Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
who's running these and what are your impressions? i think i'm going to switch from my kumho asts since i wasn't overly impressed with them and these, by most accounts, seem to be better if not superior.

any opinions?

·
Registered
825 Posts
I had these on my previous 3. Tire size was 225/45/17. They were a good "bang for buck" tire. Grip was ok, treadwear was good. Only thing was wet traction wasn't too great, hydroplaning was common. But for the price I paid, I can't really complain.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Hey biped,

I currently have the Nexen N5000 and I say they are somewhat alright.

They handle like complete shit in rainy weather and decent in hot weather.

Yeah, they are cheap if you are looking for just daily driver tires (No Autocross, Time Attack, ETC.) But when it comes to performance..two big thumbs down.

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
when it comes to tires, you get what you pay for. . .

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[quote author=rubyred3 link=topic=137917.msg2973357#msg2973357 date=1236100876]
when it comes to tires, you get what you pay for. . .
[/quote]

really? i thought those used tires i found in the junkyard for a nickel were fucking awesome.

i have been layed off since christmas and am collecting unemployment with a girlfriend who is on maternity leave that is 55% of her annual wage. i know i get what i pay for and what i want to pay is as little as possible while still retaining some semblance of performance. my kumhos won't pass inspection, they're so dead.

these seem just fine for the money. i wish i could afford the potenza g019s i originally wanted but unfortunately i can't.

keep the REVIEWS coming, people. and all rather obvious speak is not needed.

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[quote author=dabears2k link=topic=137917.msg2973385#msg2973385 date=1236102056]
I was not a fan of the n3000's. I liked the general exclaim UHP much better
[/quote]

i have heard they're also a tremendous bang for the buck tire.

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
[quote author=biped link=topic=137917.msg2973411#msg2973411 date=1236103332]
what i want to pay is as little as possible while still retaining some semblance of performance. [/quote]

If this is what you're looking for, then these tires will probably work just fine for you. I know many people who have run these for the street and not complained about performance. They don't last much longer than most performance tires though. Personally, I'd spend a little more money on a decent all season GT type tire instead. You'll get the same level of grip and far better wear.

For the record, you asked "any opinions", and I gave you my opinion. Sorry to hear about your money situation, but I don't really feel like the rant was warranted.

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well i don't feel obvious info is warranted either. what you could have wrote was exactly what you just wrote about friends using them, etc.

what is a decent gt tire that is slightly more money, ruby?

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
Well, the Kumho's are in that category (ASX's or AST's) along with Avon Tech M550 or Fuzion Hri. all of these have better treadwear ratings than the Nexen's, and all will perform comparably (the Hri might be a little worse, but not much).

My point is not that the Nexen's perform that badly, its that for a tire thats a summer only tread pattern, they perform terribly and you might as well get a tire that will last longer and perform better in adverse weather. Sure, they are cheap, but they are cheap for a reason. Tire cost is a combination of initial cost and wear. Value is a combination of wear, cost, and performance. They don't do so well in my mind b/c of the wear/performance ratio. Cost/performance they are pretty solid. If you are just trying to get something to get you by for a bit until your financial situation gets right, then they might be the ticket for you (or the Sumitomo HTRZ might be as well; they are good on performance/price, BAD on wear/performance).

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i'm looking for 500ish cdn after taxes. the nexens fit that bill, i'm not sure if anything else will.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
do you know if the Kumho SPTs are out of your price range (I suspect not)?

If it isn't, I would have no problems running either the Nexen N3000s or the General UHPs

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
This thread has been helpful for me.

I've been looking at replacing my Falken Ziex 912's and was leaning towards the General Excalim UHP's.

So much in fact that I started reading user reviews and just placed an order with Discount Tire for the Generals. Thanks!

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
[quote author=coondogg link=topic=137917.msg2974048#msg2974048 date=1236122854]
I just got my second set of SPT's (225/40/18) on ebay for $320 shipped...
[/quote]

shipping to canada plus conversion and duty would be huge for me.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts