jump on the bandwagon so people went/are looking for other cars.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Here's the latest news for Mazda sales for the month of december:

Between Dec 02 and Dec 03, sales for Mazda are up 51%!
Mazda6 sold a record 8778 units!
Mazda3 sold 2000 units.

Everything is looking good :)

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
So these a sales are for all of North America, correct?

The article also mentions two Mazda6 derivitives. Those would be the Mazda3... and what other car?

·
Registered
120 Posts
schulkw said:
Overall, Mazda's year-to-date sales total 235,809 units -- down 2.3 percent from last year.
Sales must have really picked up in December:

Overall, Mazda finished 2003 with year-to-date sales of 258,865 units -- up 0.3 percent from last year.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Kazbaeden said:
So these a sales are for all of North America, correct?

The article also mentions two Mazda6 derivitives. Those would be the Mazda3... and what other car?
Correct, the article mentions Mazda of North America Operations (MNAO).

The two Mazda6 Derivatives would be the Mz6 Hatch/5door and the Mz6 Sportwagon.

·
Registered
372 Posts
The article showed 1 626 sold in Dec 2003. No kidding?? :shock:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Excellent sales on the MZ6... this was a very strong month for Mazda. They have a window to get some more traction before all the new high powered cars from other makers start appearing in their price segments.

I look for an MZ6 with the new Duratech 3.5 next year and some rework on the interior. Hopefully they get a 6 speed transaxle.

Also they need a bit more power on the RX-8 to get moving at its potential.

I was also quite surprised how strong sales remained on the Protege. Must have been plenty left, and they were blowing them out.

January should be a strong month for the MZ3 now that most dealers have good inventory levels, and the selection is better.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
True, Mid-model updates on the Mz6 are due after this year!

They'll probably bring in all the features on the Mz3 that aren't currently on the 6 (Xenon, NAV). The 3.5l Duratec should make 250hp easily!

Whenever I go to the dealer, I usually see about 3 or 4 Proteges on the lot.

Mazda sold 10 Millenias in 2003. Still making a killing :razz:

·
Registered
947 Posts
Spook said:
The article showed 1 626 sold in Dec 2003. No kidding?? :shock:
That's nothing, Rosenthal Mazda in Tysons Corner VA has quite a few 2002 626's "Priced to Sell".

·
Registered
31 Posts
new Mazda SUV?

schulkw said:
Hence the reason they're coming out with a new SUV in addition to the Tribute.
Do you have any details on a new Mazda SUV? I can't convince my girlfriend that the Tribute is in her future [she has a 96 Explorer and likes the cargo area better on it than on the Tribute]. I'm curious if Mazda is going to make an Explorer-size SUV.

/vjl/ [who, being a small car lover, isn't fond of SUVs]

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
I for one, hope not... unless it's something like the Infinity's FX35/45. haven't heard any talk about a new Mazda SUV; but I certainly hope it's not another rebadged Ford Explorer...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts