Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New owner (well, since October of 2012). I already have a concern. I never knew that these advanced keyless entry keys were going to be such a hassle. If I had known this, I may have chosen a different car! :undecided:

Oh well, what to do now. What is the latest on how to buy an extra key cheap and/or self program them?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Texan -

I just got my 3 a couple of weeks ago. I haven't had any problems with the smart key, although I would have preferred an actual key. I think I remember reading somewhere in the OM how you could program some things--like which doors to open, minor things like that. It did look like a cumbersome process?

What sort of problems are you having?
Cheers,
~T

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Not having any problems - just worried about losing a key. Have you looked into what one of our fancy keys cost us if we had to replace one? It isn't cheap. I'm talking about these new keys that are enclosed within the FOB. The entire thing costs $300 if you want a new one at the dealer. Otherwise, I think the keyless process is fine. I understand the older type keys can be purchased relatively cheaply and programmed yourself. Anyone found a similar solution to these?

·
Registered
17 Posts
About the key thing, I work in insurance, and one of my carriers has an "Optimum Package" that adds a bunch of extra coverages bundled together, and one of them is a key replacement, which is a good thing to have when you have a key fob that will likely be more expensive than the normal keys used in previous models and slightly older cars. A friend of mine who has insurance through me used the coverage and got a replacement free of charge for her Lexus.

It's worth it to contact your own insurance agent and see if your carrier offers something similar, which may very well be the case if you're with a preferred company.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
, I work in insurance.
Thanks for qualifying that. :bigsmile:

I'm not a fan of insuring things - you're just PAYING for something you might never need. I'm looking to find a way to minimize cost - not increase them.

Thanks anyway.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I only said that so you know I'm not talking out of my ass, unlike a lot of other people who think they are experts when it comes to insurance just because they just have an insurance policy. But I'm not trying to sell you on anything either, it's just that people don't always know what's out there, and it was asked about coverage for keys.

Again, it's up to you. Like any insurance, you may never even use it, so it's up to you. Personally, I chose not to get it since I felt like I wouldn't really utilize it (or most of the bundled coverages) anyway. Not that key replacements were the deciding factor, but in my case, the keys to my car (Evo IX) are still the basic keys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts