Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I noticed that there have been people around here with broken No.3 engine mounts (passenger side). I haven't found anyone reporting a broken No.4 (Transmission-side engine mount). My mechanic and I discovered the rubber in the mount was completely sheared in two pieces while installing my Exedy stage 1 clutch.

This dates back to my first few transmission related complaints. I experienced a clunk in certain driving situations that progressively became what I thought to be problems related to the clutch assembly. Under a sudden application of wide open throttle in any gear, there would be three hard thumps that seemed to originate from the transaxle bell housing. I figured I had a broken clutch plate/hub spring at first. Then later on, it was accompanied with a grinding sound and an intermittent rattle that seemed like gearbox failure. The fact that it occured in every gear under similar conditions led me to believe it was either the differential or clutch assembly (The only things that remained a constant factor between gears).

Now that I have discovered this broken mount, it makes a lot more sense. Some may recall that the dealer refused to inspect my drivetrain due to the Tein suspension parts on my car. Well, considering this complaint dates back before the suspension modification, and is a known trouble area for this car, I am going to try again next Saturday to see if warranty work is possible with this component since I have about 8,000 miles left on the warranty. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[quote author=saluteTOme link=topic=69099.msg1316643#msg1316643 date=1175882829]
updates?
[/quote]

Took it to the dealer a little over a month ago, and the regional service manager approved the warranty work citing "we've been having problems with the mounts in these cars..."

It drives great again, however there is still a little clunk occasionally which leads me to believe that in 20,000 more miles or so I can expect to have it probably fail again. What a crap design.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts