Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my first mazda on Saturday night. It is a 2008 Mazda3 HB s touring automatic. The dealer I purchased from was 150 miles away. I drove the vehicle home and had no problems. I drove the vehicle Sunday morning and had no problems. As I was leaving my parents house to go home my check engine light came on. What could be the problem with a brand new car? I have only had the car 3 days now. Any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
31,083 Posts
have you put gas in? the most common CEL is probably a loose gas cap.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the only gas that has been put in was by the dealer. i even took the gas cap off and replaced it. still there.

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the new car... i'm sure it's not fun to get a CEL so soon but it's probably something simple.

It's hard to say for whether this applies since you have not yet added your location to your profile, but in most states your local AutoZone/Kragen/etc car parts store will pull your CEL codes for free with their own shop scan tool. Write down the code(s) they tell you (the code will most likely start with the letter "P" and be followed by a 4-digit number) then come back and search for that code on here... you'll most likely find lots of info on its cause and hopefully on the solution.

Warning: if the yellow CEL light is blinking/flashing, that means there's a very serious problem and you should go directly to a dealer to get it fixed under warranty. Blinking CEL = multiple misfires, which is bad. If it's just lit up solid without blinking, don't worry about it too much, just get the code read and figure it out soonish.

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
Just noticed you're in Cali... unfortunately, there was a law passed last year which prevents shops here from reading codes for free. Some Kragens will still do it if you seem legit, but don't get your hopes up. You can alternately just buy a simple code reader on eBay for about $20 (as long as it supports OBDII and CAN-BUS protocol, it'll work).

Or, the obvious solution... just go to the nearest local dealer. Since you're under warranty they should do it for free too. This would be my suggestion if there's a Mazda dealer nearer to you than where you purchased the car. Wouldn't hurt to get to know them, if you plan on taking it there for oil changes and stuff in the future.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts