Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the Mazda dealer today and they said that they will NO LONGER be carrying the previous designed oil filter and that all Mazda dealers are switching to the Motorcraft version.

The filter on the LEFT is the Motorcraft version and the one on the RIGHT is the old style. As you can see, the OLD STYLE (right) has more pleats and is actually stronger and more rigid than the one on the left (Motorcraft).

Also, the Motorcraft version has the stupid plastic thing in the middle. It slides around and supposedly makes noises when the car is running.

WHY is Mazda changing the filters? I will try and stock-up on the OLDER versions as they clearly better.

Old part # L321-14-302 - 9U - Filters made in Great Britain
New part# ZZ CA 23-802 - Outsourced by Motorcraft to Purolator - Made in USA

·
Registered
398 Posts
Hmmm. Mazda's cutting costs.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Theres nothing wrong with the motorcraft filter. They are high quality filters. The plastic piece in the middle helps to keep it from collapsing. And it does not make noise...where did you hear that?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[quote author=stranger706 link=topic=138622.msg2988058#msg2988058 date=1236799865]
Theres nothing wrong with the motorcraft filter. They are high quality filters. The plastic piece in the middle helps to keep it from collapsing. And it does not make noise...where did you hear that?
[/quote]

I read it on other forums and did a GOOGLE search. Some have reported that the plastic piece will move up and down as oil is pumping through it, causing it to tap. The Motorcraft is a LESSER QUALITY than the original. If you take both filters, side-by-side, you can feel that the old style is heavier, stronger and better built. It even has more pleats than the Motorcraft. The Motocraft feels flimsy.

I believe they switched to save money. Everyone is cutting corners to save money. Motorcraft outsources to Purolator. I am NOT a big fan or Purolator oil filters, air filters are OK, but not oil.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
time to do a spin on conversion ?? :)

·
Registered
804 Posts
I would think the plastic would eliminate crushing issues some owners reported "back in the day". And keep in mind that because it has less pleats than the old one doesn't necessarily mean that it has lower filtering capabilities, the new one **could** have just the same, if not more, filtering surface area as the old one (I doubt it though).

I also second cjre1's suggestion and get the filter somewhere else. These filters were a pain in the ass to find when new, but now they are made by multiple manufacturers with just as good of quality. I also agree with lucas on converting to the spin on if any of the other cartridge filters don't tickle your fancy :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts