Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I want to repaint my bumper. I will be continuing with the 22v sunlight silver code and I know how to do most everything. I just have a few questions..
1: should I thin the paint first? And if so, what ratio.
2: where can you buy this paint by the gallon? I will be using my dads paint gun and compressor

Thanks for all who help.

· Registered
390 Posts
Is there a NAPA auto down in TX? They carry the sunlight silver for a great price too.

· Registered
390 Posts
It's just a basic automotive store like advanced auto etc. Except they carry paint and specific car parts/equipment.

· Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's just a basic automotive store like advanced auto etc. Except they carry paint and specific car parts/equipment.
actually found one online that is 4 miles from my house! thanks for the tip and ill definitely be doing that. Does anyone know how much paint i would need to just do the front bumper of my 04 hatch?

· Registered
390 Posts
No problem! and since you're using a gun, I'd say a quart would be plenty. Not sure on the thinning ratio though.

· Registered
1,138 Posts
Every paint has its own instructions on reducing. What I use is 1:1 but that might differ depending on the manufacturer. I have always been able to spray a bumper with approximately 12oz. of sprayable paint. So 6 oz paint/6 oz reducer. You will probably want at least that much clear coat as well if not more if you plan on sanding and buffing any trash or peel you have.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4

· Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help guys! One last question.. If im redoing the same color, am I correct when I say I only have to sand the clearcoat off and repaint? And I will buy a bit more than a quart because I want to practice first due to the fact I don't want my car to look like a zebra

· Registered
1,138 Posts
You do not have to sand the clearcoat OFF, you just have to sand it so it is no longer glossy. Then basecoat, followed by clearcoat.

Also, forgot to mention this but the clearcoat will require a hardener, then depending on the mix ratio may or may not require reducer.

· Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You do not have to sand the clearcoat OFF, you just have to sand it so it is no longer glossy. Then basecoat, followed by clearcoat.

Also, forgot to mention this but the clearcoat will require a hardener, then depending on the mix ratio may or may not require reducer.

oh okay. Thanks for the help. Ill talk to the guy at the store to see if he can help me out with the whole ratio part of all of this.

· Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
now i am second guessing. I dont know if i want to redo the whole bumper, or if i should do small touch ups. I dont want the bumper to come out looking bad, and im not sure if i have the right facilities to do the project myself. Would it be stupid to pay a professional to do it?? I mean I wanted everything on my car to be all me, but this is a big deal to me. Some one help me out here.

· Registered
14,062 Posts
If you've never painted before, hell no don't do it yourself!

There's a difference between turning a wrench, and knowing the specifics of paint, one a cave man can do, another you actually have to be in the business to fully understand.

I've seen people with cans of spray paint screw crap up, I'm not the best, but even with my limited skill I would NEVER trust myself to paint a car.

Paint isn't something anyone can just go out and do, and without a proper facility, you'll probably do it out in the open, and get to watch moisture bubbles open up and pop like wildfire across your bumper within a year, and that means you'd have to sand it all down again and start from scratch.

There's a difference between doing everything yourself, and doing what you can based on your skill level.

I don't know ANYONE that does everything they want because they "can"
No wait.. I do.. ricers, and their spray paint paint jobs.

Go to a professional; there's nothing wrong with that.
If you don't do it for a living, don't attempt it.

Painting is barely a simple procedure.

You can probably help prep the part by sanding it etc. which will lower the cost some I'm sure, but don't try to paint it yourself if you have no clue what you're doing.

· Registered
390 Posts
^ +1

Paint isn't as easy as it seems. Sand the clear coat so that it is rough and take it to a body shop to get painted.

Out of curiosity.. Didn't you say you were using your dads HPLV gun? That must mean he has some sort of experience with paint. Why not talk to him about it?

· Registered
1,138 Posts
You can make paint turn out really nice outside. But, you really have to know what you are doing for that to happen. Any doubts just bring it in, you will be much happier that way. Plus if it were me, I would charge much more to fix bad paint than factory paint. Many more issues arise with poor previous repairs.

· Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You can buy an HVLP gun at Harbor Freight.

Doesn't make anyone good.. lol
Points for Nuse over here guys. He actually bought the gun at Harbor Freight to do a few small sections of something in our old house 7 years ago and its still laying around. Ive plasti dipped a few things and would considered me to have more skill than him haha.

· Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you've never painted before, hell no don't do it yourself!

There's a difference between turning a wrench, and knowing the specifics of paint, one a cave man can do, another you actually have to be in the business to fully understand.

I've seen people with cans of spray paint screw crap up, I'm not the best, but even with my limited skill I would NEVER trust myself to paint a car.

Paint isn't something anyone can just go out and do, and without a proper facility, you'll probably do it out in the open, and get to watch moisture bubbles open up and pop like wildfire across your bumper within a year, and that means you'd have to sand it all down again and start from scratch.

There's a difference between doing everything yourself, and doing what you can based on your skill level.

I don't know ANYONE that does everything they want because they "can"
No wait.. I do.. ricers, and their spray paint paint jobs.

Go to a professional; there's nothing wrong with that.
If you don't do it for a living, don't attempt it.

Painting is barely a simple procedure.

You can probably help prep the part by sanding it etc. which will lower the cost some I'm sure, but don't try to paint it yourself if you have no clue what you're doing.
Do you know of a good shop that you would trust to do this?

· Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ahhh. i wish i did too. Besides the bumper, there are a few places that could use some touch ups and i want them done by someone good. I also have the idea that sunlight silver may not be my original color..? ive found a few websites that do touch up paint and they dont list 22v as a 2004 color code. Also, there is a date written in sharpie inside of my door frame next to a barcode with "22v sunlight silver" typed on it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.