Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the forum and am looking for some help.

Noise
I have a 2007 3 4D sedan and like most everything about the car but the main problem is road noise. Are there some solutions to dampening the noise? A lot of it seems to be coming from the back seat at the wheel wells. Has anyone tried installing some sound installation there?

5th gear synchro
When shifting into 5th gear after coasting at freeway speeds in neutral for a while, the synchro does not work well. Unless I shift very slowly, the gears grind. I can shift quickly to 4th then 5th with no grind. Is this a design problem or something specific to my vehicle?

Overall quality
There have been more problems than I expected. The have all been minor and fixed under warranty but I'm wondering if it is an indication of the overall quality. In 22K miles the following problems have occured.

Drivers window clunk at when fully up
Drivers window stuck at top when attempting to roll down
Buzzing in dash
Cigarette lighter stopped working.

Is this typical for a Mazda 3?

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
cig lighter not working = blown fuse..
window clunk.. i dont know.. but i have it 2
5th gear synchro... hmmmmmmmm.... never had that happening.... i would recommend changing tranny fluid to synthetic
and regarding the sound in the wheel wells. dont know.. i have a hatch..

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
Why would you ever be cruising at freeway speeds in neutral for an extended amount of time? Personally I don't see any reason to do that and never would, but it's not my place to say you shouldn't do it. So: are you blipping the gas to get the revs back up to where they should be before trying to shift back into 5th? That should help a lot if you're not.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
[quote author=chomp link=topic=138264.msg2980293#msg2980293 date=1236441027]
Drivers window clunk at when fully up
Drivers window stuck at top when attempting to roll down
Buzzing in dash
Cigarette lighter stopped working.
[/quote]

time to goto the dealer for warranty work.

[quote author=lucaspl88 link=topic=138264.msg2980519#msg2980519 date=1236458827]
5th gear synchro... hmmmmmmmm.... never had that happening.... i would recommend changing tranny fluid to synthetic
and regarding the sound in the wheel wells. dont know.. i have a hatch..
[/quote]

+1 ..... redline mt-90.

[quote author=cali_axela link=topic=138264.msg2980559#msg2980559 date=1236461219]
Why would you ever be cruising at freeway speeds in neutral for an extended amount of time? Personally I don't see any reason to do that and never would, but it's not my place to say you shouldn't do it.
[/quote]

long downhill stretches maybe? nothing detrimental about it, you would get better gas mileage by leaving it in gear though. provided the hill is steep enough to not lose speed

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have over 192,000 miles on my '04. The interior quality is poor. The A/C sucks. Exterior fit & finish is good. I had some issues early on, but have had no real issues in the last 92,000 miles. I have used synthetic blends & full synthetic oil which gets changed every 7-10K miles. Only recently have I had to add any between changes.

I do the downhill coast every day & have no problems with shifting back to 5th. Try changing to synthetic gear oil.

My windows always stick after it rains.

Paul

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
windows=warranty work=common when I worked at the dealer.
Can you be more descriptive with the buzzing? check the upper center dash for a crack in the middle, if there is = warranty
lighter=fuse (99.9% of the time)

I don't experience much road noise, but there again, I stopped caring after springs and sways went on with more aggressive tires :lol:

5th gear sync problem is a problem. Synthetic might help, but it will only be masking a problem, dealer trip as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses

Thanks one and all for responding! There are interesting and helpful responses to my post.

The cigarette lighter (and a few dash lights) along with the buzzing were fixed under warranty. The cigarette lighter was a fuse, the buzzing was some part just below the steering column (I assume it had something to do with the engine vacuum since it buzzed loudest when the throttle was closed. Are the vent controls vacuum operated?).

The window felt had to be reglued which, after it was fixed removed the clunk when the window went up but, now there is a clunk when the window goes down. I think the clunk going down is due to some dirt/glue left in the top channel. The window gets stuck in the up position. When if finally decides to come down it starts with a loud clunk. I'll clean the channel and the top of the window to see if that fixes it. I'll also see if it has any correlation to rainy days.

I'll have the 5th gear synchro looked at before the warranty expires since it appears that no one else is experiencing this symptom.

Again thanks for your responses.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hello Chomp. I’ve experienced the same 5th gear synchro issue. Just to confirm, when going down a hill on the interstate, I would sometimes put the car in neutral to coast. When I put the car back onto 5th gear, it would sometimes grind. I found that I had to match revs perfectly for a clean re-engagement. As long as I blipped the throttle, I had no problems. On the positive, despite that little “tightness” issue, my transmission feels great under all other circumstances. I don’t think that issue is a symptom of any problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yep, that's the exact problem that I have. By using the 4th gear synchro (clutch in, shift into 4th then 5th then clutch out) the I can get around the problem.

Now I'm not sure if it's a design problem or a problem specfic to a few vehicles. Anyone else want to try this and see if your 5 speed shows the problem? On a down hill stretch, put it in neutral for about 10 seconds then put the clutch in an try to shift into 5th. Does it grind?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Mine works fine, I do this every day, sometimes 2-3 times a day. I have several long downhill stretches where I can coast 1-2 miles. Shifting into 5th gear has never been a problem. I have over 193,600 miles.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have the same 5th gear issue and window stick in an 09 Ms3 4 door...
Any one else missing a hood lining? Not sure if previous owner removed it or if it was never on the car.
Hoping it will be cover under the 60k mile warranty but just got the car so money's tight how much will the stealers get from my bank?

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
my pass window makes that clunk going down... what i did was take a small section of felt and stick it up in the crack where the window goes. you dont see it at all when the window is down or up. it removed the clunk.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts