Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, not entirely new, I lied. I just haven't had a car in ages that I really liked or drove enough to bother putting a sub in. That changed with my MS3. Now, the only thing that it really is lacking I find is bass. My dilemma is that I can not afford to lose much hatch space and unfortunately JL doesn't make a stealth box for the 3. Any advice beyond getting a custom(limited budget). As I said, haven't been around subs in a long time and as with any tech. I am sure there have been advances.

Not looking for the entire neighborhood to know I am home, but I definitely want to feel it without drowning out the stock system if possible. I have the GT so it is the 7 speaker Bose setup. Sound quality is more important than rattling my car apart though.

SO: 1.) What driver do you guys suggest?

2.) What amp?

3.) Any idea of how small/slim a box might be utilized?(The reason I need small as feasible is due to the gear I have to carry around.)

Now feel free to let me know if there is some high end stuff out there I don't know about. If I have to I will save up. I appreciate any info you guys can give me. I realize this is kind of a tall order. So thanks. Also, I am aware there was a GB for a custom box, but that seems to have fallen apart.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone? :?

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know, I mentioned that in my OP. Like I said, seems that GB was a bust.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I'd have a look at the aftermarket Audio FAQ
http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=40202.0

It's got some recommendations for brands etc. As for stealth boxes etc... JL makes a slim-line sub now... I've never heard it, but if it's from JL I think you can safely assume it'll sound good. JL isn't cheap though, and I don't know how the pricing on these guys stacks up.
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/jlaudio_pages.php?page_id=213

Then just make a custom box (not a stealth box) out of MDF that will fit that sub. It should be small, which would limit the amount of space you lose. Other options would be to learn how to fiberglass yourself, and build a stealth box... or go pay through the nose to have a custom stealth box built.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay so after looking at that FAQ, I now know I want a sealed box. That JL slim line looks really cool, but it think it said it will not be available till the third quarter of 07. :( Alright, so sealed box, probably a 10.

Now what do you guys think? Looking for clean bass, definitely want it to hit well, but overall musical quality is more important. From your own personal experiences what setup do you think I should go with? Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Sealed boxes don't go as deep as ported, but what's nice is the compact size.

I'd also consider multiple 6.5" subs and 7" subs since those are becoming popular. Two 8" subs can even sound pretty good.

It really depends on your budget, but I'd take an

Adire audio brahma if I wanted a 10" sub - $320.
MTX THUNDER TA5601 1x600W AMPLIFIER CLASS D - $420 (shipped street price)

On a lesser budget, maybe a Dayton Audio RS10HO for $120.
Then get some used non-generic Ebay amplifier (mono) that puts out about 300 watts or so for $150.

I'm not really one for all the glitz and glam of subwoofer bling, which is why my sub pics are "black" and pretty generic looking.

I'd also check out elemental designs since they have some subs designed for small enclosures. A "Slim" sub is also made by Tag Band which is a good company too.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Ported boxes go lower, but the sealed boxes actually deliver more accurate sound because the gradual rolloff of sealed boxes integrates very nicely with the room gain of the small car interior. Ported boxes will go low but sound really boomy because of excessive output at low frequencies.

Some people like that. I don't.

My 12" Dayton HF driver (from PartsExpress.com) in 2 cu ft box (Stealth = NOT!) goes plenty low. You should hear it playing Bach organ music! My 12" driver is doing well enough that I'm pretty sure that the related 10" Dayton (which only needs a 1.2 cu ft box) would be quite acceptable if what you want is musical accuracy. A 1.2 cu ft box will fit in the side compartment, or so I've read here, and I am considering doing that myself, because the 150-lb box for my 12" is rather inconvenient at times. I think I am just going to make the box look pretty with some nice wood trim and sell it as a home audio sub.

The other advantage of sealed boxes is that you don't have to use a subsonic filter on the amp, because they are incapable of playing subsonic. Ported subs can easily destroy themselves with excessive cone motion from subsonic inputs, so it is wise to use this feature (which most sub amps provide) for ported subs.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the tip geewhiz. Yeah, musical accuracy is more important to me. That will in most cases provide more than enough thump. But booming my interior to bits, and destroying my overall musical enjoyment are not what I am looking for. We seem to be in the same boat. I would much rather have my sub hit, but complement my music, than override it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
If you want something that plays low, loud and accurate with good SQ, check out the Treo SSi 10". This is an excellent quality sub and one of the best out there for SQ if setup right.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
760 Posts
Ported boxes go lower, but the sealed boxes actually deliver more accurate sound because the gradual rolloff of sealed boxes integrates very nicely with the room gain of the small car interior. Ported boxes will go low but sound really boomy because of excessive output at low frequencies.
Actually, sealed goes lower than ported, unless you port at something insanely low, like 22hz. Ported just has a unnatural peak around the tuning frequency, then sharply drops off lower than tuning frequency.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
It looks like an acceptable budget subwoofer. The xMax is rather low at 9mm. If you have more money I would recommend this:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=295-460

This is an extremely high-fidelity woofer, and the $110 cost for something with a precison cast frame, aluminum cone, shorting (damping) rings, 14 mm of xMax is just plain a really good deal.

A box for it would cost about $50, or you can make one yourself from MDF. The 1.2 cu ft cabinet would be somewhat larger than one you just posted, but it would go lower and won't have problems with overexcursions, which don't sound great, but also aren't really good on the driver.

It still would be very easy to remove when you have cargo, or (for more money) would work fine in a stealth box.

My box weighs about 150-200 lbs. I wish I had bought a smaller driver.

You can run this on an inexpensive sub amp like my $99 (incl. shipping) Profile Baja, and it will rock in a very satisfyingly accurate way.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
483 Posts
If u want good,deep,clean bass, the basslink 2 is great,check out the reviews for it. I might sound biased here-afterall, im selling mine, but check it out for yourself before you take others advice-everyone's ears are different.

·
Registered
258 Posts
the basslink 2 got horrible reviews.. from all the reviews i have seen for it.. its a piece of shit.. the majority of complaints is that they all die within a year or so... for what they want for that thing.. better off building your own box, get a sub for around 120 and a good amp.. not that basslink crap. You would end up saving money if you went and got yourself a real sub and amp.. and do more damage in the long run.

·
Registered
383 Posts
sony has a new line of subs that fit almost anywhere even in the doors too bad they sound like shit. but i got the remedy, there a company out of san fran called earthquake. there mostly comp speakers and subs. ive had the same 2 subs in my trunk for the past 2 years and have never had a problem with them. they also just came out with a new line of subs for limited space but still pack a punch. heres a link the there site
http://www.earthquakesound.com/subwoofers.htm
to power it i would get a smaller JL if your not going for overwhelming power, there pricy but great bang for the buck.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts