Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone seen this? wtf is this crap? nitrogen now? seriously?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yeah and I like how they show the gas flowing over the valves cleaning them...I mean it may clean the injectors but not the valves! Or maybe that was supposed to be nitrogen gas after combustion?

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
I tried it. I put 93 octane of this stuff to see what happened and HOLY SPEED BATMAN MOBILE! jk...no i haven't tried it yet but i think its marketing also.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[quote author=cali_axela link=topic=138701.msg2989439#msg2989439 date=1236833272]
I wish we got ANY 93 oct here in Cali... even our 91 sucks with all the ethanol content.
[/quote]

complain to your hippie state government. your emission laws are fascist.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
It is probably ethyl hexyl nitrate (or something similar). This is well proven as a catalyst and/or cetane booster in diesel fuel and additives. I have used it in "normal" spark ignition gasoline engines and years ago in my own freakball proto-HCCI experimental morphodite with good results. In large doses I suspect it would cause detonation but in reasonable quantities C8H17NO3 is much less likely to cause problems than nitromethane or hydrazine, neither of which I can recommend messing with.

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
dam, so who wants to volunteer to translate that in english :lol:

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
[quote author=08mazda2.0 link=topic=138701.msg2990790#msg2990790 date=1236894449]
dam, so who wants to volunteer to translate that in english :lol:
[/quote]

I'll take a stab at it:

Shell isn't doing anything new, strange or exotic. Their nitrogen additive is probably something that has been in common use for years, though maybe not in pump gasoline. It is unlikely Shell is adding stuff that will break your engine or make gasoline significantly more toxic than it already is.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Or maybe not. Shell is selling it as a better detergent package rather than a combustion catalyst. I don't know if ethyl nitrate is much use for this so it could be something else entirely.

I'm not gonna do any taste tests to figure out what the stuff is.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
From Chevron: http://www.chevron.com/products/ourfuels/mrgas/?&aID=2141&cID=34

"The recent referencing to nitrogen enrichment in motor gasoline has to do with the deposit control additive that is required by federal law to be used in the gasoline. All commercial deposit control additives, which help control deposits in injectors or carburetors and on intake valves and intake ports, contain nitrogen. Nitrogen enrichment is nothing new. But, nitrogen alone does not provide the engine keep-clean and cleanup necessary to help with good performance, maintaining fuel economy, and keeping emissions low. The basic polymer in the deposit control molecule also plays an important role. The molecular structure of polymer also can affect the amount of combustion chamber deposits that form and possibly affect intake valve sticking. Some deposit control additives contain several components to optimize performance. The concentration of the deposit control additive in the gasoline is another critical factor. So, just promoting nitrogen enrichment doesn’t provide a meaningful assessment of a deposit control additives’ performance."

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
My guess is this is just a response to BP's latest "Invigorate" fuel detergents...Shell has generally been regarded as having good-quality gasoline and detergents, and this is probably just a tweak to that formulation that they're taking advantage of for marketing reasons.

·
Registered
28 Posts
[quote author=cali_axela link=topic=138701.msg2989439#msg2989439 date=1236833272]
I wish we got ANY 93 oct here in Cali... even our 91 sucks with all the ethanol content.
[/quote]

93's not that hard to find here in Sac... I put 87 in my MZ3 and 89 in my bike (BMW oilhead) so I don't pay too much attention, but it's definitely around.

I figure I don't need nitrogen-enriched fuel. I run my car only on nitrogen-enriched air ;-)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I got manual 2005 Mazda 3 Sport GT ... in the owners' manual it recomends 87 octane but the other day I put that nitrogen 91 octane Shell V-power to test it, and the car runs smooth and feels like it has more power when i accelerate hard. If i keep using this fuel - will it damage the engine in some way on the long run ?

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
[quote author=gerenahood link=topic=138701.msg3337683#msg3337683 date=1253736416]
I got manual 2005 Mazda 3 Sport GT ... in the owners' manual it recomends 87 octane but the other day I put that nitrogen 91 octane Shell V-power to test it, and the car runs smooth and feels like it has more power when i accelerate hard. If i keep using this fuel - will it damage the engine in some way on the long run ?
[/quote]

91 octane is a waste of money. Your car was designed to run on 87, and while 91 will not harm your motor, it will not provide any benefits either. check out this for some fuel education: http://www.chevron.com/products/ourfuels/mrgas/browsetopics.aspx

·
Registered
9 Posts
[quote author=saeufer82 link=topic=138701.msg2998985#msg2998985 date=1237266623]
[/quote]

93's not that hard to find here in Sac... I put 87 in my MZ3 and 89 in my bike (BMW oilhead) so I don't pay too much attention, but it's definitely around.

I figure I don't need nitrogen-enriched fuel. I run my car only on nitrogen-enriched air ;-)
[/quote]Where in Sac. is this 93 oct gas... :eekno: I won't put it in my car. I'm just curious. I thought 91 oct was the max oct we could get here.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts