Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed new Duralast pads from Autozone, pads on the backs of my Mazda 3s about 300 miles ago. Everything went well brakes felt normal.

I then flushed the fluid after reading online. I did the two person bleed with one person holding the pedal while the other loosens the bleeder screw, then titghtens it when it hits the floor.

I don't think the master cylinder ever went dry as I kept a pretty close eye on it...However I could be wrong here... When I try and stop the car the pedal seems to bottom out quicker than before, however I might be imagining this as well.. When I stop the car hard from about 30 the front tires lock at about 15 mph. The backs never lock. When I pump the pedal it does get firmer.

So I am wondering did I damage the master cylinder by letting it bottom out to the floor? (I forgot the block of wood under the pedal).
Or, do you think I still have air in the lines?

Thanks for your help in advance!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As another side note this car does NOT have ABS brakes. SO am I correct at thinking a regular two man bleed should work?

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's possible, though not very probable that you damaged the master cylinder. Damage like that is usually seen on master cylinders with 100,000 miles and over when a lip is formed from normal piston travel. Once the piston goes over that lip during a brake bleed it can tear the seal. What seems more likely is the bleed was completed improperly. I would revisit your brake bleed or maybe go so far as to get a vacuum bleeder. I use a pressure bleeder and have found that to work marvelously. It's what we use on all the Porsches and Audis with great results. Keep it at just about 1 bar of pressure and nothing will blow apart. Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am in the USA. One of the complaints with the 2005 Mazda 3 was the ABS option was only available in the Safety and Security Package, and not many cars had that package cause of the cost. :(

Thanks for the update on the master cylinder. I was thinking I didn't damage it however I wasn't sure. I will continue to bleed and hope the pedal gets firmer.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I would just recommend to bleed your brakes again, maybe even two times. an important part to bleeding is to ALWAYS make sure that your fluid never drops below the 'minimum' mark on your reservoir. if you do, that can introduce air into your system and give you a mushy pedal.

here are a few tips to determine if your brake master cylinder is gone:

when braking, do a double pump. does the brake pedal feel stiffer/normal on the second pump? if so, bad MC
another check is when you are stopped at a light, have your foot on the brake pedal w/ constant pressure. if the pedal feels like it is dropping to the floor, again bad MC.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
ABS was not standard in the early model years of the Mazda 3. I have a 2004 and don't have ABS because I didn't pay up for the package. Is that so hard for some of you to comprehend?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts