Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find my tyres are very noisy compared to my old car. I dont know whether its just the tyres used or the noise gets throuigh easier.
Can anyone give me any ideas?

·
Registered
650 Posts
It's probably a combination of factors contributing to the additional road noise.
55 profile tyres on the 16 inch wheels generate more noise than say 70 profile on 14 inch wheels.
Different compound tyres and different tread patterns are just noisier. Ever hear a 4x4 with off road tyres drive on a sealed road? Really noisy.
Less sound proofing. For instance the SP23 is the only model with the under bonnet sound proofing. I assume this probably flows through to the rest of the car and under carpet sound proofing etc.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I read from the forum that suggest the rigidity of the body plays a part in road noise, i guess thats a compromise for less body roll and better handling.

My friend bought bitumen soundproofing paint from supercheap at $15 a can(6 cans for underbody) for his subaru liberty and says it works quite well but alot of labour involved. I am going to do that soundproofing too. $90 for soundproofing is cheap comparing to $300 aftermarket..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Steve-o said:
It's probably a combination of factors contributing to the additional road noise.
55 profile tyres on the 16 inch wheels generate more noise than say 70 profile on 14 inch wheels.
Different compound tyres and different tread patterns are just noisier. Ever hear a 4x4 with off road tyres drive on a sealed road? Really noisy.
Less sound proofing. For instance the SP23 is the only model with the under bonnet sound proofing. I assume this probably flows through to the rest of the car and under carpet sound proofing etc.
I might get the SP23 bonnet sound proofing fitted and some underbody deadening.
I didnt buy the SP23 as i didnt like the look of the front and and the seats.

·
Registered
650 Posts
The guy at Mazda tried to tell me that they didn't put the sound proofing on the Maxx and Neo models because the engine was quieter than the SP23. What a load of crap...just trying to keep costs down.

The holes are in the bonnet so you should be able to buy the sound proofing and clip it in.

·
Registered
520 Posts
i guess its because the tyres are lower profile, as well as being larger - hence contributing more to road noise. personally i find that with a moderate sound level from the radio/cd, outside noise does not become an issue at all.

the only thing i get worried about is the occasional clunk as the wheels pick up a piece of gravel that may have been caught by mud guards...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.