Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just took ownership of the car a few hours ago it is a stick shift and noticed it grinds going into 4th and 5th gear. 5th will eventually stop grinding but 4th goes it no matter what. Not a loud grind but enough to hear it some. Clutch grabs great. Feels solid. Is this a common issue? I was thinking changing the transmission fluid with some sycromesh. Always had good luck with that in other vehicles.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I would save the $30 you'd spend on the fluid and put it towards your replacement transmission.
I've had a ton of Honda transmission's and transmissions in general including t5's that have slight grinds that completely went away with sycromesh fluid change and lasted. I doubt it needs a transmission. But never know I suppose. These transmissions known for issues? Granted I haven't a clue how the previous owners have taken care of it

· Registered
563 Posts
No the manual transmission in these is extremely reliable. We have combined almost 430,000 miles on the two we currently have with 5 speed manuals and not a hint of trouble. Both still shift exactly as they did while new. Although replacing the transmission is not real fun, it is the same labor as a clutch job so you can combine the two tasks. Used transmissions are like $300-500 so they're not unobtainable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts