Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Just thought I'd introduce myself and ask a few questions. I'm based out of Calgary, AB, CA and am about to buy a 3 in the next month or so. I come from owning a 300zx but being a college kind I need to find something more economical lol. I've been creeping the forums and reading everything I can about the car. Did an extensive search on modding but I couldn't find the answers I was looking for so I was hoping someone could help me out.

I've read all the NA modding threads but I can't find any numbers on mz3 whp estimates after modding. I had to kind of add the estimates given in the NA modding threads to the 130 or so whp the mz3 makes and make my own assumptions on how much whp a modded mz3 would make. So my question is how much whp in general would an mz3 make with stage 2 (according to the modding threads) modifications? This includes full ground kit, intake, full exhaust (including header), timing.

· Registered
6,649 Posts
get a standback.. get it tuned ( CP-E standback almost out to public ) and you might see something above 160whp

· Registered
860 Posts
Stage 2 NA mods + CP-E StandBack should be able to get there. Just need to wait for the SB to come out.

· Registered
6,649 Posts
with all the money ull spend.. might as well go BOOST !!! and make 230-250 whp

· Registered
860 Posts
Or just get a speed3 and call it a day :)

· Registered
6,649 Posts
the last time i spoke to Ryukensfj he told me that F2 S/C wont really come out... dont know.. pm him for more details.. it could change now.. but thats what i heard a couple of weeks ago..
I COULD BE WRONG

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Isn't the CPE standback for speed6? I'm follwing the F2 S/C as well...sure hope its not cancelled. Anyone tried the F2 turbo kits?

This might get me flamed, but whats an SB? Never heard of the acronym before :shock:

I would just take the easy way out and go MS3 but the insurance rates alone would kill a 22 year old like me lol

· Registered
7,428 Posts
[quote author=writhen link=topic=140864.msg3036329#msg3036329 date=1238760090]
Hey guys,

Just thought I'd introduce myself and ask a few questions. I'm based out of Calgary, AB, CA and am about to buy a 3 in the next month or so. I come from owning a 300zx but being a college kind I need to find something more economical lol. I've been creeping the forums and reading everything I can about the car. Did an extensive search on modding but I couldn't find the answers I was looking for so I was hoping someone could help me out.

I've read all the NA modding threads but I can't find any numbers on mz3 whp estimates after modding. I had to kind of add the estimates given in the NA modding threads to the 130 or so whp the mz3 makes and make my own assumptions on how much whp a modded mz3 would make. So my question is how much whp in general would an mz3 make with stage 2 (according to the modding threads) modifications? This includes full ground kit, intake, full exhaust (including header), timing.
[/quote]

Full bolts ons: pulleys, catless, header, exhaust, intake, intake manifold and tuning should put you in the 160's-170's. Then there's stuff like cams and higher compression, but I don't believe either has been done and cams sound kind of like a pain in the ass.

Full bolts ons will run around 2-2.5K with tuning. A turbo kit will run at least $3400 from f2 depending on whether or not you can tune and install it yourself. Also with a turbo comes the headache of whether or not you want to build your engine, which you don't really have to do with bolt ons.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
[quote author=alpha732 link=topic=140864.msg3037394#msg3037394 date=1238795913]
Full bolts ons: pulleys, catless, header, exhaust, intake, intake manifold and tuning should put you in the 160's-170's. Then there's stuff like cams and higher compression, but I don't believe either has been done and cams sound kind of like a pain in the ass.

Full bolts ons will run around 2-2.5K with tuning. A turbo kit will run at least $3400 from f2 depending on whether or not you can tune and install it yourself. Also with a turbo comes the headache of whether or not you want to build your engine, which you don't really have to do with bolt ons.
[/quote]

I suppose F/I is still the more expensive route then. Also, how would full bolt ons affect trade in value say if I wanted to trade the car into a dealership a couple years from now? I figure with a turbo they probably wouldnt even accept a trade in..but shouldnt be a problem if it was just na with bolt ons.

Nice avatar btw lol

· Registered
320 Posts
Has anybody even done a real, full-on NA build? Most seem to start with Rods, Pistons and Head Studs, then figure out it'll be cheaper in the long run to boost. Also, seems to me, with the high compression, catless exhaust and header you'd be effin loud. If you live in an area that's picky about noise levels or 'modified exhaust' like mine, you'd be a rolling ticket magnet.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am actually worried about being loud with just the F2 header, race pipe and CBE. The 2.3 has a nice deep rumble at idle but it seems to be able to get really loud with that setup and im not sure how good that would be for a daily driver. Also, what about drone while on the freeway?

· Registered
7,428 Posts
[quote author=writhen link=topic=140864.msg3039163#msg3039163 date=1238895345]
I am actually worried about being loud with just the F2 header, race pipe and CBE. The 2.3 has a nice deep rumble at idle but it seems to be able to get really loud with that setup and im not sure how good that would be for a daily driver. Also, what about drone while on the freeway?
[/quote]

you will be fine depending on what exhaust you do with.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.