Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, I was driving my 2006 mazda3 and I lost complete control to shift gears. I had to have it towed obviously, but I came to find out that the actual shifter mod from TWM performance broke. So, just an FYI for people that have them to be careful... Thank god TWM is a nice company that is replacing it for me. I just have to go through the big pain in the ass install again. I do have a question though: Can anyone recommend a good grease lube that I can put on since I don't have the luxury of going back to the stock lube?

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
stop slamming your shifter. hahaha

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, yeah 415... The part that broke is the area on the main pole that juts straight out to the left and has TWM cut into it. It was such a clean break that I am surprised and don't know what happened. I have slammed it a couple of times but not nearly enough for it to break like it did. Well, I am lucky I guess because now I get to do it in the snow and fuckin' cold.Yay! Thanks for the lube referal too.

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
i was just giving you a hard time. i know a few ppl with broken b&m short shifters. it happens occasionally.

[quote author=Big Al link=topic=68301.msg1179205#msg1179205 date=1170274101]
Thanks for the lube referal too.
[/quote]

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

·
Registered
892 Posts
[quote author=Big Al link=topic=68301.msg1179205#msg1179205 date=1170274101]
Yeah, yeah 415... The part that broke is the area on the main pole that juts straight out to the left and has TWM cut into it. It was such a clean break that I am surprised and don't know what happened. I have slammed it a couple of times but not nearly enough for it to break like it did. Well, I am lucky I guess because now I get to do it in the snow and fuckin' cold.Yay! Thanks for the lube referal too.
[/quote]

Any photos of the part that broke? I am curious as to how it failed.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
[quote author=MZ3FRS link=topic=68301.msg1186948#msg1186948 date=1170643165]

Thanks
[/quote]

+1

I've been beating on mine for 33k+ miles.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
[quote author=ADaughen link=topic=68301.msg1188271#msg1188271 date=1170714041]
[quote author=MZ3FRS link=topic=68301.msg1186948#msg1186948 date=1170643165]

Thanks
[/quote]

+1

I've been beating on mine for 33k+ miles.
[/quote]

+2

·
Registered
35,160 Posts
I believe the part he is referring to is the tab that the linkage attaches to?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah blam is right. If you have the TWM shifter, I am referring to the part that juts out to attach to the shifter linkage cable. It has a big twm logo in it for reference. It just broke right off the shift rod itself.

·
Registered
96 Posts
holy crap the rod seems like it's made of pretty solid metal.... if you managed to break that by slamming... i'd be worried about ur tranny lol.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No, No PB... Not the ROD but the piece that juts out from the rod that has TWM on it. If you look close at the shifter the piece I am mentioning is not a part of the rod but something that has a place cut out for it, and is then welded in. The welds are obviously not very good or weren't on the one I had at least.

·
Registered
177 Posts
[quote author=Big Al link=topic=68301.msg1208195#msg1208195 date=1171496781]
No, No PB... Not the ROD but the piece that juts out from the rod that has TWM on it. If you look close at the shifter the piece I am mentioning is not a part of the rod but something that has a place cut out for it, and is then welded in. The welds are obviously not very good or weren't on the one I had at least.
[/quote]
yeah. what i'm getting from it is that it might have had a kind of defective weld job.
i've been beating the shit out of my TWM for 7000 miles, and its holding strong

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Wow. That is crazy.

I popped the welds on my 2T engine hoist last year. So I know about a bad weld, but, JB Weld should hold up on an item like this. Push the clutch in before you start yanking on the stick. :p ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts