Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2,160 Posts
Looks like this applies to the Mazda6 S (V6) intake only, though apparently the ECU on the 6 (& apparently the 3) are very sensitive to the fuel trims going out of whack.

I remember the AEM guy was making a big deal about this, saying that he was able to get more power out of different intake designs but that the designs messed up the fuel ratio, so he found a different design, that made less power, but kept the fuel trims close to stock.

Also, I don't think that this is an issue of inadequate fuel delivery, so I don't think a beefed up fuel system would help, what it seems is that the intake design is causing the MAFS to register that there is less air going into the engine than there actually is, so the ECU sends less fuel (too little for the actual airflow) and the result is a lean burn detected by the o2 sensors. It seems that if one could adjust the signal from the MAFS to make the ECU think there is more air coming in you could correct this problem, though youd have to really know what you are doing, if you screw it up and end up running rich that will be just as bad (perhaps worse) than running lean.

· Registered
2,160 Posts
Well since the mod caused the problem I'd say they would be justified in not fixing it.

On a related not, I can picture if Mazda hears about this that if anyone comes into a dealer with a CEL and has an Intake the dealer will say it's the Intake's fault.

Thanks Injen!!

· Registered
2,160 Posts
I don't think your going to come anywhere close to maxing out the fuel delivery abilities of the fuel system with just an intake, I'm like 99.99999999999% sure of that as Mazda would have had to specced it so the fuel pump and injectros run at or close to 100% of their rated duty cycle stock.

The issuse is, as far a I can tlell, making sure your MAFS (Mass Air Flow Sensor) is accurately reading the amount of air the intake is funneling to the engine. The problem with the Injen is that the MAFS thinks there is less airflow than there actually is and the ECU, given bad information, fails to send enough fuel for the actual air charge. The result is a lean burn that the 02 sensors detect which sets off a CEL .

If one were to hav a MAFS that is calibrated and/or designed for the Injen intake, and fed the ECU accurate data there would be no CEL issue at all.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.