Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, im new to the forum n new to alot of car stuff as well. I have a question about the fuse for car....i was wonderin if i want to replace one do i have to go to dealer and get a set? is there anywhere else i can buy these fuses?? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Most of your fuses that you will need to worry about being replaced are standard "mini" blade fuses available just at any auto parts stores as well as some other discount stores (I bet they're even in convenience stores). The blade fuses generally come in two sizes - standard and mini. Assuming you have a Mazda 3, mini is the one you want. You can generally buy them in an assortment pack for less than $5 that will last you some time.

If you need to replace one, just be sure to ONLY replace it with the same amperage rating of the fuse that you are replacing. These fuses are color-coded, but it doesn't hurt to read the number on the top anyway.

-Rob

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks robert for that information. Actually I want to replace one because I am planning to install a lighted door sills on all four doors, and because of the more power consumption the interior map light n the door sills light will be dimmer...i was hoping to replace the existing fuse to a higher rating in amp so i can increase the power.

·
Registered
611 Posts
[quote author=kengaroooo link=topic=68118.msg1174337#msg1174337 date=1170083788]
Thanks robert for that information. Actually I want to replace one because I am planning to install a lighted door sills on all four doors, and because of the more power consumption the interior map light n the door sills light will be dimmer...i was hoping to replace the existing fuse to a higher rating in amp so i can increase the power.
[/quote]

dont do it. fuses are usually rated on the wiring used for a component, not the component (light) itself. Increasing fuse size increases risk of you torching your car to the ground. Just wire your sills in parallel instead of series-- this provides a common voltage across all branches and you won't suffer a loss of intensity.

·
Registered
10 Posts
[quote author=Zorminster link=topic=68118.msg1174668#msg1174668 date=1170095250]
dont do it. fuses are usually rated on the wiring used for a component, not the component (light) itself. Increasing fuse size increases risk of you torching your car to the ground. Just wire your sills in parallel instead of series-- this provides a common voltage across all branches and you won't suffer a loss of intensity.
[/quote]

I agree - boosting the fuse rating invites a potential for a fire or at least component damage. If you have an Autozone or Parts Express near by, go in there and get an "Add a Circuit" kit which is less than $10. This taps into an existing fuse block and adds a new circuit and fuse for your own purposes. That way, you're not drawing all of your lighting current through the original circuit. These are often limited to 10-15A, but that should be plenty for any interior lighting that you want to do. If not, you'll need to add a new main fuse under the hood which is much more extensive (and costly).

-Rob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts