Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Winning Blue manual M3 with sport package, temp tag and not even one week old.

Driving home w/ a couple I had treated to dinner at Outback Steakhouse and we wanted to spin some gears and have some fun in the new zoom-zoom.

ZOOM-ZOOM is bad!

Was on a tight circular busniess road (15mph speed limit?) at night (no cars) going quite fast when the rear tires lost traction and started to swing outward. I tried to steer the car more towards the center of the road and avoid the curb, but I had too much momentum.

As soon as the rear tire hit the grass curb it was all over, no traction. The car went sideways for several hudred feet along the side of the road until hitting some very soft dirt in a ditch. This slowed the car considerably, but unfortunately before coming to a complete stop the car came out of the ditch into some hard dirt which woudln't give: the bottom of the car stopped and the car rolled upside down.

Never been upside down in a car before... and I must admit the seatbelts keep you glued in your seats quite well! Had to unbubkle before falling to the ceiling and crawl out the rear window with my guests.

Me and my guests were all unharmed in any way; was just like a themepark ride =D. We all agreed that the M3 has a beautiful uncarraige. The exaust was all a very shiney stainless steel.

So this is my story of my FIRST new car. End result:

Shattered the driver side window, smashed the front windshield, wrinkled the body on both sides, damaged both fenders very badly and tore both side view mirrors off. The only thing that looks intact is the trunk, and oddly, the front bumper. The frame looks solid.

Be warned! The M3 has good traction and a good suspension, but its no ferrari. I am not a stupid kid that drives like a maniac, I typically drive very safe and responsible at all times. This new car has just been too FUN to drive and I've been testing its handling abilities too much. Dont let it get the best of you. And if you ever want to drive it for fun, for gods sakes get the ABS package!!!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm happy to hear that nobody got hurt. I'm saddened about your 3 though.

Thanks for the posting, b/c I consider myself a very safe driver and I too just picked up the 3 and have been driving it a bit aggressively to test out it's handling. It's too fun to drive straight!

I'll take your advice and remember that it isn't a Ferrari. I don't want to get anyone including my 3 hurt. Cheers.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Well this can mean 2 things
1. Insurance goes up like a BITCH for everyone that owns one since thats 2 wrecked in 2 weeks

2. The 3 is one safe ass car.

i still must ask what the hell you were thinking lets go down a road at night at so much over the posted speed limit in my BRAND NEW CAR!!!!

you piss me off man you really do...
hate me if you will but you are just damn stupid ok

glad your ok though

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Ummm... Jebus.. Chill dude. Honest mistake (at least he admits to being a dumbass wreakless freak).

Anyway - my question - you said the road was business 15mph, but how fast were you actually going? A couple hundred feet means you had to be doing at least 40-50mph, right?

That, in a 15, is crazy enough to slip even a Ferrari.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
The Phrog: Oh man! Flipped??? At least you're all OK - that must have scared the hell out of you. Are you getting another one?

Jebus and DJ Spencer: The Doc recommends a chill pill for BOTH of you - no name calling :)

EDIT: Thread title

·
Registered
238 Posts
damn.......that sux......
i must admit tho..........i find that the rear tires do tend to slip out easier than most cars when turning so i'm finding myself having to go slower than before on turns especially in the rain

i dont know if that's more of a tire problem or the design.....i'm thinking probably the tires

·
Registered
581 Posts
:( Yeeouch! Well, glad to hear that you and all your passengers are safe.

-Play safe

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Got in over your head. We all do it sometimes. Glad all is ok, car can always be replaced.

Its good to know even in a roll over the unibody was still intact. Some of the smallers cars just seem like they will buckle so easy.

·
Registered
272 Posts
vaBooM said:
Got in over your head. We all do it sometimes. Glad all is ok, car can always be replaced.

Its good to know even in a roll over the unibody was still intact. Some of the smallers cars just seem like they will buckle so easy.
Yeah, the 3 has 3 bars running the width of the roof for extra reinforcement. 8)

Sorry to hear about the accident, by the way. :(

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
dinu01 said:
Jebus and DJ Spencer: The Doc recommends a chill pill for BOTH of you - no name calling :)
Sorry.. I meant to quote him and say "stupid kid". I apologize. :)

·
Registered
563 Posts
Sorry to hear about the accident. I can say that I feel your pain. Maybe not as much as you, but my first new car is now smacked up quite nicely IMO. Did the SAB's go off? I'm not sure if the rollover is enough impact. The seatbelts do hold you nug, I can attest to that. Although it may be a sight worth crying over, curious if you have any pics.
As far as insurance going up, my accident was not at my fault, so the 3 takes no blame. And thank god my insurance isn't going up either.

BTW, you said you were taking passengers out to dinner. This wasn't a business meeting was it? And not to be a d!ck, but I thought it's always been a rule to turn into the slide. But it sounds like you were fearing the curb.

Craig

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
TellyDSP said:
And not to be a d!ck, but I thought it's always been a rule to turn into the slide. But it sounds like you were fearing the curb.
I was wondering the same thing, but the curb seems to have been an issue. However, I'd almost think it'd be better to try and "ramp up" onto the curb, absorbing some of the inertia. :?:

·
Registered
290 Posts
DJ Spencer said:
TellyDSP said:
And not to be a d!ck, but I thought it's always been a rule to turn into the slide. But it sounds like you were fearing the curb.

Hind site is always 20-20... I'm not sure the Monday morning quarterback feedback is appropriate when a guy just crawled out his rear window

Glad to hear every one is OK - I've lost the rear end of a car before and usually all I remembered to do correctly was to leave a deep set of fingerprints in the steering wheel. I assume you are insured - you'll be back on the road before you know it - just slow down a bit at least until you get a better feel for the car :wink:

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Hind site is always 20-20... I'm not sure the Monday morning quarterback feedback is appropriate when a guy just crawled out his rear window
I wasn't giving feedback on what he did or didn't do wrong - I was commenting on how others might learn from this - very different.

·
Registered
290 Posts
DJ Spencer said:
I wasn't giving feedback on what he did or didn't do wrong - I was commenting on how others might learn from this - very different.
Sorry - I wasn't quoting you... for some reason your name is over top of someone elses remarks.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Yikes... 2 casualties in 2 days. It's good to hear everyone in the car is alright, but it's definitely a lesson well learned. Hope your car will make it back to you in good shape.

Could you give us some details of what led to the incident? Was the road wet/icy? Were you driving on the stock tires (If so I'm assuming they're Eagle RSAs)? How fast were you going into the curb? Where are you from (if you could put that in your profile that would be great)?

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
vaBooM said:
Gotta love that chassis stiffening :) That's the Mazda H-structure thingamabob stuff... hehehe

Glad you and your guests are okay though. That's the most important part.
If you wanna test your car's limits, the best place is an empty parking lot, or an empty parking lot with cones (if you get my drift *coughautocrosscough*).

Keep us posted. Hope there's no whiplash.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts