Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, I think that I am going to get one...I just wanted to know some feed back on what people think of theirs and what parts i should buy. I am going to get one as stock as possible if i do decide to buy one and then get upgrades soon after

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
well i have the mazda 3 sport....base as you can get and i still love it. I have done plenty of mods...what are you looking to upgrade to...looks, performance, audio? more info you give the better we can assist.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have the audio down because i work at a store that sells it. looks i think i have taken care of as well. the main the i need advice on is performance...what is the biggest bang for my buck. i think stock on a mazda 3 is like 140 horse or so....it just doesnt cut it

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
Well if you want NA power check out the stages of NA power mods.

Intake - i prefer F2
Exhaust - all are pretty good, I have trubendz, great price
and more in the mod section, they are all stickys....stage 1 stage 2 and stage 3.

anymore questions i will gladly help.....maybe for some audio hook ups...LOL..

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
lowest mazda3 has 150 hp i think. unless your in california.

search for modifications for the car. if your into body kits, the selection is decent. not the best.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i am in california...i was hoping people might know the est horse power i would be getting for each part.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Dude...don't be a base-model bozo. Buy your car with the more powerful factory engine up front, then leave it the hell alone. No (reasonably priced) bolt-on for the base 2.0 is going to give you the power and tractability boost of going for the 2.3.

Sad but true: Most bolt-ons produce more noise than horsepower. That wasn't true in the 80s, before computer modeling and computer controlled engines, but it's true now. Intake and exhaust mods will make your car seem faster by making it louder, but usually COST you a few horsepower in the lower rpm ranges where you spend most of your time, in exchange for an imperceptibly small gain near redline. The factory has already optimized power, fuel economy and emissions.

Seriously, spend your money wisely and be happier with the result: If you want more power, buy the bigger engine.

It's a different story if you're planning to turbocharge, of course. But now you'd be a bozo to do that too, since once again, the factory offers it fully warrantied and done right in the Mazdaspeed 3.

·
Registered
55 Posts
[quote author=friedputty link=topic=67374.msg1163647#msg1163647 date=1169523177]
Dude...don't be a base-model bozo. Buy your car with the more powerful factory engine up front, then leave it the hell alone. No (reasonably priced) bolt-on for the base 2.0 is going to give you the power and tractability boost of going for the 2.3.

Sad but true: Most bolt-ons produce more noise than horsepower. That wasn't true in the 80s, before computer modeling and computer controlled engines, but it's true now. Intake and exhaust mods will make your car seem faster by making it louder, but usually COST you a few horsepower in the lower rpm ranges where you spend most of your time, in exchange for an imperceptibly small gain near redline. The factory has already optimized power, fuel economy and emissions.

Seriously, spend your money wisely and be happier with the result: If you want more power, buy the bigger engine.

It's a different story if you're planning to turbocharge, of course. But now you'd be a bozo to do that too, since once again, the factory offers it fully warrantied and done right in the Mazdaspeed 3.
[/quote]

Agreed!

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
[quote author=friedputty link=topic=67374.msg1163647#msg1163647 date=1169523177]

[/quote]

Werd. You got the audio on lock. Sounds like you plan on dumping some good coin into this rig. You'd be better served going straight to Speed3, possibly a sport (GT has Bose, and I don't even want to THINK about the clusterf*** that is removing and replacing that). You'll already have your hot suspension, one helluva motor, good tires (i'd say wheels but thems some heavy bitches) and best of all it's a hatch. Hatch make good boom-boom with JL Audio. You'd spend 10k AT LEAST to get where a Speed3 is stock. And the Speed3 is only 5-7k more depending on options.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah, if you want powerful you'll need a mazdaspeed3. The 2.3l has 8% more horsepower and 15% more torque than the 2.0l, but it's also 100lbs heavier so the weight eats the horsepower difference. The only benefit of the 2.3l is that it has more torque, but the difference isn't that big. Put in an intake, exhaust, do the timing mod, improve the grounding and you'll only add 15-20 hp total (the accumulated gain from several mods is less than the sum of the individual mods, except for throwing in a turbo). You don't want to turbo it in California because it'll never pass emissions, and for the $5000 parts and labor to add the turbo, you could have bought a mazdaspeed3 that will pass emissions. The s should have had a turbo 2.0l or the V6 off the Mazda6, but it doesn't. The mazdaspeed3 is expensive, but it'll give you all the power you need stock and it's still priced favorably against everything in its class with remotely that much power.

If you don't want a ms3, just buy a 3 s sport sedan. It's the best bang for the buck as a starter foundation. Then follow ShaleZoom3's advice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts