Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im lookin into getting a cone cool air intake or a ram air intake, also a cat back exaust. What fits and what goes good with the mazda speed 3? Im also on a budget so im lookin into getting parts at a fairly reasonable price:) please help

·
Registered
9,502 Posts
If your looking for a good intake option, the good ones out there are made from Cp-e and Cobb. Cobb makes a SRI and cp-e makes both a SRI and CAI. They both have air straighteners to help the maf and have appropriate fuel trims. For exhaust if you only plan on a cat-back, you have tons of options out there. What sound are you looking for?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Cat back is not a power adder, but a downpipe is. I would skip the catback and buy a downpipe. I have a catted downpipe from CP-E. It's good. It does get louder with just the downpipe.

I have the Mazdaspeed CAI, with straightener - it's good enough for me.

·
Registered
300 Posts
It's the internet... what do you expect?

·
Registered
326 Posts
[quote author=CraZyItalian041 link=topic=133902.msg2877708#msg2877708 date=1232484195]
[quote author=budgy link=topic=133902.msg2877705#msg2877705 date=1232484113]
.....edited for content
[/quote]

O.O
[/quote]

One less member in our community :lol:

·
Registered
245 Posts
[quote author=ms3_rockerluv link=topic=133902.msg2877606#msg2877606 date=1232482368]
Im lookin into getting a cone cool air intake or a ram air intake, also a cat back exaust. What fits and what goes good with the mazda speed 3? Im also on a budget so im lookin into getting parts at a fairly reasonable price:) please help
[/quote]

I can vouch, a short intake and catted cp-e downpipe sound wonderful with the stock exhaust. I don't think I would get rid of it.

·
Registered
994 Posts
[quote author=ms3_rockerluv link=topic=133902.msg2880142#msg2880142 date=1232559903]
those downpipes are spendy @[email protected] im thinking either magna flow, or turbo xs cat back exaust. I still havent decided on an intake yet
[/quote]

So you're gonna spend just as much money on a cat back that will give no gains and only sound?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
PICS!!!!

p.s. get intake and a downpipe, do not get cat back, it doesn't do anything and costs as much. i have mazdaspeed CAI, no problems, am very happy with it.

·
Registered
994 Posts
[quote author=sleserginekolog link=topic=133902.msg2880417#msg2880417 date=1232565758]
p.s. get intake and a downpipe, do not get cat back, it doesn't do anything and costs as much. i have mazdaspeed CAI, no problems, am very happy with it.
[/quote]

+1

Downpipe/Racepipe = power gains and deeper exhaust sounds
Catback = no gains but different exhaust sound

$ are about the same for either or. I know which one I would pick.

·
Registered
23,017 Posts
i have the cobb sri and love it. thinking about switching to the cp-e nano though, i want to keep it SRI.

if you really want a catback that sounds good i have a GHL paired with the corksport race pipe.

the racepipe sounded good even with the stock CBE:

just buying the RP could be a cheaper alternative than the downpipe or catback/

here's what the GHL sounds like. its a little echo-y since it was under a bridge though.

·
Registered
77 Posts
[quote author=ms3_rockerluv link=topic=133902.msg2877606#msg2877606 date=1232482368]
[/quote]

If you're really on a budget I say leave it alone. The Mazdaspeed 3 is a great car from the factory. I understand doing mods if you're planning to race, but simply to "look cool" or to claim having "mods" is a waste of time and money.

Rant On - This is a big part of the reason many people hate the import owners with stupid wings and "fart" pipes. - Rant Off

Just make sure you'll actually benefit from having additional power in a way the justifies the cost. The MS3 isn't suffering when it comes to performance. I can understand getting a standard 3 and then doing some mods, but you need a good reason to mess with the MS3 in my opinion.

I previously owned an SS Camaro and it always entertained me to see people spend the money on the SS and then change the suspension and install bypass the ram air hood. Get a Z28 and save some money.

Note: I don't know you so please don't assume that I consider you to be part of my "rant" group above, it just slipped out. :)

·
Registered
303 Posts
well as a lady i cant judge your driving... nor can i judge what you want from the car. but i can bring up the age old intake questions...
do you live in a area that floods often, do you want easy access to the filter, are you looking for the most gains... these are intake questions designed to break down the good ole cai vs wai...versus hydrolock. i had a mscai on my speed 3 and got rid of it for the cobb sri(i use the ap). and can say even with the ap i feel no difference. now with that outta the way i think gains are similiar but enjoy the ease of access to the filter.. not having way down there as i clean it every oil change and its nice to see it. i sometimes miss the "bling bling" of the piping but feel the cobb has worked for me. so first ask yourself do you prefer a said company and then shoot down the cai vs wai war. i am in cali in a flood town so just never having to worry about hydrolock helps too. and as for exhaust i know everyone says dont... well i did. i love it, love the sound, love the way it looks and hell this is my speed 3 i will customize it as i see fit. and that was with a exhaust. no down pipe, wont do one i just wanted to make it my own. so good luck i have heard good things about all the cbe on the market made for the car so just look at install pics, listen to clips and find yours. good luck keep us updated and sorry everyone else it is my car i will rape it as i see fit. i do like what dude above me said though, makes you think....

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.