Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I just got me a new 2008 Mazda3 s Touring hatchback, Stormy Blue Mica, manual with the moonroof package. Coming from a mildly modified and long-loved '99 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro. Managed to total the Audi in a depressingly low-speed accident, but I'm already over it with this sweet-handling little beauty. Now I have to start making it my own. On my to-do list:

Hardwire Passport 8500 radar detector (figure I'll go through the headlining down the passenger A-pillar to an open fuse)
Leather shift boot - I can't believe how chincy the stock one is
Leather steering wheel cover
Snow tires

Fortunately, I was able to salvage an almost new set of snow tires from my Audi, and they happen to be the right size for the 3 - 205,55,R16. Unfortunately, the bolt pattern is different. Does anyone have an old set of stock 16" wheels from the earlier 3 (ideally '04-'06 vintage, but I'm not picky) that they want to unload? I'm looking to do this on the cheap and would just get steel wheels from tirerack, but they're sold out for the season. Hell, I'd be happy to pick up a set of steel 16s if anyone has a set lying around.

On the shift boot, is there one that is all-black? I have a tan cloth interior and would rather not go w/ the red stitching on the one that seems most readily available. Also, I may want to wait on this one for a short-throw shifter. Haven't decided whether to go with that or not (it did wonders for the Audi, but the throw on the 3 isn't as obnoxiously long).

For the steering wheel cover, I'm looking at the AutoExe dimple wrap. Anyone have this and love/hate it? Any other suggestions for stock-looking covers?

Hopefully, this is the right place for these questions. Still learning my way around the site; there's no classifieds section, is there? Thanks...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Welcome to the forum! :)

[quote author=AZoom link=topic=134578.msg2892850#msg2892850 date=1233037338]Fortunately, I was able to salvage an almost new set of snow tires from my Audi, and they happen to be the right size for the 3 - 205,55,R16. Unfortunately, the bolt pattern is different. Does anyone have an old set of stock 16" wheels from the earlier 3 (ideally '04-'06 vintage, but I'm not picky) that they want to unload? I'm looking to do this on the cheap and would just get steel wheels from tirerack, but they're sold out for the season. Hell, I'd be happy to pick up a set of steel 16s if anyone has a set lying around.[/quote]Yeah, winter setups are easier to acquire earlier or out of season. I bought my 3 in October and having heard about how bad the RSA's are in the snow I ordered a winter setup a couple of weeks later (Town Fair Tire). Some people get their steel wheels from a junkyard.

[quote author=AZoom link=topic=134578.msg2892850#msg2892850 date=1233037338]On the shift boot, is there one that is all-black? I have a tan cloth interior and would rather not go w/ the red stitching on the one that seems most readily available. Also, I may want to wait on this one for a short-throw shifter. Haven't decided whether to go with that or not (it did wonders for the Audi, but the throw on the 3 isn't as obnoxiously long).[/quote]A shift boot is on my to-do list as well, it seems the main options are: TWM (fitted to their short shifter), dabears2k.com (forum sponsor, but the shift boots are ordered from shiftstyle) and redlinegoods.com (based in Europe but everyone raves about their quality). The latter two have a range of colour options so you should find something to match the beige interior.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the heads up on the shift boot

I like what I saw on the redlinegoods site. Now I just have to decide whether I'm getting a short throw shifter. Will need to do some research. Would prefer to shorten the throw but not overly shorten the height. The 2.5" height reduction on the TWM seems a little extreme.

·
Registered
166 Posts
[quote author=AZoom link=topic=134578.msg2895459#msg2895459 date=1233145563]
I like what I saw on the redlinegoods site. Now I just have to decide whether I'm getting a short throw shifter. Will need to do some research. Would prefer to shorten the throw but not overly shorten the height. The 2.5" height reduction on the TWM seems a little extreme.
[/quote]
These are basically your options:

TWM: as you said, very short height.
RKM (dabears2k.com): cheaper, straight shaft so actually angled up and to the right slightly.
Mazdaspeed: angled towards the driver, not much shorter than stock.
ARK: not sure how this compares, only a few people seem to have it.

finally just replacing the rubber brushings with solid ones for ~$20.

Here's a couple of threads you might want to read through:
http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=53982.0
http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=123703.0

1 - 6 of 6 Posts