Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced my OEM RS-A's after 10k. Fronts were down to about 5/32" rears 7/32". Did not want to deal with them anymore.

Special ordered these Michelins from Costco for $700USD OTD. These are "Ultra high performance summer" treads. Didn't want or need all-seasons due to Arizona weather conditions.

Initial impressions after 500 miles:

Dry
Initial turn-in seems comparable to the RS-A's. Sidewall feels about as stiff if not slightly greater. Have not pushed them too hard yet but they seem to resist "pushing out" or inducing understeer during accelerating out of a corner/right hand turn in 2nd gear.

Wet
Wet traction is impressive. Generous throttle application from a stop in wet weather usually meant a gross ammount of wheel spin with the RS-A's. This is not the case with these tires. They provide a great deal of confidence but I have yet to drive in a serious enough storm to judge hydroplane resistance.

Comfort/Noise
The tire is an asymetric design like the RS-A, however the road noise is much less. Nice and hushed during freeway crusing (80+ mph). Tire construction is solid and does transmit much road irregularity to the driver, which is a good thing, but perhaps a bit much more so than the RS-A probally due to stiffer sidewalls.

Overal I am pleased and hope to get 20-25k miles out of these tires with regular rotation at 3k. Only downside I can find is purely asthetic: that the sidewall styling is not as nice as the RS-A.

Pictures

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
yawn...boring tires...should have got 215/45/17 too.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
They arn't boring, they perform well and I'd take Exaltos over Kumhos or Falkens.

If cost were no object, I'd either get the Goodyear Eagle F1s, Yok. Advans, contentalsport3s, or Exaltos.

·
Registered
26,629 Posts
[quote author=HouRman link=topic=65481.msg1121957#msg1121957 date=1167237273]
They arn't boring, they perform well and I'd take Exaltos over Kumhos or Falkens.

If cost were no object, I'd either get the Goodyear Eagle F1s, Yok. Advans, contentalsport3s, or Exaltos.
[/quote]

+1

1 - 4 of 4 Posts