Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got new rears put on my car...pads only. I drove home and they were fine. After driving maybe 30 miles I noticed them squealing while driving. And it's not all the time, just intermittently. It's also usually not a constant SQUEEEEEEE, more like a SQUE.....SQUE...SQUEE..SQUEE...

Anyone have any suggestions as to what the issue might be? My mechanic says they're installed fine and nothing looks out of the ordinary.

· Premium Member
6,374 Posts
So I got new rears put on my car...pads only. I drove home and they were fine. After driving maybe 30 miles I noticed them squealing while driving. And it's not all the time, just intermittently. It's also usually not a constant SQUEEEEEEE, more like a SQUE.....SQUE...SQUEE..SQUEE...

Anyone have any suggestions as to what the issue might be? My mechanic says they're installed fine and nothing looks out of the ordinary.
Old rotors? Might need to get them resurfaced to avoid screwing up your new pads... They likely are 'warped' or just uneven in general for whatever reason. If its not too bad, you could try braking bedding your brakes (like go med-high speed and brake hard (don't lock up though), coast at low speed, repeat x2. If the difference is minor, I imagine that should do the trick otherwise I'd go back and get the rotors resurfaced if possible.

Still though, I'm a bit surprised its squeaking. That tells me the guy installing them didn't put something on the back of them to prevent noise...

Other possibility (remote though) is that you picked up a rock between your heat shield behind your rotor and the rotor. You might want to try diagnosing it a bit more - one or both sides, for example.

· Registered
721 Posts
I second both of the above.

But FWIW I've seen the squeek-squeek thing happen from ever-so-slightly warped rotors + pads that squeal for whatever reason and sometimes it is from brake hardware touching the rotor... I don't think our MZ3s have the hardware shims that go between the "ears" of the pad and the caliper bracket, so that might not be the case.

Question: Do the rear wheels(near the center) get really hot after a normal drive? Better yet jack up your car and see if you can freely spin your rear wheels. Make sure whoever replaced the pads turned the pistons in all the way... I've seen some idiots put the new pads on and just force/hammer the caliper over the pads and rotor because they didn't twist the rear pistons in all the way :shocked: I've experienced on some vehicles that some aftermarket pads are fat as hell compared to OEM and as a result even with pistons turned all the way in, you need to use force to reinstall the caliper... which results in dragging pads overheating the rotors. Had this happen to a newer Town and Country(same idiotic twisty piston type rear calipers like our cars)... rear rotors were getting to 700F :shocked: They were Duralast pads. Pistons moved freely, but the pads were too fat to fit without dragging badly.

· Registered
1,574 Posts
Old rotors? Might need to get them resurfaced to avoid screwing up your new pads... They likely are 'warped' or just uneven in general for whatever reason.
something similar happened to my car the last time i did my brakes, my pads were fine but the rotors were warped and rubbed the thicker, newer pads. now i just make sure to replace them both at the same time

· Registered
368 Posts
Often times when keeping old rotors with an existing layer of pad materials and switching to a different pad compound you will hear squealing. 'Usually' the squealing can be heard until the old compound has been removed and the new compound is transferred to the rotors. There are bed in procedures specifically for switching pad compounds, which should be followed prior to bedding in the new brakes. Generally speaking, this is specific to abrassive pad materials. That said, some pads squeal no matter what.

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the notes all. My mechanic thinks it's rotors also..so maybe that's the trick. I have driven over 200 miles on them and they're still doing it off and on...I'm going to be bringing the car to him tomorrow to diagnose.

· Registered
123 Posts
This happened to me when i got the wrong brake pads. Do yours have the butterfly metal tabs or does the inner pad have a series of springs on it. There were 2 sets of pads for the 05 year, i have the later style without the butterfly metal tabs. When i was given the ones with the tabs they rattled and made all kinds of noise and didnt get better with use, so i got the other style and all has been good for a year.
Do not resurface the solid rotors, they are too thin to start with and will warp, if they are out of spec then just get new ones, and try beck arnley at least they arent made in china cause those will warp brand new. This is from experience on many cars.

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
This happened to me when i got the wrong brake pads. Do yours have the butterfly metal tabs or does the inner pad have a series of springs on it. There were 2 sets of pads for the 05 year, i have the later style without the butterfly metal tabs. When i was given the ones with the tabs they rattled and made all kinds of noise and didnt get better with use, so i got the other style and all has been good for a year.
Do not resurface the solid rotors, they are too thin to start with and will warp, if they are out of spec then just get new ones, and try beck arnley at least they arent made in china cause those will warp brand new. This is from experience on many cars.
I actually had this problem too! I ordered these: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=3803520&cc=1431027 and they were horrible and squealed constantly, my mechanic replaced them with these: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=2140314&cc=1431027 And he said they fit on better and they werent making any noise for about a day or so..

I also noticed today that when i start driving they dont make noise..its only after moving for a bit...a lot of times it's when i hit a bump or something they start up...I think.

So confused :huh:

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Old rotors? Might need to get them resurfaced to avoid screwing up your new pads... They likely are 'warped' or just uneven in general for whatever reason. If its not too bad, you could try braking bedding your brakes (like go med-high speed and brake hard (don't lock up though), coast at low speed, repeat x2. If the difference is minor, I imagine that should do the trick otherwise I'd go back and get the rotors resurfaced if possible.

Still though, I'm a bit surprised its squeaking. That tells me the guy installing them didn't put something on the back of them to prevent noise...

Other possibility (remote though) is that you picked up a rock between your heat shield behind your rotor and the rotor. You might want to try diagnosing it a bit more - one or both sides, for example.
What do you mean put someting on them to prevent squeaking?

· Premium Member
6,374 Posts
What do you mean put someting on them to prevent squeaking?
Anti-squeal compound on the back of the pads. Won't make your problem go away, but should prevent squeaking. Every brake pad I've ever bought came with some, because it is a simple fix to prevent noisy brakes and the brake manufacturers don't want people giving their brakes bad reviews cus of squeaking when they can just give them a $0.05 bit of lubricant to eliminate any possibility of the problem.

· Registered
205 Posts
This might be an out dated post. Hopefully this will help someone. was goggling for a different squeak and found this tread.

If they are new pads, yes use them for a couple weeks to a month and the squeak should go away. If you don't want to wait that long, you need to or have someone else remove the pads and sand and round out the corners of the pads. Best way would be with a circular sander on an air gun. Wear glasses!

The reasoning is that either the pads are not making 100% contact and just have to be warn down a little by using them

OR

The pad material is burning off and getting stuck further down the pad. By sanding and rounding the corners this allows that brake dust to escape easier.

If you put high quality pads like Hawk or Monroe you can see they are sanded down, but if you look at something like Wagner OE pads they have sharp edges.

Good Luck

· Premium Member
6,374 Posts
If you put high quality pads like Hawk or Monroe you can see they are sanded down, but if you look at something like Wagner OE pads they have sharp edges.

Good Luck
I've never seen/bought pads that weren't chamfered, but yeah, I suppose if you got cheap crappy ones that could be an issue and would be an easy fix.

· Registered
41 Posts
have you done the proper brake pad bedding procedure?
hard braking from 30mph, 40, 50, 60 to about 5mph until your brakes are smoking from the heat...
after that, park on a level ground and do not put on the handbrake or wash your wheels or driving through puddles of water, lol...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.