Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Warranty is up, time to add some power. I've had the MSCAI since day one and that is the ONLY mod for the past 2 years and 36k miles- so the current thinking is either a dp or Cobb AP.

Which would you go with and why?

Downpipe:
The catted Cobb or CPE Dp has proven hp results, should give 20-40whp depending on who you believe, is a moderately challenging install and you hear a good bit about compromised turbo seals in conjunction with DP install. Sound like an accurate summary?

I considered a Corksport or TurboXS non catted set up(w/race pipe) but have inspection/emissions concerns for Pa state inspection. Does the diode and or spark plug fouler trick get a catless car through the OBDII scan?

Cobb AP:
Install doesn't get much easier than this. Offers a fair amount of different OTS maps to run. Offers datalogging and MIL clearing capabilities, very nice. What I can't really get my head around is what it does hp/tq wise for a nearly stock car. Cobb's published #s don't look that good to me(I'm from the VW/Audi world and those are so undertuned that software does ALOT for them-perhaps I'm jaded as a result).

Dread mentioned somewhere in another thread(I'm paraphrasing) that he thought that with the AP 1.03 maps, the Cobb AP was perhaps doing as much, or more, than a dp. Anyone else agree? Does AP improve the driveability? IE, it adjusts the cars attitude in more ways than just max hp and peak #s? Lots more "under the curve"?

So there are my ramblings, thoughts and a few question on dp vs AP. Which would you go with and why?

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Get the AP. Latest map notes are out, and they seem right for power. Taken from the notes...

http://www.accessecu.com/accessport/mazda/AP-MAZ-02/MS3Maps.html

Power Output: +7.6% HP / +12.3% lb-ft. Results may vary.

That's about 20hp/30lbft gain, and you can feel it trust me. I ran the AP with just a MSCAI for awhile. Plus, you get boost limits removed in lower gears and higher revs. Not to mention all the other features. Completely worth it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
[quote author=evo2ms3 link=topic=136805.msg2949028#msg2949028 date=1235100969]
[/quote]

Excuse my ignorance, but does +7.6% literally mean 7.6% increase of my current bhp? ie If I have 265bhp now, by adding 7.6% is about a 20bhp increase?

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
[quote author=DannyB link=topic=136805.msg2949234#msg2949234 date=1235106348]
[/quote]

Excuse my ignorance, but does +7.6% literally mean 7.6% increase of my current bhp? ie If I have 265bhp now, by adding 7.6% is about a 20bhp increase?
[/quote]

Yep. About 20hp/30lbft increase according to map notes. May be more or less depending on mods and car.

·
Registered
106 Posts
will be following this thread with great interest. I am looking at the same two options. I am still in warranty though so the AP may be a little more attractive. Though hard to resist the sounds (and proven gains) of cpe tbe.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I ask the forum the same question a few days ago. The decision was made and now the AP is currently shipping to my house. AP= minimum hassle and good power gains. Downpipe will be next when i save up a little bit more money.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cut from zachsh other thread:
"TT 3rd gen? "not to car savvy". Get ready to empty your pockets!

p.s. Thanks for serving for our contry."

Truer words were never spoken on both accounts.

AP seems like the win- my only reservation is that I really would prefer to spend my $ on *hardware* vs software. Outdated thinking, I know. That whole datalogging feature however....too good to pass up.

I run my fun car/weekend warrior on Megasquirt and it has some excellent datalogging capabilities. The value of this capability is HUGE, makes tuning SO much easier and accurate. Makes me appreciate AP that much more.

That said, are there any proponents of a dp on Mazda programming? Eventually it will get programming anyway, I'm in this car for the long haul, but I'd love to hear a contrasting opinion. Who's in the dp camp?

·
Registered
17 Posts
i asked the same question about two weeks ago and i decided to go with the downpipe. i went cp-e catted and love it. all i want to do is drive. now i have MS CAI, RPCM Inlet, HKS SSQ BOV, and Cp-e catted downpipe. no smoke, i was worried but people have said that the inlet may cure that and i already had it. AP is next on my list though. i would get the downpipe first. just turns the car into a beast

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
The AP will probably be my next serious mod as well. I'm still under warranty so won't be going the dp way for a while although the gains are proven and very tempting. The AP is what I call "easy" HP, along with other cool features.

·
Registered
277 Posts
dp for sure, youll get a lot of gain compared to the cobb

basically cobb will make the power band smoother and longer but the dp will make it higher and faster

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
[quote author=bf360 link=topic=136805.msg2952848#msg2952848 date=1235268866]
basically cobb will make the power band smoother and longer but the dp will make it higher and faster
[/quote]

So you're saying get both :lol: Another vote for the dp. I have to admit I *really* like the idea of the dp. Need both anyway, just gotta afford this mess.....

·
Registered
277 Posts
[quote author=tuckaloe link=topic=136805.msg2954386#msg2954386 date=1235350617]
[quote author=bf360 link=topic=136805.msg2952848#msg2952848 date=1235268866]
[/quote]

So you're saying get both :lol: Another vote for the dp. I have to admit I *really* like the idea of the dp. Need both anyway, just gotta afford this mess.....
[/quote]
trust me you will like the dp more now, alot more power and torque, at least wait until the protuner software is out for the ap

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Powertrain is to 5 years/60000 miles and Basic (Bumper to Bumper) is 3 years/36000 miles.

So if you are waiting for your powertrain warranty to be up, it is not.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
[quote author=DannyB link=topic=136805.msg2949234#msg2949234 date=1235106348]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Or it could mean that they experienced on average a 7.6% increase over baseline WHP on the cars they tested that particular map on.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
[quote author=08CrystalWhite_SoCal_MS3 link=topic=136805.msg2956631#msg2956631 date=1235433730]
Powertrain is to 5 years/60000 miles and Basic (Bumper to Bumper) is 3 years/36000 miles.

So if you are waiting for your powertrain warranty to be up, it is not.
[/quote]

Good point. However, I'm modding anyway. I've had this car 2 years now and just can't stand it anylonger. If ever there were a car that does NOT need any mods, this is probably the one. But you know how that goes.

I change my mind about every damned day while trying to decide. It almost doesn't matter which, I'll do both eventually.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts