Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a good all-season tires for upstate NY. Don't care about sportiness whatsoever, but I want good traction in the wet, and decent ability in the snow (I know it won't be as good as a snow tire). Kids in the car, so safety is #1. It will be a mix of city and highway driving.

I think I've narrowed it down to either the Pirelli P4 Four Seasons or Yokohama Avid TRZ

Also considered: Michelin Primacy MXV4, Kumho Solus KR21, and General Altimax HP

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have and love the P4's on my Altima(205-65-16). Great in the foul weather, good on snow/ice. Better than one would think by just looking at the tread. They hold the road in the corners and track nice and straight on the highway. Better than one needs for normal type of driving but, they're not a HP tire, just a really good a/s tire. Highly rated on TheTireRack and Consumer Reports. The TRZ's are highly rated as well and so are the KR-21's and AltimazHP. And of course the Michelin Primacy MXV4.

The highest rated on both the tire rack and consumer reports is the Michelin HydroEdge but, they're the most expensive of all of the tires you mentioned except the MXV4's. The HydroEdge are usually T rated maybe H too and the Primacy MXV4 are H rated. Most of the other tires mentioned are either T & H reatd or just T rated.

Another tire that is highly rated and gets great customer reviews is the Hankook Optimo H727. I'm thinking of installing these on my daughters 06 Mazda3i(205-55-16). She doesn't need a performance tire as she drive in Buffalo, NY and any of the tires that you or I have mentioed in this post is more performance than she will ever use. I can't beleive how nicely all of the tires mentioned here, handle in the corners and how well they track on the highway along with being smooth and quiet. I have driven may vehicles with KR-21, P4, HydroEdge and TRZ and they too are great tires. Only drove one car with the AltimaxHP and they too were nice. If you just looking for really great all-season T or H rated tires, you couldn't have chosen a better group.

As a dad, Im very concerned for our kids. So, buy online and pick just about any of the tires mentioned. I usually visit some local tire shops and look at the tires sidewall and style to see if it will look good on my vehicles. Also check the tirerack for consumer ratings in the area that your buying tire for. Example, I want a/s tires that do well in the snow/ice but are also nice riding and handle decently. I already know that most tires do well on dry roads! Get a price installed and check online. Right now as it stands, I'm choosing the Hankook Optimo H727. I usually leave the Michelin's on the shelves. Not that they aren't great tires but, they're usually way too much money for only being a little bit better.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The Pirelli's have a lot of material in the sidewall which makes them ride just a touch firmer and weigh a little more (which I've see affect fuel economy on Prius' by 3-4 MPG worse). It also means that turn-in response is a little quicker.

The Yokohama's have a softer feel to them and should be better as far as resisting hydroplaning with the 4 circumferential grooves as opposed to the Pirelli's 2.

Both offer great mileage and premium level performance, it come down to a matter of preference. I like the Yoko's out of the two, but whatever floats your boat! :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have had dozens of tires with 4 circumferential groove and the Pirelli's 2 groovs
are even better than most that I have tried. Can't answer for the Yoko's in the wet but, I'll bet their great too. I can answer for the KR-21's (good as well). The better tires in this catigory mentioned in this post will serve most people very well.

And yes, the pirelli's are about 3 lbs heaiver than most other tires of it's size and
do corner well and in some sizes they even look a bit skinny/narrow and they just don't have a beefy look as some tires do but, what a tire, especially for an A/S!

My daughters M-3i has Dunlop Signature's which have a girthy look to them but, their only OK not great...OK in the snow but loud most of the time. Could channel water better too! Looking for better.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I has the P4s on my 04 focus (they were the stock tire). They handled great dry, pretty good wet, but horrible in the snow. If there was anything on the ground it was like driving on a summer tire - no traction at all.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm surprised that the P4's on your Focus are terrable in the snow as I have
had great succuss with them on my very torquey Altima. The P4's have helped
with the off line wheel spin that this car is know for. And in winter driving, the P4's are as good of an A/S tire that I have ever had although, not a snow tire.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts