Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else lose boost in cold weather?

I was driving somewhere after the car had been sitting for a few hours at -20. The temp guage was just getting warm.
Came to a light, with a V6 Altima beside me. Her lane ended & I assumed she wanted to cut in front of me, so I got a quick start from the light. She hesitated, during which time I hesitated. assuming no race. Then she tromped it, so I tromped it. She blew past me. 2nd gear took forever to hit 6K. This is clearly a problem, and the first time I have ever had anybody even come close off a light. The car normally just lights off.

I played with the car the rest of the day. Seemed to perk up, but no convenient way to race or time the accel.

Anybody have any thoughts? I have to hit the dealer at some point to get the CEL fixed, and maybe I should have him check the ECU. I assume the ECU held off on the power for some reason.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Them Altimas are dang fast with the hot 6 in them....... Although I know what you mean.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Get the CEL fixed first, then try to race. The ECU could be pulling boost because of a problem. Also, you don't have to rev 2nd to 6k rpms. 5k or so should be just fine so 3rd would come right in the powerband. The Altima 3.5 is quick but as long as it's not modded, the ms3 will take it if launched correctly.

·
Registered
185 Posts
[quote author=robertscott link=topic=69455.msg1205770#msg1205770 date=1171414772]
Anybody else lose boost in cold weather?

I was driving somewhere after the car had been sitting for a few hours at -20. The temp guage was just getting warm.
Came to a light, with a V6 Altima beside me. Her lane ended & I assumed she wanted to cut in front of me, so I got a quick start from the light. She hesitated, during which time I hesitated. assuming no race. Then she tromped it, so I tromped it. She blew past me. 2nd gear took forever to hit 6K. This is clearly a problem, and the first time I have ever had anybody even come close off a light. The car normally just lights off.

I played with the car the rest of the day. Seemed to perk up, but no convenient way to race or time the accel.

Anybody have any thoughts? I have to hit the dealer at some point to get the CEL fixed, and maybe I should have him check the ECU. I assume the ECU held off on the power for some reason.

[/quote]

stating the obvious, but...

what were the road conditions like and was the dsc on? If the road conditions were slippery the dsc would cut boost when it detects wheelspin.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree the Nissan 3.5 engine is a beautiful engine, but the MS3 should be able to take it.

The road conditions were dry. The DSC was on, but I don't think it kicked in.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Does the DSC light come on whenever the DSC detects wheel spin/slippage? Cause i have the same issue but I am sure I am not getting spin or slippage.

Lately 4th gear and above has been a dog. Might as well be driving a regular 3. But i do have a check engine light until i get it serviced in 1.5 weeks.

·
Registered
906 Posts
[quote author=Mattleegee link=topic=69455.msg1206632#msg1206632 date=1171435598]
Altima 3.5, 350z, G35

All same motor
[/quote]

Similar engine. The Altima version is the 240 hp version while the 350 and G get 300hp versions. That is a 25% increase, and a rather large difference to call them the same.

The new Altima I believe got bumped to 260-270 hp, though I doubt this was one of the new ones.

As for the no boost thing, with a cold engine, it is very likely that the ECU may not allow full boost until a certain coolant temperature is reached. The VTEC on k-series engines will not engage until a certain water temp is reached as well.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Its been quit cold here in MN... and yes, when the temp approaches zero degrees or below, it seems like the car doesn't have much boost at all, especially in 1st or 2nd, even 3rd. When the temp got back up to 20-30 it was back to full boost again.

·
Registered
185 Posts
[quote author=robertscott link=topic=69455.msg1207019#msg1207019 date=1171468989]
I agree the Nissan 3.5 engine is a beautiful engine, but the MS3 should be able to take it.

The road conditions were dry. The DSC was on, but I don't think it kicked in.

[/quote]

yeah then that's not the problem. The dsc on dry roads is rather abrupt in its intervention, ala there's no way you'd NOT know it had activated.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I been doing some thinking "which is dangerous" ha ha

But from what I have read, seen and learned it just looks like the MS3 was a car designed more for good weather conditions. The car is probably at it's best with clear conditions with teperatures in the 50-60s

YOu add rain or snow and the front wheels spin even when you don't want them to. Seems liek there is jsut no way aroudn that. I am not dissapointed in that cause hey I did buy the car and I knew it was goign to be different going from a AWD to a FWD car. IT is jsut takign a lot of gettign used to and it means no more traveling when there is snow out there.

Truthfully I think if I put some snow tires on the car or if they came with some good all season tires it would not be as big a deal but with these summer tires I have no traction at all in the snow. So I get a day off work- not all that bad..

Hopefully I will get used to all of the new FWD tendencies. I was used to an AWD car and taking turns and gettign goign from a stop are very different. But at the same time the top end torque is awsome when you are on the highway and need to pass somebody or get out of the way during a merge. Every car has it's pluses and minuses I guess.

I just hope that Mazda fixes some of the known issues like the CELs people are gettign from that valve and more importantly the transmission/engine mount bolt that has failed on several cars. If they get that stuff fixed I will be much more happy.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Once the engine is at operating temperature, I have no boost issues no matter how cold it is out. -24C and the car boosts fine.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
So now some people are getting less power when it's cold outside... :dunno:

Do these people still experience this once the engine has fully warmed up even when it cold outside??

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
cooler temps outside will net more power, but if the engine has not reached operating temp, then cold air outside is detrimental somewhat to power, until the engine warms up. most likely a failsafe on the motor. it is like you jumping out of bed and running down the street...you will have a little more spunk if you had stretched and downed some wheaties first.

·
Registered
185 Posts
[quote author=jasno999 link=topic=69455.msg1207357#msg1207357 date=1171477624]

But from what I have read, seen and learned it just looks like the MS3 was a car designed more for good weather conditions. The car is probably at it's best with clear conditions with teperatures in the 50-60s

YOu add rain or snow and the front wheels spin even when you don't want them to. Seems liek there is jsut no way aroudn that. I am not dissapointed in that cause hey I did buy the car and I knew it was goign to be different going from a AWD to a FWD car. IT is jsut takign a lot of gettign used to and it means no more traveling when there is snow out there.

Truthfully I think if I put some snow tires on the car or if they came with some good all season tires it would not be as big a deal but with these summer tires I have no traction at all in the snow. So I get a day off work- not all that bad..

Hopefully I will get used to all of the new FWD tendencies. I was used to an AWD car and taking turns and gettign goign from a stop are very different. But at the same time the top end torque is awsome when you are on the highway and need to pass somebody or get out of the way during a merge. Every car has it's pluses and minuses I guess.

I just hope that Mazda fixes some of the known issues like the CELs people are gettign from that valve and more importantly the transmission/engine mount bolt that has failed on several cars. If they get that stuff fixed I will be much more happy.
[/quote]

um no clue where to jump in on this one... but here goes. The speed 3 is a fine winter machine. You first need to realize that it comes with summer/performance tires only, not something unusual for performance vehicles. As for no travelling when there is snow out? Well, that's true if you're being silly and have left the summer only performance tires on the car during winter, a rather big no no. Had they put all season radials on this car what do you think the complaint would be from nearly everyone who purchased one? "Gee, I wonder why they didn't put some decent tires on the car", it's already been mentioned that the stock tires are okay, but certainly not top of the line performance tires as it is.

As for spinning the tires when it's wet or snowing out, yeah, time to invest in some winter tires or else get some all season radials if your winters are mild. With the dsc on, my winter tires and sheer ice out I get a bit of wheelspin initially but I'm soon on my way.

Either way, I'm using mine with temperatures down to minus 30C outside, and 'road conditions' that include black ice and up to 6 inches of snow at times. The car, like most fwd's has zero issues with all of the above.

·
Registered
248 Posts
With snow tires and the DSC on, my car is a bear in the snow. I was really impressed. The only problem is the front end is so low, it acts as a snow plow. :? I haven't noticed any loss of boost yet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I tested the car a bit more today - just as everyone said, no boost when the engine is cold. Once the engine warms up, even with cold outside temperatures, the car flies.

I might put a tarp in front of the rad for the winter- something I always do for my wife's Honda, as her van always runs cool. I take mainly short trips, and I would rather have the engine run hotter rather than cooler.

I also agree that the car is pretty good with winter tires. However, I did get stuck once trying to get up my driveway in deep snow. The front end acted like a snowplow and had built about 2 feet of snow ahead of the bumper.

·
Registered
177 Posts
[quote author=Tigs link=topic=69455.msg1208242#msg1208242 date=1171498233]
[quote author=jasno999 link=topic=69455.msg1207357#msg1207357 date=1171477624]

[/quote]

um no clue where to jump in on this one... but here goes. The speed 3 is a fine winter machine. You first need to realize that it comes with summer/performance tires only, not something unusual for performance vehicles. As for no travelling when there is snow out? Well, that's true if you're being silly and have left the summer only performance tires on the car during winter, a rather big no no. Had they put all season radials on this car what do you think the complaint would be from nearly everyone who purchased one? "Gee, I wonder why they didn't put some decent tires on the car", it's already been mentioned that the stock tires are okay, but certainly not top of the line performance tires as it is.

As for spinning the tires when it's wet or snowing out, yeah, time to invest in some winter tires or else get some all season radials if your winters are mild. With the dsc on, my winter tires and sheer ice out I get a bit of wheelspin initially but I'm soon on my way.

Either way, I'm using mine with temperatures down to minus 30C outside, and 'road conditions' that include black ice and up to 6 inches of snow at times. The car, like most fwd's has zero issues with all of the above.
[/quote]

Well I am tryign to get thru the winter using the stock tires. I know it is not the best thing to do but at this point I don't have the time or the cash to spend on getting snow tires. On top of that I found it hard to even find a snow tire out there that would fit our stock rim. So I am starting to look at 16 and 17 inch rims as a 2nd possibility. I may just want to get a 2nd set of rims for winter driving with winter tires installed on them. I just have to make sure the smaller rim would clear the break caliper.

Mazda has just made it difficult in my opinion to easily find winter tires that fit our stock rim. They picked an odd sized rim and there is just not much out there in terms of winter tires for the size. It is not impossible but not easy. They just did not design the car to be driven in poor weather conditions- I think that is pretty obvious.

Granted at the same time I do realize that a good set of winter tires would make a huge difference. But the car is low to the ground, full of torque and comes with tires that are crap in the snow. add all that together and it makes for a fun car in the summer but a not so fun car in the winter.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts