Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I am new to the whole "racing/turbo" part of modding. I have done plenty of work on my jeep including lift, intake, throttle body and other engine mods....but all this talk about the BOV and such is confusing me. I will be getting my annual bonus in a month or so and would like to do some mods to my new ms3. Things I am looking for include.....that cool sound turbos make (you know that kinda hissing sound) is that what a BOV does??? And of course more horses.....I asume the easiest and cheapest is an cold air intake.....now what of these are covered?? and do you have to buy mazdaspeed parts for these?? if so, where do you get them and can you install them yourself??
thanks for the help from a newbie

·
Registered
256 Posts
The turbo "sounds" are either the turbo spooling, external wastegate dumping to atmosphere, or the blow off valve letting off air.

Since we have internal wastegates, you will only be able to hear 2 of them.

To hear the turbo spool more, you'd buy an aftermarket intake or filter. A bov that is not plastic (like our stock one) will help with the blow off noise, even recirculated back into the intake will make some noise.

Anything not stock that causes a problem will void the warranty. You can buy a Mazdaspeed intake for the MS3 soon but its not available yet.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool thanks for the reply.....so if I get mazdaspeed parts will that void the warranty if something goes wrong?? also, what are the chances of a bov or a cai causing problems???
thanks

·
Registered
256 Posts
BOV is very slim that it would cause problems if it was routed back into the intake tract...however Mazda techs can really make a good story and link a problem to the bov if determined enough.

CAI from Mazdaspeed would be best installed by the dealer to fully ensure no problems with warranty. I can install it myself no problem, but I'd rather have any issues not be on my head but rather on the dealership should any arise.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
any links to preferred sites for getting parts??? I have seen a few but prices seem to be all over the board

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
you can start with our forum sponsor www.streetunit.com I bought from them and the service was great.
another site sponsor is www.mazda3online.com another site ive bought from with great service.
there are a few bov options available, but as for the other parts, most are still being developed or being released in the next month or two. There still arent a ton of ms3 specific parts available yet.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
get a book on turbos too so you can understand it more. Check out Maximum Boost by Corky Bell. It will give you a pretty good understanding of everyting and its mostly in laymans terms.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
The CPE Cold Air Intake will be available within a week or two from Street Unit. I plan to install one of the first ones, as well as a BOV. I will post up a report.

Street Unit also has a motor mount out shortly, as well. Keeps the engine from rocking. Even just revving the motor at idle you can see it moving. I so cannot wait to install it.

Also, SU's TMIC will give you more power as well.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok so reading some of the info on websites about what the product actually does is starting to confuse me know....I don't understand much of the "lingo" as I am knew to the whole turbo/racing aspect of modding vehicles...is there a place on here that explains all that and I am just not looking in the right place, or can someone help with that?

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
That is the beauty of this forum. If you don't understand something, feel free to ask. My suggestion is to see if it was posted before. If you don't find it, start a thread asking for information on the thing or things you don't understand. Someone is bound to answer your question, or point you to the thread or threads already posted to answer your question,.

What all do you need help with understanding?

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
I may be wrong but I think it is pretty important to get a BOV that recirculates. I've noticed that the ECU is quick to set off a CEL and getting a BOV that vents completely to the atmosphere would probably not only make your car not run well but would almost definately set off the CEL. You may not get as loud off a WHOOSH that your looking for but your car will run a butt load better with a BOV that recirculates.

·
Registered
256 Posts
[quote author=speed3wannabe link=topic=66567.msg1149853#msg1149853 date=1168830893]
I may be wrong but I think it is pretty important to get a BOV that recirculates. I've noticed that the ECU is quick to set off a CEL and getting a BOV that vents completely to the atmosphere would probably not only make your car not run well but would almost definately set off the CEL. You may not get as loud off a WHOOSH that your looking for but your car will run a butt load better with a BOV that recirculates.
[/quote]

Yes you're right that it's important to get a BOV that recirc.

Cars with MAF setups usually (if not always) run better with the BOV recirc. due to the fact that when you vent, you're messing up the airflow readings but dumping metered air. This causes the car to run overly rich between shifts and can lead to poor gas mileage and in some cases stalling out. If the BOV doesnt have a tight enough spring or have a push pull type system like an HKS, more often than not they die out.

To avoid this, the "REAL" way to vent is to get an EMS, MAF translator of some sort, or run Vein Pressure Control/Map.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts