Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, last weekend I traded in my 2003 350z for 2007 MazdaSpeed 3 :D Its True Red (hence the screenname) and I'm still breaking it in so I haven't been able to see what it is capable of yet. I've talked to a few guys on my350z forum and they recommend to get a FMIC to gain some power and the Mazdaspeed CAI and exhaust. They read somewhere that with the exhaust and intake, it can gain up to 30Hp? Seems high to me but I'm used to NA gains when I had my Z. Do any of you have these parts on your MS3 or know what the gains are?

One other thing I noticed was a large drop off in power on a dyno graph after 6K rpms, can this be adjusted with a tune? Guess its best to shift right at 6K RPM's huh?

I was also looking at the HKS BOV, any other ones you would recommend? I"m new to the Mazda scene so please let me know if there are any other parts that I need to look at . Thanks!

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
unless you must have guranteed warranty, dont get mazdaspeed stuff, its sooooo damn expensive. CPE has a cai out right now and currently only autoexe has an exhaust available. A bunch of companies are making stuff, but not too much is available yet.
there are tons of posts regarding your questions in this sub forum, stick around a bit and read up on a few of em. make sure to read the AMS thread, the TurboXS thread, Cobb threads and the BEGi thread since those are the main players making parts at the moment.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
mazda claims 35 whp from the cai/exhaust combo, but the parts won't be available for a couple of weeks and they cost an arm and both legs 800 for the cai and 1500 for the exhaust. CPE just released their CAI, I think it cost around 300 and they claim 16hp and 20ft/lb gains. xede has an interceptor available for tuning, and it will be able to get you more power at the top end. The ecu cuts boost at high rpm for safety reasons, the xede gives you total control of boost, timing and fuel for 1k. It is definately best to shift at around 5500 rpms before hp and torque drop dramatically. Hks is the most popular bov but others are available. Check out the threads in this forum and our sponsers websites for more info.

·
Registered
355 Posts
congrats on the purchase, i am still waiting for mine to be delivered!! As far as your questions, here is what I have learned from this forum. first of all, if your going to buy a CAI, check out the thread for the CP-e CAI , it will save you $470 and it will perform better than the mazdaspeed intake. The MS intake is ridiculously over priced. Also, the CBE is not necessary. If anything with the exhaust, replace the downpipe and get a high-flow cat if your going to run it with a cat. The HKS BOV is a good idea to replace the plastic BPV, but i recommend you run it in recirc. as alot of others will recommend as well. If you are after that sweet PPSSSHHHH!!! noise, the CAI and recirc. will give it to you, rather than running the BOV in VTA mode. as for the engine tuning, XEDE has a "interceptor/piggyback" program which is putting up some big hp and torque numbers. I dont know what they are off the top of myhead, but check around the forum and you will find the numbers. COBB is coming out with the Accessport for the speed3 shortly, just not sure when. FMIC is not necessary until you plan to do some serious mods. like turbo upgrade and more.

I hope this helps, and if it doesnt, there is a thread going for everything I just told you so check it out!! good luck with it!

by the way...with the tune from XEDE, i think it was putting 300whp, and 320 lb/ft of torque but dont quote me, i havent read it in about a day, lol... the thread wil show you a dyno though, so check it out.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the great info guys. The MS parts do sound a bit pricey, $800 for any CAI is ridiculous. I'll have to read up on the BOV's, I didn't know I would have to run in "recirc." mode. I appreciate all the input :D

2007 MazdaSpeed 3- True Red

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
all of the testing by diff. tuning and performance companies seem to say that the cat back is pretty useless, until you go on with further mods. the cai will help and a downpipe will do wonders, but i would not get a cat back until some sort of tuning is on the car. it just wont do anything for you .

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
isn;t opening the exhaust on a turbo car the first thing you do along with better air into the motor? the less backflow the better is the moto for turbo cars isn't it? I am no turbo expert, yet, but I thought this was the case....someone clarify or correct.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
depends on what you want to do...smaller exhaust than intake = more torque... smaller intake than exhaust = more HP...ofcourse to an extent and with balance...i plan on going 3" intake, 3" downpipe and ill probably keep the factory intake...assumeing i can find a shop that will mate that dp to the exhaust.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
exhaust upgrades TYPICALLY have good gains, but the factory cat-back has been deemed very good for stock. i know AMS completely removed the cat-back and had basically no gain what so ever. the stock down pipe however is very restrictive...2 cats and 3 resonators !! open that up and HP/TQ and spool up will improve. a cat-back will help down the road when there is more boost but for now i would say save it for last .

·
Registered
9,483 Posts
CAI only for me
There is already enough noise and with AMS (as sted above) showing its ok CBE/TBE is out for now

·
Registered
283 Posts
[quote author=TRU-BOOST link=topic=67344.msg1160879#msg1160879 date=1169405468]
. i know AMS completely removed the cat-back and had basically no gain what so ever. the stock down pipe however is very restrictive...2 cats and 3 resonators !! open that up and HP/TQ and spool up will improve. a cat-back will help down the road when there is more boost but for now i would say save it for last .
[/quote]

The main reason for almost no hp gain w/removal of the Exhaust is because the car is running so rich from the factory. Removing the exhaust without leaning out the fuel trims, will just make the car sound faster.. but not do much.
I do believe he removed the exhaust closer to the turbo too.

Untill any tuning is done or even just adding CAI at the same time as exhaust, (sense that should lean it out a bit) not too many gains are expected from just exhaust. One thing to remember in the FI world is you can have as many bolt ons as you like but without a good tune, you won't see it's true power.

Another thing to remember after making the car breath better is the tiny turbo on a big 4 cylinder=crazyfast spool 8) Which fastspool on FWD makes mega wheelspin. Can't wait to see someone put a 50trim series turbo on one of these MZR's...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts