Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I just got a amp for my car, would that make any difference in sound quality and power? Also what do I need to look for exactly in a amp and sub? Any recommendations would be nice.

·
Registered
97 Posts
You can fid the answers to these questions around this forum. However, I'll give you the quick answer: if you put an amp in, also plan to get new speakers. Most people will say get speakers first. If you get really efficient speakers, the 10-15 Watt RMS that the stock HU puts out might be adequate, at least until you add the amp.

But, if what you meant by amp is just for a sub, then, yes, it would make a huge difference, just to add some thump.

There was a recent post about someone wanting to spend just $150 on a sub and amp, and someone else gave a great response.

And for specific recomendations, we'd need to know your price range and what it is you want to accomplish. Many of us spent several hundred to thousands for the sound we wanted. The costs can add up, but for even a small amount of money, and some patience on eBay, you can make a huge difference to you sound.

Hope this helps.

--Elliot

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Yes, if you have the Bose unit, you are probably going to have to replace everything including the speakers AND the head unit if you want a substantial improvment in sound quality. Unfortunately, it isn't very compatible with anything else because it uses ultra-low impedance speakers, and has built-in equalization for the speakers it uses. If you replace the speakers with something else, the built-in equalization will be messing things up even more than it does with the original Bose speakers.

The only consolation is that the Bose unit does sound a bit better than the stock system, however, it is nowhere as good as what it costs.

If you get speakers that are at least 90 db efficient at 1 watt (or 93 db sensitivity at 2.83 volts is the same thing) you can make do with the stock (non-bose) head unit. But there isn't much a margin, even 1db less than than this and you will need to add an amp.).

·
Registered
245 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm looking to spend about 150 dollars on the amp and maybe 200 it I can get a sub with it. I basically want higher volume capability and better sound and alittle more hit off the bass. What do you guys recommend?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts