Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, just wanted to introduce myself. I'm probably going to be picking up my black MS3 Grand Touring tomorrow or Friday. I've got a deposit on it at a dealer in Albany, NY. My current car is a 2000 VW GTI with the 1.8t engine. I've got an Upsolute chip, Eurosport intake, Forge DV and a Milltek cat-back exhaust. I'm very happy with the performance (especially the torque down low in the rpm's)....but I have a 4 month old son and I really need to move to something with 4 doors.

I drove the MS3 and loved it! My wife has a 2001 Protege ES and we've been very happy with it, so we decided to go with a Mazda for my next car.

So yeah....that's about it from me. Figured I'd say hi, I'll be hanging out here when I can.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Word. Another convert to the temple of Mazdaspeed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
[quote author=gundal link=topic=70127.msg1222811#msg1222811 date=1172111301]
Welcome to the forum...

From upstate NY? Be sure to post pics when you pick up the car! :)
[/quote]
Yep, I live near Albany. I'll be sure to take a bunch of pictures when I get it. That's another one of my hobbies.... :)

·
Registered
466 Posts
whats up i am converted from VW as well. i had an '02 with intake, upsolute chip, eurosport front and rear sways/stress bars, weitec drop, forge diverter, GHL downpipe and full exhasut. looks like we almost had the same setup - i dynoed my ride and it put down 197hp, 237 tq. the throttle on this car seems a little better, more responsive for sure. i thought the GTI handled like a go kart but this thing blows it away in its stock form. ive only had mine for 200 miles so i really havn't gotten on it yet.

heres my before and after shots

·
Registered
355 Posts
[quote author=IlikeGUNS link=topic=70127.msg1223493#msg1223493 date=1172142915]
whats up i am converted from VW as well. i had an '02 with intake, upsolute chip, eurosport front and rear sways/stress bars, weitec drop, forge diverter, GHL downpipe and full exhasut. looks like we almost had the same setup - i dynoed my ride and it put down 197hp, 237 tq. the throttle on this car seems a little better, more responsive for sure. i thought the GTI handled like a go kart but this thing blows it away in its stock form. ive only had mine for 200 miles so i really havn't gotten on it yet.

heres my before and after shots

[/quote]

lol, i think its hilarious you guys are going from VW to mazda, I am too! especially IlikeGUNS--your going from a silver vw golf to a silver ms3. I am going from a black vw golf to a black ms3. just thought it was neat...maybe its not, but i thought so.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
That is funny. Seems all the sport compact guys in general are taking notice, especially the Euro ones. Maybe it's because it's a hatch?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Welcome aboard! Nice looking cars, especially the MS3!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm picking it up around 2:30 today!! I can't wait. I'm very sad to see the GTI go, I really did love it. I've had too many problems with it to go with another VW though....window regulators, MAF, O2 sensor, heated mirrors, etc. My wife's Protege has been (knock on wood) super reliable, so Mazda gets the nod this time.

Definitely seems like there are a lot of VW owners defecting, I think that VW's quality problems on the "small things" (non-engine/transmission/powertrain related) is really hurting them.

When the Mazdaspeed Protege came out, I thought to myself "If they only made this in a wagon I'd be all over it!"....and now it's out in a wagon version and I AM all over it. I'll get some pictures up when I get the chance....

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Can't wait. (Of course, we won't see pics til next week, he'll be too busy driving it.)

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
[quote author=BrandonC link=topic=70127.msg1223906#msg1223906 date=1172161139]

When the Mazdaspeed Protege came out, I thought to myself "If they only made this in a wagon I'd be all over it!"....and now it's out in a wagon version and I AM all over it. I'll get some pictures up when I get the chance....
[/quote]

welcome, but its not a WAGON!!!! :lol:

·
Registered
81 Posts
For what it's worth, I too stepped out of a 2001 VW GTI VR6 and into a Mazda3 hatch. I miss the VR, but I don't miss the gremlins that put the car in the shop more than a few times. Reason for me was a baby, too. I thought for a little while about sticking it out until the 4-door GTI arrived, but then I saw how much more expensive the VW would be and also considered the likelihood that it would need more than its fair share of repairs. I'm about 8,500 miles into the Mazda and I'm still a very happy camper. A lot of car for the moolah.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
[quote author=BrandonC link=topic=70127.msg1223906#msg1223906 date=1172161139]
I'm picking it up around 2:30 today!! I can't wait. I'm very sad to see the GTI go, I really did love it. I've had too many problems with it to go with another VW though....window regulators, MAF, O2 sensor, heated mirrors, etc. My wife's Protege has been (knock on wood) super reliable, so Mazda gets the nod this time.

Definitely seems like there are a lot of VW owners defecting, I think that VW's quality problems on the "small things" (non-engine/transmission/powertrain related) is really hurting them.

[/quote]

Haha! Congratulations! I think the MS3 is putting the squeeze on quite a few marque's reputations. I love mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
466 Posts
my GTI was relativly gremlin free except for the CEL caused by the O2 sensor from the high flow cat and the air bag light that recently came on. my window regulators, MAF, or coil packs never failed me. did you guys trade in your V-Dubs? i managed to get $8500 for mine. after the deal was made and they were detailing the mazda the salesman and I drove the GTI to my house to get my checkbook and the buzzer sounded for low washer fluid. the salesman looked up at the dash and it was lit up like a christmas tree, he asked me about the CEL and i said "it musta just came on, it wasn't on earlier" WHOOPED 'EM AGAIN 'EH JOSIE!!! i love that clint eastwood movie for that line.

·
Registered
822 Posts
[quote author=KeepAustinWeird link=topic=70127.msg1225818#msg1225818 date=1172198341]
For what it's worth, I too stepped out of a 2001 VW GTI VR6 and into a Mazda3 hatch. I miss the VR, but I don't miss the gremlins that put the car in the shop more than a few times. Reason for me was a baby, too. I thought for a little while about sticking it out until the 4-door GTI arrived, but then I saw how much more expensive the VW would be and also considered the likelihood that it would need more than its fair share of repairs. I'm about 8,500 miles into the Mazda and I'm still a very happy camper. A lot of car for the moolah.
[/quote]
Another former VW owner here, I had a 95 GLX VR6 (Loved the engine). I drove it into the ground and had a lot of fun with it, but the repairs were a real downer. I do hope the Mazda is better in this respect. When I drove the new Jetta it felt porky compared to the Mazda (I haven't had the pleasure of driving the Mazdaspeed version yet, so I'm sure the difference would even be more glaring). I really think VW has lost it in the handling department, they just don't have the feel that the older models had. The 3 reminds me of one of my first rides and 83 VW GTI. The thing just put a smile on my face whenever I drove it :D

·
Registered
302 Posts

I had an 02 1.8T with GIAC, turboback, FMIC, and all the suspension goodies and big brake kits front and rear. I miss the initial torque surge my golf had @ 1500rpms but forget all about it when the tach swings passed 3500. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alrighty....the 24+ hour review....
Oh
Em
Gee
!!!!

Is all I have to say. I picked the car up at 2:00 on Friday. I LOVE IT. Drove it home from work, then took a trip (about 85 miles of highway and backroads) to my parents' house with my wife, son, dog and our bags. Everything fit nicely. I wish there was a little more backseat room, and a little more trunk-area space....but things fit okay. My wife's Protege has much more trunk space (until the seats get folded down), but I'm still happy.

Handling -- SOOOO much more precise than the GTI. The car leans INTO the turns, like it wants to go where I'm pointing it, rather than leaning out of the turns. Even with the nicely tuned suspension, the ride is still great on the highway and very good on back roads.

Power -- YOWZA. The first time I merged onto the highway in 4th gear, I actually had to say "WHOOOOOOO" out loud. There is so much more top-end pull than my GTI, which ran out of breath a little early because of the smaller turbo. Much faster than my modified GTI. 6th gear is nice for cruising at 70ish mph, but there is still enough oomph to pass without downshifting.

Headlights -- The HID's are fantastic, and with the regular halogen high beams added to them, backroad driving is no problem.

Interior -- love the dash, even though they borrowed the red and blue lighting scheme from VW. Stereo is nice, although I wish there was a midrange adjustment, it's a little lacking. Bass is pretty good, treble is a little harsh. Still getting used to it, we'll see how I like it in the next few weeks. As of right now, the Monsoon system in the GTI had better overall sound quality. The bass in the MS3 is obviously better with the subwoofer. Seats are VERY comfortable and supportive, my wife also likes them.

The 6-speed shifter is nice, short throws. A little notchy but I like it.

So yeah....this is a great car. I'm super happy with it. I'll have some pictures up when I get the chance, but due to the snowfall we had, there's quite a bit of mud and what-not on it.

We'll see how many people recognize it on the road....within 6 hours of having it, I had a riced out Neon hanging next to me on the highway trying to see how fast it was. BUT, with a wife, kid and dog in the car they didn't get anything out of me. Not that they stood a chance....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh yeah....the mods question.

As of right now, I don't see myself needing much more power (*gasp*!!!!). I think the first thing I will do is add an intake, just because the change in sound when I added the intake to my GTI was amazing. It really amplified the sound of the Diverter Valve, and the growling of the engine was much more noticeable. SO, I'll be doing some researching....won't be for a while though.

Suspension wise I'm very happy, don't see any changes happening there. Maybe some light tinting of the back windows?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts