Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey!

Picked up my black mica speed 3 GT on March 14th - needless to say, I'm having a blast so far - words can't really describe how much fun this thing is - mind you, I'm coming from 6 years of driving a 1995 saab 900 v6 in automatic, not a slouch, but not a dynamic driving experience by any means, so, the disparity b/t the two vehicles is mind boggling). The ONLY thing I'm missing is my custom sound system - the bose system is horrendous (mind you, I'm into hi-fi), but I didn't buy the car for the OEM sound system.

While I finally settled on the speed 3, I admit that I rather enjoyed driving the VW GTI, and I was still deciding between the two as of last Friday. I A/Bed the cars at the same dealership (VW/Mazda dealership) about four or five times before settling on the 3. Ultimately, the 3 was (1) more fun to drive (just a more engaging driving experience IMO - a bit of raucousness and edginess the GTI was lacking), (2) gave me more space with the back seats folded down than the GTI, and thus was a bit more practical in that regard (or, at least it seemed that way - I just realized I never actually measured). So, the big decision came down to (1) cosmic blue or (2) black mica (I had an impossible time deciding - I still like both - I still don't know if I made the right choice - I really never decided, but I was able to get the black totally fresh with 0 miles on it - the blue on the lot was nearing 200, so, I used that (likely) trivial difference in mileage to make up my mind).

Sooo, I just wanted to say THANKS to all the contributors to this forum for making so much useful/entertaining/helpful first-hand information available to me before I made my purchase - I have frequented this forum since early January! :D

And, I wanted to ask a question about the speed3 decal/tag/whatever on the hatch - I'm looking to get my hands on good MPS and Axela tags (I like em' better than the speed3 tag) - where should I get em (or, could somebody direct me to the proper posts to look at - I know I've seen the posts before, but I'm a "noob" after all, so some direction would be helpful!). Also, anyone know why Mazda went the "speed" route in the U.S. as opposed to the "MPS" route, like in Australia (don't know where else?). Insider knowledge would be nice, but speculation is acceptable too.

Attached...my headlights the night I picked her up...with a mazdaspeed logo superimposed (although I'd rather it say MPS :D)

-AA

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
P.S. To clarify (unnecessarily, probably), I realize all the info in this forum wasn't put here FOR me (my post sorta made it sound that way though)...I'm just trying to express how helpful this forum has been!!! So, thank yous all around...

·
Registered
543 Posts
Congrats on your purchase!! I'm waiting any day now for my Silver MS3 to be delivered... :( Anyways, you can get the "MPS" badge from a forum sponsor Streetunit.com, which is like $39. The "Axela" badge you can get at Corksport.com, don't know how much though...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks - congrats to you too! Patience is a virtue??? How long have you been waiting? I've yet to really unleash the thing - ton of rain yesterday and a healthy layer of ice today - and I'm about to head up north to central NY state in a couple of days for the next couple of months and they (we) just got about 5-10 inches of snow...so, I have some waiting to do myself (and some very careful driving to do).

And thanks for the info - yeah, 39 for the MPS badge at streetunit, and 25 for the Axela badge at corksport...a bit more than I expected.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I paid MSRP on the GT model (no extra options) - 24,550 (it was actually 24,570 due to a processing fee), and then tax and title...came out to just under 26...may I ask why you're curious?? (thinking of buying?)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, I'm considering the Speed3, Mazda3, Civic Si and the VW GTI. Did you get it from Russell Mazda? I'm curious because on their website, they have a Comic Blue Speed3 GT with a MSRP of $24,550 and an Internet Price of $23,550.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Of those four cars you listed, I drove the regular 3 (5 door), speed 3, and GTI (never had the opportunity to drive the SI...but ultimately I wanted a five door car anyway, so it wasn't a big deal. Obviously, the speed 3 is how I settled.

And no, I did not purchase from Russell Mazda (I haven't heard of that particular Mazda dealership actually - where are you from?). I think there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to strike a deal below MSRP though...I wasn't able to for numerous reasons, some of which i cannot know for sure...nonetheless, best of luck to you!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Russell Mazda/Subaru is located on Rt. 40 in Baltimore County (Catonsville or Elicott City). The Mazda Dealer closest to me Gaithersburg Mazda has at least 3 on the lot, but they all have Navigation. There's at least one other Mazdaspeed dealer near me Congressional Mazda.

I would trade my 2007 GT 5door in a minute if the Speed3 had a sunroof. :huh:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Congressional is the dealership closest to me...and that's where I bought...they had one red gt, one blue gt, and a black sport also on the lot when i got my black gt...none had nav...i paid msrp (although perhaps I shouldn't have).

Thanks geppetto for the heads up on Russell Mazda/Subaru - and geppetto - the sunroof is a deal breaker for you???

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
If anyone is interested, Brown's Fairfax on Lee Highway has an interesting selection of MS3's - sport and GT.

·
Registered
487 Posts
[quote author=shier link=topic=72184.msg1275318#msg1275318 date=1174269185]
Congressional is the dealership closest to me...and that's where I bought...they had one red gt, one blue gt, and a black sport also on the lot when i got my black gt...none had nav...i paid msrp (although perhaps I shouldn't have).

Thanks geppetto for the heads up on Russell Mazda/Subaru - and geppetto - the sunroof is a deal breaker for you???
[/quote]

shier: The lack of a sunroof bothers me most. I guess I've had cars (even our Minivan) with sunroofs for so long, that having a car
without a sunroof seems claustrophobic to me. However, there are a few other issues:

- high octane fuel requirement
- lack of the hatch storage system like the one found in the non-speed3 five door.

BUT, if a sunroof were available, I could easily overlook the other two "short comings". :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
shier: The lack of a sunroof bothers me most. I guess I've had cars (even our Minivan) with sunroofs for so long, that having a car
without a sunroof seems claustrophobic to me. However, there are a few other issues:
Geppetto - interesting...I've moved from a Saab 900 w/ sunroof to the speed 3 - I actually find the speed 3 to be less claustrophobic b/c, without the sunroof, there's more head room made available. But that's just one take on claustrophibia of course...I can understand if you're tied to the idea of a sunroof that you couldn't handle being without...and also, perhaps the Saab is just tighter up front to begin with.

Also...
lack of the hatch storage system like the one found in the non-speed3 five door.
I'm totally with you on the high octane fuel requirement - what do you mean though by the lack of a hatch storage system...do you mean, a place to stow away the cover piece, or did you mean something else???

·
Registered
487 Posts
[quote author=shier link=topic=72184.msg1276182#msg1276182 date=1174317967]
Geppetto - interesting...I've moved from a Saab 900 w/ sunroof to the speed 3 - I actually find the speed 3 to be less claustrophobic b/c, without the sunroof, there's more head room made available. But that's just one take on claustrophibia of course...I can understand if you're tied to the idea of a sunroof that you couldn't handle being without...and also, perhaps the Saab is just tighter up front to begin with.

Also...
lack of the hatch storage system like the one found in the non-speed3 five door.
I'm totally with you on the high octane fuel requirement - what do you mean though by the lack of a hatch storage system...do you mean, a place to stow away the cover piece, or did you mean something else???
[/quote]

I'm talking about this
. The non Mazdaspeed 3 model hatch has this storage system in the hatch above the spare. The photo does not show it but, behind the front storage tray, is second covered storage tray covered with a narrower flip-up pannel.

I suppose that it was a cost setting measure, but Mazda should have at least made the sunroof and storage tray an option. I would prefer both to navigation. :(

·
Registered
487 Posts
BTW, I don't mean to sound so negative about the Speed 3. I'd love to have one. I love the
understated, muscular look. The buldging hood, 18" wheels and rear spoiler. :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, that storage panel area is good stuff...wish I had that :(

So now I understand your grievance(s)...I suppose it was either a cost saving measure as you stated, or perhaps a weight saving measure - the speed 3 is somewhat on the heavy size as it is, but I don't really know for sure what kind of weight would be added by having a sunroof (and I'm sure the storage panel would have added negligible weight. Or perhaps they were just limiting the options since it was a limited production run model...I really don't know (there really are VERY few options available for the speed 3).

And no worries, I didn't think you were being too negative - just critical about the lack of options/amenities available! I'm loving my speed 3 for the most part - although where I am right now (central NY), the car is impotent (and even potentially dangerous) in the snow and ice (don't have a second set of wheels and snow tires yet). I hope Spring comes early this year!

·
Registered
487 Posts
[quote author=shier link=topic=72184.msg1277403#msg1277403 date=1174349642]
Yeah, that storage panel area is good stuff...wish I had that :(

So now I understand your grievance(s)...I suppose it was either a cost saving measure as you stated, or perhaps a weight saving measure - the speed 3 is somewhat on the heavy size as it is, but I don't really know for sure what kind of weight would be added by having a sunroof (and I'm sure the storage panel would have added negligible weight. Or perhaps they were just limiting the options since it was a limited production run model...I really don't know (there really are VERY few options available for the speed 3).

And no worries, I didn't think you were being too negative - just critical about the lack of options/amenities available! I'm loving my speed 3 for the most part - although where I am right now (central NY), the car is impotent (and even potentially dangerous) in the snow and ice (don't have a second set of wheels and snow tires yet). I hope Spring comes early this year!
[/quote]

Enjoy the ride! I'd be less than honest if I didn't say that I feel more than a little envious of speed 3 owners.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
welcome to the forums....and for all the maryland people here check out the DnB link in my sig if you're interested in a meet!
zoom3, thanks for the welcome - I'm a no go on a meet for a long while for sure - I'll be out of state until September.

And thanks gepetto - but I AM envious of your expanded cargo space and sunroof...!!! :D

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
[quote author=geppetto link=topic=72184.msg1277277#msg1277277 date=1174345751]
I love the understated, muscular look.
[/quote]

Ah, we're still talking cars here. Aren't we? :?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts