Mazda3 Forums banner

Do you go out to drive your car, just because you want to drive it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I'm enjoying my 3HB and wanted to know where should I take it for a spirited drive.

Criteria:
-windy road
-a few undulating hills
-preferably 2 lanes in each direction
-not too much traffic

There is this road near where I live that is fun to drive, but it is gosh darn dangerous sometimes b/c telephone poles are only a couple feet away...

Thanks!

·
Registered
64 Posts
not too much traffic.... bwaa haaa haaa! sorry. i just got back from driving my 3 from manassas to rhode island and back for a family emergency. our traffic is worse than nyc's!!

there is a nice little road between centreville (fairfax county) and prince william county va that runs through clifton. route 645 is also known as clifton road. pick it up on route 29 (lee highway). complete details:

take 66 (if you have to) to the exit for 28. take 28 south to centreville.

from 28, take 29 (lee highway) to the east. then take a right turn onto clifton.

follow clifton through the village. afterwards, look for the intersection with wolf shoals road (610), take a left. 610 will connect with with 123 (west ox road), which will connect with braddock road, 29/50 (lee highway again), and will change its name to chain bridge road before connecting back to 66.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion boomom. I work in Herndon so it shouldn't be too difficult to give your route a try.

Last Sunday, I went for a drive down GW Parkway to Alexandria. It was a beautiful day, but GW isn't that fun of a drive. So I turned around and drove up to Montgomery county and drove on Beach Drive a bit and the to Brighton Dam Road as well. Beach Drive was nice b/c it was very windy, but we have to remember to keep our speed down b/c of the bicyclists.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Another fun one near Herndon is Gum Springs road. It goes from Rt 50 to Rt 234. You need to do it soon because they are starting to build it up.

If you want real fun, head up to Front Royal and do the Blue Ridge Parkway down to Rt 211. Then head east to Warrenton. Through that area you also have some fun roads like Rt 688 that takes you in to Orleans.

This ain't a bad place to live once you get west of Manassas.

P.S. Hiya BooMom :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
are you talking about popes head rd? ive had some memoral times on that rd. hehe

boomom said:
not too much traffic.... bwaa haaa haaa! sorry. i just got back from driving my 3 from manassas to rhode island and back for a family emergency. our traffic is worse than nyc's!!

there is a nice little road between centreville (fairfax county) and prince william county va that runs through clifton. route 645 is also known as clifton road. pick it up on route 29 (lee highway). complete details:

take 66 (if you have to) to the exit for 28. take 28 south to centreville.

from 28, take 29 (lee highway) to the east. then take a right turn onto clifton.

follow clifton through the village. afterwards, look for the intersection with wolf shoals road (610), take a left. 610 will connect with with 123 (west ox road), which will connect with braddock road, 29/50 (lee highway again), and will change its name to chain bridge road before connecting back to 66.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts