Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
I'm guessing it's another Metra kit with the sagging top edge. You'd think after 5 years, they'd get it right by now :/

Nice HU though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'm not sure what brand the top piece is. I've got a new one, but who ever owned the car first installed that and glued it in so i can't fix it unless I buy the entire trim piece.

·
Registered
91 Posts
What do you think about that HU? I was thinking about the F90bt, but start up time and such seems loooong. Also, how is the GPS? Do you feel that the screen is big enough and placed alright since its offset to the right a bit? Thanks!

-Sean

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[quote author=230-Sean link=topic=136491.msg2943606#msg2943606 date=1234916832]
What do you think about that HU? I was thinking about the F90bt, but start up time and such seems loooong. Also, how is the GPS? Do you feel that the screen is big enough and placed alright since its offset to the right a bit? Thanks!

-Sean
[/quote]

So far I like the HU, serves my needs pretty well. I bought the iPod adapter to go with it and they work together flawlessly. The voice recognition/bluetooth phone support work amazingly well also. I mounted the mic for the phone on the top of the pillar by the visor and contacts can't tell that I'm talking on the phone through my radio.

As far as the startup time goes, it is a little slow. However, substantially faster that before the 2.0 update Ive read. Usually though I start my car about 10 minutes before I leave for work so it's good to go by the time I head out. And after work I start the car, plug in my iPod and by the time I'm pulling out of the parking lot it's already playing music from the iPod even if it's not completely booted up. It's really not that noticeable to me but may bother some people.

As far as it being offset from where a factory nav unit would be, I don't notice it much. I don't really nav anywhere since my daily route is to and from work (I've got it down on how to get there :lol:). But when I have used it, it didn't bother me to glance down. Aside from that, it speaks to you so you know when you need to be turning. It also updates the location very fast, so there is a lot of little location jumps on the screen instead of a few larger jumps, if that makes sense. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Looks good. Mines on its way here, hopefully it should be here tomorrow. Have you had a chance to use the hd radio? Does it require a separate antenna? Ive been looking around online and cant find them anywhere.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm getting one too. Should be here within the week. I also got the steering wheel adapter.

BTW, where did you put the GPS antenna? Can you take pictures of that and the microphone installed? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Other than the sagging top edge the kit fits ok. Given that the good-fitting japanese kits are so overpriced, I wonder if it would work to glue in some rigid foam or hardwood to the metra kit to get the top edge to fit properly.

It really detracts from the appearance, especially after all of the nice work mazda and Pioneer did on styling.

·
Registered
38,019 Posts
[quote author=El Ropo link=topic=136491.msg2942697#msg2942697 date=1234898550]
I'm guessing it's another Metra kit with the sagging top edge.  You'd think after 5 years, they'd get it right by now :/

Nice HU though.
[/quote]

Try again. At first I put my kit in without the LCD, and it fit fine. It was only after installing the LCD that it looked "saggy" and I can only assume it's the same with the Metra pocket. The thing that doesn't really fit is the back piece, when the screen or pocket is in there the dash strip actually bulges out at the bottom--so it's not the top edge of the Metra kit. for those of us that kept the LCD, dremelling off about 1-2mm of the black LCD bezel ought to do the trick.

For those who opt for the silly pocket thing though, I'm afraid there's probably no solution.

·
Registered
760 Posts
[quote author=Alec Trevelyan link=topic=136491.msg2982837#msg2982837 date=1236579045]
I'm guessing it's another Metra kit with the sagging top edge. You'd think after 5 years, they'd get it right by now :/

Nice HU though.
[/quote]

Try again. At first I put my kit in without the LCD, and it fit fine. It was only after installing the LCD that it looked "saggy" and I can only assume it's the same with the Metra pocket. The thing that doesn't really fit is the back piece, when the screen or pocket is in there the dash strip actually bulges out at the bottom--so it's not the top edge of the Metra kit. for those of us that kept the LCD, dremelling off about 1-2mm of the black LCD bezel ought to do the trick.

For those who opt for the silly pocket thing though, I'm afraid there's probably no solution.
[/quote]

I don't know what you're trying to say, but the Metra kits definitely sag along the top edge right out of the package. It's a manufacturing problem, nothing to do with what, who, or how it is installed.

Do a search for pics of metra kits and you'll see that every single one has a sagging top edge.

·
Registered
38,019 Posts
[quote author=El Ropo link=topic=136491.msg2983275#msg2983275 date=1236615988]
[quote author=Alec Trevelyan link=topic=136491.msg2982837#msg2982837 date=1236579045]

Nice HU though.
[/quote]

[/quote]

I don't know what you're trying to say, but the Metra kits definitely sag along the top edge right out of the package. It's a manufacturing problem, nothing to do with what, who, or how it is installed.

Do a search for pics of metra kits and you'll see that every single one has a sagging top edge.
[/quote]

I would remove my LCD and show you that without it mine doesn't "sag" but to be honest I just don't care enough to do that ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts