Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After being baited by the service manager when my car was in for warranty repair (Motor mount failure). I found myself weighing the completely unplanned decision to let my Mz 3 hatch which was completely set up, go. A week later found myself at Galpin Mazda in Van Nuys. My local dealer only had a silver gt with nav and not much prospect of seeing what I want come in. Salesman was pretty clear on that, so mazda.com net search showed the various dealer inventories and a slow/off day at work wound me up at Galpin.

Had a look through the inventory and wound up taking a Black sport trim MS 3 home. Left my flawless 3 at the dealer. They gave me about average book trade in value on it. I DID remove the rims and put the stockers back on. If anyone wants a really nice 06 MZ3 black hatch. Go there. If they take off the CAI and put on the stock intake, ask for the CAI. Car was flawlessly taken care of. Be nice to see it go to an enthusiast. Throw on rims and it is ready to autox. I never did race it after setting the car up. Work has been to busy. All the miles are FWY to Nor Cal.

My new MS 3 is sitting in the driveway. It is a completely different bird than the MZ 3. In a good way. So far it feels like it needs NONE of the mods I felt compelled to do to my 06 to make it an acceptable daily driver. Price was sticker. They had around 10 in inventory in all trim levels.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Cool. Kind of whats happened to me. I did the same thing and came home with the same car, except in a GT. Seems these are rather attractive once you drive them. Good work!

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[quote author=mndsm link=topic=68447.msg1183104#msg1183104 date=1170441961]
Cool. Kind of whats happened to me. I did the same thing and came home with the same car, except in a GT. Seems these are rather attractive once you drive them. Good work!
[/quote]

Thanks man. You too! I was one step away from the GT. No regrets today though. Good sign. Did a little pre dawn break in drive this morning. 100 miles now! Lol Just pulled the side moulding off. Tint Monday and the wheels I have sitting here after that. RSL's. They weigh about 8 pounds less than stock with tires on em. Curious to see if one can feel the difference particularly. :klavergreg:

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Well, you'll find out soon enough....

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[quote author=MS3_Mafia link=topic=68447.msg1184397#msg1184397 date=1170495821]
Post pics of your new set-up when u get a chance!
[/quote]

I'll shoot it Monday when it is tinted and the wheels are on and it has had it's first wax job.

·
Registered
15,112 Posts
Seems everyone is jumping on the speed3 bandwagon. It makes me want to do it more and more, but I just don't think I can afford to at this point in time.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine got it's first wax job today.

Body is a bit different as is some of the suspension/chassis bracing. Had a good look as I have to figure out what if any mods I want to do.

Put on the wheels from my traded 06 MZ3. They are 18x7.5 and 45 offset. 225/40 tires (About a 1 1/2 wider stance than stock) Seem to fill the fenderwells perfectly. No rubbing. Tire pressure sensor going off now. Duuh guess I need to swap the TPS sensors from the stock rims. Stock wheel weight approx 48.5 pounds. New ones approx 44.4 pounds. I can feel the difference cornering. Maybe a little quieter than the stock tires as well.

Pics sometime Monday.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
[quote author=zoom_craigy_zoom link=topic=68447.msg1184638#msg1184638 date=1170522378]
Seems everyone is jumping on the speed3 bandwagon. It makes me want to do it more and more, but I just don't think I can afford to at this point in time.
[/quote]

Sure you can. Kids don't need college these days. Hell you can go work at McDonalds for 40k a year. Just get some cheap spanish lessons.

·
Registered
15,112 Posts
I'm already paying like $475/month for the ride and the insurance... I have a feeling the Mazdaspeed3 would bump BOTH of those numbers up a bit. Can't really afford to do that. I'm all set with the McDonald's route.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
[quote author=zoom_craigy_zoom link=topic=68447.msg1184638#msg1184638 date=1170522378]
Seems everyone is jumping on the speed3 bandwagon.
[/quote]

I'll hang back with you. My Velo Hatch is quite enough right now. We'll always wish for more HP, just like we wish for more - well whatever you wish for. I just made the 18th payment on mine and I still don't have any complaints. :goodjob:

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
[quote author=Sealy link=topic=68447.msg1186531#msg1186531 date=1170627742]
Seems everyone is jumping on the speed3 bandwagon.
[/quote]

I'll hang back with you. My Velo Hatch is quite enough right now. We'll always wish for more HP, just like we wish for more - well whatever you wish for. I just made the 18th payment on mine and I still don't have any complaints. :goodjob:
[/quote]

Someone needs to hang back in the normal ones, to make picking kills easier for us boosted types. I still get funny looks when they see the Mazdaspeed badge on mine, and even funnier when I do a 4th gear pull on them.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
[quote author=mndsm link=topic=68447.msg1186586#msg1186586 date=1170629426]
Someone needs to hang back in the normal ones, to make picking kills easier for us boosted types. I still get funny looks when they see the Mazdaspeed badge on mine, and even funnier when I do a 4th gear pull on them.
[/quote]

God, it makes me hot the way you talk. I'd love to have a boosted type pull his 4th gear on me. :roll:

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
You'd like it if I did that, but i'm afraid the missus would ground me.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
[quote author=zoom_craigy_zoom link=topic=68447.msg1186234#msg1186234 date=1170615244]
I'm already paying like $475/month for the ride and the insurance... I have a feeling the Mazdaspeed3 would bump BOTH of those numbers up a bit. Can't really afford to do that. I'm all set with the McDonald's route.
[/quote]
I was shocked when I called my insurance agent and they said it was an additional 30 dollars a year for my speed3!

When BMW came out with the M3 I had a Euro BMW 323 I had built. I was raising two kids. No way could I justify the M3. Now kids are in college. I reckoned I would just get the speed3. Sorta the same situation as way back then. I upgraded this time because I can! Lucky me finally!

The way the speed 3 pulls in third fourth and fifth, effortlessly putting you in excess of 120, makes me realize how serious this ride actually is. I reckon Mazda should make it a prerequisite to do a few track days if you own this car. 5k more on sticker than my 06 MZ3?? THE best value.

OK tint tomorrow and then some pics!

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
[quote author=dp3 link=topic=68447.msg1186918#msg1186918 date=1170642255]
[quote author=zoom_craigy_zoom link=topic=68447.msg1186234#msg1186234 date=1170615244]
[/quote]
I was shocked when I called my insurance agent and they said it was an additional 30 dollars a year for my speed3!

When BMW came out with the M3 I had a Euro BMW 323 I had built. I was raising two kids. No way could I justify the M3. Now kids are in college. I reckoned I would just get the speed3. Sorta the same situation as way back then. I upgraded this time because I can! Lucky me finally!

The way the speed 3 pulls in third fourth and fifth, effortlessly putting you in excess of 120, makes me realize how serious this ride actually is. I reckon Mazda should make it a prerequisite to do a few track days if you own this car. 5k more on sticker than my 06 MZ3?? THE best value.

[/quote]

Yeah, I know how that is. This thing is kind of beastly. Wait, a lot beastly. And it's all wrapped up in a package that screams "Take me to the grocery store!"

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
[quote author=mndsm link=topic=68447.msg1186924#msg1186924 date=1170642438]
[quote author=dp3 link=topic=68447.msg1186918#msg1186918 date=1170642255]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah, I know how that is. This thing is kind of beastly. Wait, a lot beastly. And it's all wrapped up in a package that screams "Take me to the grocery store!"
[/quote]

Yes beastly is a good term. I had a towing storage yard next door to a company of mine, it ain't pretty what happens when a car hits something at 100 MPH or to a human being who goes from 100 to zero in a couple seconds.

You take this really cute almost mommysacker looking car to the store, hit it on the onramp, maybe not paying 100 percent attention to the fact that your rig is a rocket. Possible BIG trouble. I raced autoexe and slalom etc for a LONG time. I know what is going to happen when I make a mistake on a closed course. Throw in the average American driver who never looks in his mirror. Scares the S--t out of me. I am monitoring my mindset with this car. Sure is hella fun though.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Yeah, I have made that mistake once or twice. Come cooking along, drop to 4th to clear past some traffic, and i'm doing 110..... freaked me out a bit, because it didn't even feel like it.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
[quote author=mndsm link=topic=68447.msg1187491#msg1187491 date=1170687573]
Yeah, I have made that mistake once or twice. Come cooking along, drop to 4th to clear past some traffic, and i'm doing 110..... freaked me out a bit, because it didn't even feel like it.
[/quote]

EXACTLY! But in spite of all of this HP, I'm still going to add the CAI and likely the exhaust as well possibly. What is that motto again? "Be all you can be" ?
Or is it "Stupid is as Stupid does" ? We will see. LOL. I think I will just put "restraint is a virtue" on my steering wheel. Should have some pics tonight finally.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
[quote author=dp3 link=topic=68447.msg1187504#msg1187504 date=1170688220]
[quote author=mndsm link=topic=68447.msg1187491#msg1187491 date=1170687573]
[/quote]

EXACTLY! But in spite of all of this HP, I'm still going to add the CAI and likely the exhaust as well possibly. What is that motto again? "Be all you can be" ?
Or is it "Stupid is as Stupid does" ? We will see. LOL. I think I will just put "restraint is a virtue" on my steering wheel. Should have some pics tonight finally.
[/quote]

I think it's-

"Enough is never enough"

Because I plan to do exactly the same. Why go really fast, when you can go really REALLY fast?

1 - 20 of 113 Posts